Les Pauls - anything else?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mude, Apr 26, 2005.

1. mude

mude Supporting Member

A really good Les Paul sounds like, well........a really good Les Paul.

There are plenty of complaints and faults to be found i suppose. But, is there anything that is as fat, round and warm as a good Les Paul?

A Suhr is my number one, but there is no question in my mind that a Les Paul does its thing incredibly well. Suhr, Tyler and others have really taken the Fender style stuff to a level that I personally really enjoy.

Is there anything out there that rivals an LP for that fat warm vintage tone and has extended what it does while actually retaining what is great about an LP. A really good Baker B1 may be as close as I have found to what I am describing. Most others I have tried have tended to be thinner, brighter and without the warmth and mid-punch that I love about a great LP.

Any thoughts?

Evan.

2. Mark C

Mark C Member

I think it's a combination of the huge mahogany back and the neck joint that make it sound like that. Notice that every time someone changes these things, the sound changes. The only builder I've heard of that people say gets that tone is Gustavsson, and he uses the big mahogany back and the LP neck joint.

3. AD

AD Supporting Member

My first thought was a B1 also. The Trussart Steel Paul was my fav LP style axe but slightly brighter than a paul. GMP apparently makes a killer LP.

4. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I've played a number of Hamer and Heritage guitars that I thought did the fat, warm, round thing at least as well as Les Paul's. I've also played lots of LPs that were thin and crappy sounding. IMHO, they are the Harley Davidson of guitars- using a reputation to sell at a premium price when there are less expensive guitars which are just as good or better.

5. HHB

HHB Member

some TCM's get very close , some Hamers as well

6. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Nothing I've found. Hamer may be the closest.

GUAL likes this.
  7. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I'm a huge Les Paul fan, but I have to say I love my Prs Singlecut as well. Different feel, but very nice sound. And of course I prefer the Prs quality myself. But I do love my Les Pauls, and I've had many many Les Pauls in the past. I do think the Singlecut rivals the Les Paul. Just my opinion.
    Larry

8. Ironman

Ironman Member

After I bought a '57 reissue LP I just couldn't play anything else! Unbelievable tone and feel! Fattest tone I've experienced! My PRS Singlecuts sounded like strats next to the Historics so I sold them to get another Historic. I just got a '58 that is also a monster!

Historics are the way to go, fat necks and long tenon make all the difference...to me. From my experience, they're definitely a cut above the Standard LP's too...and I used to think that Standard LP's were the "Cat's Meow" for huge tone...not anymore.

Steve

9. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Hi, my name is Mark and I am a Les Paul-aholic.

Despite rumors of terrible quality and wacked out business practices I keep coming back to Les Pauls and other Gibson guitars like a fly to poop. I always seem to find a good LP when I look for one and sometimes when I'm not even looking. Historics are my fave, but I even like the standards I've tried.

When Gibson opens their corporate store in a town near me I will be there. Of course they better offer discounts.

In the interest of fairness, however, I am more than willing to spend time with guitars by Hamer, Heritage, Baker, Gustavsson and any other make that offers a chance for some good tones.

;)

10. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

i've heard some close, but nothin's like the real thing.

and i love the tone of mine even more since i put .11's on it. :dude

11. mude

mude Supporting Member

This has nothing to do with whether there are other guitars that are great, but different. I have owned a bunch of other great singlecut set neck guitars. They just have not had the round full tones of a great LP.

I agree there are some very weak sounding and playing LPs out there. No question. But, a good one really is something special IMO. Big bottom. Punchy mids. Not brittle on top.

I think the Harley example may be a good one. Lots of things might be more consistant and have a better quality reputation. But, Harleys and LPs have a lot of character and are the feel, vibe and tone are enjoyed and sought after by many. Find a good one and enjoy the ride. (I have owned a couple of Harleys as well by the way).

I have bought good ones and sold them as well, but it is great to play a Les Paul every once in a while just to be reminded of how good that tone can be. I may sell mine (who knows?), but it is still a fun ride. If I do, I bet I visit the LP ranch again sometime.

Evan.

12. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Nothing else does it for me. I have 4 Historics. I also have 7 other guitars---PRS, Anderson, Fender, etc. I will occasionally bring a non-LP to a gig. After a few songs of that, it is back to a Les Paul. I love the way they feel, sound and respond in my hands.

13. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

Feed the monster: Find a yerself a good Les Paul Jr. :D

14. Ogre

Ogre Member

Grosh set-neck?
    Gustaffson(sp?)
    My McInturff Taurus Sportster w/ P90s is a wonderful guitar, and is of the Les Paul-design, but it i sonicly somewhere between a Les Paul and a Telecaster.
    Les Pauls are all over the map. I would play as many as you can, and find one that "speaks" to you. Enjoy the hunt.

15. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I wish they weren't so friggin heavy. Puts 'em out of the running for me. :(

Now this is from a guy who can bench press nearly 300# at age 58. But that's lying down :rolleyes: Standing up is a whole other realm......

jon

16. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Most, or at least the dozen knock offs I've owned or tried, of the guitars chasing the LP dragon end up too articulate sounding. Which can be a good thing, for sure, but it makes equal comparisons very difficult and, eventually, a great sounding Les Paul that more impressive.

I think they are fantastic guitars, although I greatly prefer {at least today} the P90 versions over the usual humbucker models.

17. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

Pretty much every Hamer studio or studio custom did it. I have to give the nod to the Hamer Monaco elite mahogany also. Heritage 150 cm will do it also.

18. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I like Les Paul's a lot, except for a lot of these the Rhythm setting just sounds terrible!
    Personally I like the rhythm to have a bit of bright to it as well.
    I feel that 57 classics and burstbuckers especially in an Elegant or Class 5 give me that.
    Besides that a GMP Pawnshop Deluxe with SD '59s just can't be beat, I think the shorter scale length might give it some extra bite/bright? (Note how all these are chambered)
    In the none chambered department, I have a J Nunis Standard which absolutely kills, but it is Mahogany body with a three piece Maple neck. Again the Rhythm has some bright in it and well lead absolutely kills .. I think it has SD antiquities can't be certain lest I pull them though.

19. hemlock

hemlock Guest

"This has nothing to do with whether there are other guitars that are great, but different."

I wasn't trying to say that the Hamers and Heritages were different but just as good. I have played and heard many of them that could not be distinguished from a Les Paul if that was the tone that the player was going for. Except for maybe the Historics, I just don't think Les Pauls are special, tone-wise, when compared to the other guitars I mentioned.

20. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

SG, SG, SG, SG.......... Tastes great, less filling.