• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Les Paul with belly cut

sidk47

I have never tried a 24.75" scale guitar before.

Will it be easier to play than a strat or super strat?

I'm looking for a les paul with a belly cut.

Can each of you be so kind as to chip in with your 2 cents on what are my options?

I find a strat very ergonomic, not sure whether a les paul can do that too.

Thank you.

Yamaha 350

I have never seen a LP with a belly cut. ESP/LTD-EC-50 made one almost 400 dollars. But a Gibson with a belly cut. I have never seen one.

sidk47

Let me rephrase my requirement. I'm looking for a 24.75" scale length les paul type of guitar with a belly cut, what are my options?

mcuguitar

My late nineties Gibson Les Paul Special has a belly cut. Very comfortable at around 7.5 pounds.

IR79

I have two my Les Paul Axcess and my Les Paul Junior Special

My Axcess is a Cherry Sunburst stop tail and has a slightly thinner body and shaved neck heel making it easier to play on the dusty end of the neck.

The Junior Special is two P90s and no maple cap so probably not what you are looking for.

I also have a normal Les Paul without a belly cut and I don't find it makes a lot of difference

I also once owned an ESP Eclipse that had a belly cut which are also a great option.

Last edited:

stahlhart

Silver Supporting Member
Was common in Les Paul copies back in the late '70s / early '80s. Ibanez and Aria Pro II come to mind. Don't see too many of them these days, and they had bolted necks anyway.

guitararmy

My DeArmond M72 (copy of a Guild Bluesbird I think) has a 24.75" scale length and a belly cut...however the maple top is flat.

kherman

Carvin CS and PRS Single cut come to mind. But, they will be 25" scale.
The prs McCarty will be 24.5.
I honestly don't notice a change when switching between my 24.75 and 25" scale length guitars. 24.75 to 25.5 I do.

Last edited:

Chicago Slim

The biggest difference between a Gibson 24.75" and PRS 24.5" scale, is how they measure them. If you measure a Gibson on the 4th string, like PRS, you will come up with 24.6".

PRS 245 Singlecuts, have a belly cut, although it's less pronounced than a Strat's. And many are as light or lighter than a Strat.

Last edited:

mikebat

It won't be easier to play because the Strat has the best ergonomics of any traditional guitar. The shorter scale will make the touch a little lighter though

bismark

Belly cuts on LP and Tele will improve playing comfort. But traditionalists and purists stand in the way.

Bankston

Les Paul Axcess is the answer. Because it's a Custom Shop production model, they are pricey new. But you can find good deals on the used market, especially for the hard tail version.

dwoverdrive

Silver Supporting Member
If you have a belly.

A belly cut does only one thing for me. It sets the guitar at an awkward angle against my body.
I dont have a particularly big belly, but its always puzzled me how a belly cut reaches the top of guitar players' feature list when selecting a guitar. It's just a weird fit. The OP is just inquiring to get feelers out there on belly cut Les Pauls so I get that but on one hand you've got guys agonizing over the smallest thing on a Les Paul and it's impact on the tone, and on the other hand you've got the guy that starts his list with belly cut only guitars. Thats really at the top of the list for some guys. Different strokes I guess.
I agree with 27Sauce. If you dont have much of a belly, the belly cut kind of works against you. I love the Strat body sitting down, could do without it standing up.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom