Les Paul XR-1

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Macs69, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Macs69

Macs69 Member

Fishing for opinions on a 1982 Les Paul XR-1. What's your feedback, and what do you think one's worth in Silverburst, very clean shape.

2. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

I sold my 1982 XR-1, (tobacco burst) and I got about $800. It had non original pickups, but I did sell it with the neck Dirty Fingers PU.

Jack

3. Macs69

Macs69 Member

Thanks! Would the XR-1 be the equivalent of the modern Studio? or a Standard?

4. chetsmith

chetsmith Member

I had a Cherry Sunburst XR-1 i bought it at a Pawn Shop for $200 and turned around sold it for $750.00, this was a couple of years ago... Huge Neck as I recall...

5. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

The Studio was released, IIRC, just a year or two after the XR-1 was dropped and was marketed as a "no frills" Les Paul. Like the XR-1, the first Studios had no binding (they still don't) and dot inlays. In fact, the only real differences I can see between the two instruments is that the XR-1 had Dirty Fingers PUs, a coil tap switch and, of course, the larger headstocks.

So yeah, the XR-1 gave way to the Studio.

IIRC, Gibson also had a "XR-2" with mini humbuckers.