Les Paul wiring ideas needed....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Testudo, May 19, 2004.

1. Testudo

Testudo Member

I am looking into putting 4-lead humbuckers in my Les Paul. I would like to tap them, using one of the following schemes:
    1) a push-pull pot,
    2) one of the tone knobs as a blend between full hum and full single, the other tone pot working on both pickups
    3) one tone knob for both pickups, the other (ex-) tone pot as a push-pull tap plus something extra (i.e., a "sweet switch", or really, a "sweet pot")
    4) something I haven't thought of that would be even cooler

I do not want to drill any holes, just replace what's there as needed.

I would appreciate any diagrams or directions to an appropriate diagram online.

Thanks!!

Peter

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

If you don't need to use the single-coil sounds with the tone controls rolled down - just the humbuckers - you can coil-split both pickups independently using the tone pots themselves.

You need to connect the center tag of the pot directly to the volume control. In the standard wiring it goes via the cap, but you need to move the cap to between the CCW tag and ground. Then connect the (normally unused) CW tag to the coil junction of the pickup. You get: Tone control on 10 - single coil; tone control on about 8 - full humbucker; and normal tone operation on the full humbucker sound below that.

3. Testudo

Testudo Member

:eek:
    That's just crazy! I may have to try that. Can you explain how it works? I'm completely baffled - does it have something to do with the taper of the pot?

4. Testudo

Testudo Member

John - I installed the bridge pickup per your instructions. The coil-tapping feature works, but from 8 to 0 it acts like a volume control, not a tone.
    Here's what I did:
    center tag of tone pot -> center tag of vol pot (-> red lead of pickup)
    CW (as you look at it from underneath!) tag of tone pot -> green and white p/u leads
    CCW tag tone pot -> cap -> ground.

Where di I go wrong?

5. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

It sounds like either the tone cap is shorted (possible, if you're unsoldered and resoldered it - the heat might have done it) or you have a 'stray' connection from the CCW tag to ground.

The way it works is quite simple - with the center tag connected to the pickup 'hot', when you turn it up to 10 you're connecting that to the coil-split junction too, and bypassing one of the coils.

BTW, normally I would expect the pickup hot to be connected to the volume pot CW tag, not the center, although that doesn't explain why the tone control doesn't work...

6. hoochiecoochie

hoochiecoochie Member

7. Testudo

Testudo Member

That's how it was originally. I've only moved things as necessary. I may have a chance to play with it some more over the weekend, in which case I'll update my progress. Thanks for your help.

hoochiecoochie: thanks for the link. guitarelectronics and the much more bizarre Japanese mods site (can't think of the name) are my next stop!