Les Paul with 25 1/2" scale

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tiltrite, Mar 19, 2006.

1. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

Love the sound of my pauls, but love the feel of my strat. Who makes a LP style with a longer scale neck? I'm sure there's someone who does.

2. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member

Gibson scale is 24.75" scale. PRS makes a Single Cut 25"
    Not sure if any body makes 25.5"

3. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Suhr Carved Top Standard is the best hybrid Les Paul / Strat out there IMHO. You can get it in all mahogany with figured maple carved top and it has a 25 1/2" scale length. Feels great, sounds great and looks fantastic! And can do a killer job nailing Les Paul AND Strat tones! Here's one I had until last week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Hamer Monoco Superpro Elite. Really nice guitar too.

5. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

I believe the Super Pro is a 25.5" scale, but slightly larger than a LP.

Evan Skopp, the V.P. of Seymour Duncan had a custom Hamer Jr. made with a 25.5" scale, so I guess they can adapt that scale to other models too.

Hamer Super Pro

Long Scale Jr.

6. Boomdoggy

Boomdoggy Supporting Member

The GMP's were 25.5 I think.

7. martie6621

martie6621 Silver Supporting Member

8. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

Hey Jim- It might be my swan which began stretching my fingers out towards liking the longer scales! Everyone who sees/hears it comments on the quilted shedua top, too. Gassing for a solidbody swan now. Maybe a "swan-paul": mahogany body with maple top etc... :Devil

The superpro looks to be right on the money. '59 burst oh yeah. My only reservation is that in the early 90's I had a hamer special that I just couldn't bond with- i remember the neck being too wide/flat for my taste. What's the neck shape like on the superpro?

9. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

10. MVrider

MVrider Member

Small detail, I know, but the PRS site says 25 1/4" scale...

11. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Give me a call over the next couple days and we can talk about it. We've got a brand new chambered version of the solid body that might make mahogany work pretty well, assuming that we could get a really good piece of mahogany.

As for the Superpro, my recollection is a moderate C, but I only had it here for a few days and it was almost two years ago. I sure enjoyed playing it while it was here though.

12. yabba

yabba Member

13. billywade

billywade Member

A few years back it seems like Gibson made a Les Paul Pro that was 25.5" scale. I think it was a double cut. Headstock may have been slightly different. Nice looking guitars. I can't imagine that they would be too pricey.

14. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I've been gassing for a long scale Les Paul type guitar, too. Thinking Warmoth or similar might be the way tp go.

15. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

wow, those are NICE; but IIRC they only come in a 25". I wonder if Nik would make one at 25 1/2" . I like the super scooped heel- that's a great feature on an LP type guitar.

16. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Whoa! Please let us know if that project is a go!! Would love to see the results!!:AOK

17. einstein

einstein Member

if a guitar has 24 frets how does that effect scale? ie does a 24 fret strat for instance still have a 25 1/2 scale? why are there so few 24 fret guitars? vigier and carvin are usually 24 fret i know.

18. Antero

Antero Member

Scale length is unaffected by the number of frets. Adding more frets just makes the fingerboard extend further over the body of the guitar (which can move the neck pickup, which some people don't like).

19. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

20. bailnout

bailnout Member

Something to think about when doing a Les Paul type guitar with a longer scale length is that you either have to have the amount of neck sticking out from the body be the same and have the fingerboard move into the body (harder to reach the upper frets) OR have more neck sticking out so your bridge and pickups stay in the same places on the body (gets unbalanced when standing) OR a combination of the two which is somewhat of a compromise either way.

On of the reasons a Strat style body works well with that scale is because of where the strap button ends up. It helps keep the balance of the guitar when standing. Also, the size of the body makes the bridge position comfortable.

Back in the 50's they really were thinking about what they were doing when they designed those two guitars. Probably a good reason why they endure today and most everything else is either a derivative of one or the other (or a compromise with varying degrees of success)