• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Les Pauls and string / pole piece alingment?

Wmacky

So I'm buying a Les Paul online tonight. and have been going through gallery pics looking for just the right one. Kinda OCD on fit and finish. I found one with super nice grain, but when check string alignment, ( always a check I like to do) I was disappointed that it didn't pass the test. I checked several other, and found this appear pretty common. Actually it wasn't easy finding many with perfected alignment. Hell this even included very expensive models.

I found one that was perfect, but with lesser grain goodness. :-( It is lighter ad that's a plus though. Am Ito OCD about this as it seems pretty common? Do other people check for such things? I rarely buy guitars, and this very well could the the Les Paul for life. I don't like the idea of settling for the lifetime guitar....

Would you settle for a less nice finish for better alignment? Here's the pic of the one I like that had nice grain, but not so great alignment. Notice both the pole pieces at the bridge pickup, also look at the spacing of the 2 E strings from the edge of the neck near the neck pickup. Looks way off to me.

Click the Photo for a bigger view if you didn't know.

Wmacky

Here' one with good alignment , pickup AND neck. Grain's not as nice but is ok? It is 4OZ lighter though!

55GibsonLPJR

String alignment can easily look wrong in a picture but when you see it in person its fine. Even if its off in person, you can either cut new slots in the saddles to correct it OR worst case, get a new nut made and get a new bridge. The finish and grain isn't so easy to fix.

Wmacky

I should say the good grain pic guitar is 9lb 12oz the second pic is 9lbs 8 oz. I really like the first one though ( except for that alignment issue)

Strange thing is the neck pickup is good. If the neck was shifted, or the bridge was moved ( to correct the bridge pickup) the neck pickup would be off, and the bridge pickup looks to be position right going by the pickguard! Hard to tell with the BR pickup is off?

Perhaps it is the pic, but the pic angle seems dead on straight?

Anyway, gotta make a choice!

Wmacky

Well looking closer at A higher rez pic the wound E string appears not to be dead center on the saddle, It appears that centering it will mostly cure the issue by moving it slightly right. Same with the high E moving it slightly right as needed as well.
Even though it's a little heaver I'm going to go with pic #1. It's a beaut!

Hears a better look at the saddles.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Good eye! I see that as well. Never can tell with pics though. Sometimes the lens lies!

SPROING!

Moving the camera one or two degrees either direction will change the appearance altogether. I would not trust a photo to judge string alignment unless I saw multiple front pics and it showed consistently from different angles.

jhale

Silver Supporting Member
-Ive played F spaced pickups in les pauls and there wasnt a huge difference. Centered on pole piece may not be the optimum position on that guitar. Regardless they are still on pole piece just not centered. The real challenge for me would to play them side by side. Also you can have your luthier cut slots on a new bridge

guitarjb44

Silver Supporting Member
If comparing only those two, it's a non-issue- because judging from those photos: 1) neither of them appear perfectly aligned; 2) they are both aligned well enough that it will not present any issue whatsoever in terms of the pickups "hearing" each string. However, if I had to choose based on alignment, it would be the first- the heavier one on which you prefer the grain. That one looks more symmetrically aligned to me- again, based on those photos.

Joe

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
You can change the alignment by replacing and re-notching the bridge saddle(s).

Wmacky

This thread is too funny.... :rotflmao.
Perhaps? But, I'm sure I'm not the only one concerned with fit and finish when shelling out a couple grand. glad I could amuse you. Your welcome! :)

Anyway, I'm counting minutes now until it arrives. It will be a long weekend!

Ape Factory

If it were me, I'd be more concerned with how the strings are spaced on the fretboard in relation to what you like and your playing style. Over the pickup, that minute amount, doesn't matter one iota. Plus, all that can be fixed quite easily by a luther. It shouldn't have to be but it can be done. It's such a crap shoot, especially buying a Gibson, online. Could be a number of things wrong with it that you don't catch in photos, one being the tone. It could suck. Or the one with the most maligned strings could have the voice of an angel.

icr

So I'm buying a Les Paul online tonight. and have been going through gallery pics looking for just the right one. Kinda OCD on fit and finish. I found one with super nice grain, but when check string alignment, ( always a check I like to do) I was disappointed that it didn't pass the test. I checked several other, and found this appear pretty common. Actually it wasn't easy finding many with perfected alignment. Hell this even included very expensive models.

I found one that was perfect, but with lesser grain goodness. :-( It is lighter ad that's a plus though. Am Ito OCD about this as it seems pretty common? Do other people check for such things? I rarely buy guitars, and this very well could the the Les Paul for life. I don't like the idea of settling for the lifetime guitar....

Would you settle for a less nice finish for better alignment? Here's the pic of the one I like that had nice grain, but not so great alignment. Notice both the pole pieces at the bridge pickup, also look at the spacing of the 2 E strings from the edge of the neck near the neck pickup. Looks way off to me.

Click the Photo for a bigger view if you didn't know.

Is your issue with the placement of the stop piece? String spacing is set when you set it up and notch the saddles. Are you new to electric guitar?

cdntac

If you're worried about that, what's gonna happen when you do a full stop bend on the high E or B string and the bend causes the string to not be over a screw at all??!!

Seriously, total non issue what you're worrying about.

Buy whatever one speaks to you the most.

Wmacky

Is your issue with the placement of the stop piece? String spacing is set when you set it up and notch the saddles. Are you new to electric guitar?

Na not new here, about 35 years in. Yeah I know there is notch adjustment possible, but a straight shot down the center of every saddle is always preferred......

Last edited:

Trending Topics