Les Paul Wiring questions and recomendations

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by SFW, Sep 14, 2005.

1. SFW

SFW Member

Question for you tone gurus. I have a 2001 Les Paul Classic that I picked up several months ago. The original owner had put EMGs in the guitar. When I bought it he threw in the original pups. I would like to reinstall the original pups, as I like their tone in my ESP. But that’s another story… Anyway… I know I want to use 500k pots, but what resister (or capacitor… what ever you call that thing) value should I use between the volume pot and the tone pot?

Also, I’ve heard some mention of using an aluminum tail piece on Lesters. What are the advantages of doing that? If you have any other recommendations, while I’m at it, I’d be more than happy to entertain them.

Thanks! JD

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

Do some searches at www.lespaulforum.com. Guys there have written small novellas on those subjects.

3. justicetones

justicetones Member

Those are Capacitors or caps as they are often called. I think stock is a .033mfd for a Les Paul but not totally sure. Of course .047mfd is stock for most strats. I installed Mallory .022mfd caps in my Les Paul. (these are a little more subtle tone roll off, doesn't get as dark.) And crazy as I am I experimented and really dug a 1meg pot for the bridge pickups volume. It made the pickups sound even bigger. Essentially the higher value pot allows more of the pickups power to get to your amp. Sounded good on my guitar. Anyways the caps sound really good. I got all of the stuff from Torres engineering. By the way check out the volume kits too. They really are great if you roll off your volume alot. They help preserve all of the tone as you do. Torres Engineering- Les paul caps

Chris

4. armitage

armitage Guest

.022mfd caps are choice for humbuckers.