Les Paul wiring or pickup problem

Bill

The bridge pickup on my 1952 Les Paul has been cutting out but then it will come back on. This happened several times every so often and then it went off and has stayed that way. It has its original pots and wiring but I installed PAFs in it many years ago. The neck pickup works fine. I sort of suspect the pot but it has never been scratchy. How do I isolate the problem? Thanks...

Mooncusser

Test your connections.....
With a multimeter: Continuity on the pup, pot, and check the solder connections especially.
Good luck-

I just had the same problem with an alpha pot, tapping on the knob would bring it back. It could also be the switch or a broken connection. Take the cover off the cavity and test the pot for continuity, if the current will pass through it the problem is elsewhere. Next try a continuity test between the switch lug and the pot.

Bill

I put the volt meter on the end of the cord and the neck pickup tested fine but I didn't get a signal from the bridge pickup so I started wiggling the switch and some signal came through intermittently. I then took the cover off of the switch and tried to get it out of the cavity but it would only come out part way and I didn't want to force it. As soon as I took off the metal ring and started pulling it through the cavity the pickup started working. I switched it several times and it continued to work so I put the metal ring back on and as well as the cover and all seems to be working fine now. I played it for a half hour or so switching back and forth between pickups and so far, so good. What do think is the problem? ( I am sure glad it was not the pickup)

KGWagner

May have just been some sawdust, oxydization or something else on the switch contacts and fondling it cleared it. Or, there could be a cold/loose solder connection that got a little tighter just by moving things around. In either case, the "fix" probably won't last. You might want to consider putting another switch in there.

Trending Topics