1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Les Pauls: Weight-Relieved, Chambered, Neither

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by FireBottle, May 16, 2011.

Les Paul Construction

1. Weight-Relieved (a.k.a. 'Swiss Cheesed')

2. Chambered

3. Neither - Gimme a hunk-a-wood

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

I have a 2001 Stnd. that weighs in at 8 lbs. 10 oz. I played a new Stnd. in GC yesterday and I guess they're all chambered now - unless you go with a 'Traditional' which is weight-relieved (9-holes, a.k.a. 'swiss cheesed')...

What's the general consensus on these two types of construction vs. neither option, which puts you in a Custom Historic I believe...?

2. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Member

thanks for making this post i was wondering the same thing since Ive been looking into Lps recently

3. pattste

pattste Member

I love my chambered 07 LP Standard :

[​IMG]

I think chambered LPs sound a little different. Some (special run) Historics are chambered also, they are called CR9s, CR0s, etc. They are some of the most sought-after Historics. I never had the chance to play one unfortunately.

4. geekocaster

geekocaster Member

Chambered or Weight Relieved for me. The full weight guitars are too much for me after a set.

5. Rexfordbridge

Rexfordbridge Member

The traditional guitars sound better to my ear. I like the feel too. I don't play live or I might have a different opinion.

6. mototpsychel

mototpsychel Member

Whatever works for you. I prefer the solid hunk of wood - but the lighter the better.

As we all know, every guitar can sound different - even if they're both constructed exactly the same way. So your chambered can sound completely different than your friends chambered..

7. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I've only ever played solid and weight relieved Les Pauls and there were too many other differences between the guitars to tell the difference!

8. wizard333

wizard333 Member

Weight relieved - I dont hear a ton of difference between that and solid.

Chambered - sounds like a semi hollow more than a LP, in fact if you look at the x-rays, it is a hollow body sans F holes. Thats not good or bad, but its not the tone you expect from an LP.

FWIW historics use the lightest wood, my solid historic weighs less than my weight relieved LP and the same as a lot of chambered ones.

9. jtg116

jtg116 Too Many Guitars, Too Little Time

I've owned a bunch of LPs, too never a Historic, but my standard faded is a fantasic guitar after a bunch of tweaking by my tech John Gibson. It feels like an old friend.

10. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Chambered strikes me as happening for a tonal purpose. The swiss cheese thing feels like an inelegant solution, something much better achieved through different wood selection. So I love trying chambered guitars, but would rather not have a weight relieved one.
    MD

11. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

I like them all but historics sound best to my ears.

Solid ones usually weigh the same or less than weight-relieved ones.

12. goodwater

goodwater Member

i've had them all and there wasn't a stinker in the bunch

13. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

This. Had a 68 Custom RI, chambered, did not jibe with the tone. Not bad per se, just missing the girth of a 'real' lester. On the other hand, it was sub 7lbs and comfortable to play all night

14. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I bought a chambered Les Paul Elegant (Custom Shop) 14 years ago. The tone is definitely Les Paul, not 335. I bought it because the neck felt great, the tone was sweet, and at 8.0 pounds I could play 4 sets with no shoulder fatigue. It's my favorite of the 12 Pauls I've owned.
    http://postimage.org/image/263p7fwg4/

15. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

16. secretsoundz

secretsoundz Member

I agree. My chambered Les Paul Studio sounds like a cross between a LP and a 335. I miss the deep focused low end of a solid Les Paul a bit but it makes up for it with really nice airy cleans. In fact this particular guitar does some of the nicest cleans I've heard from a LP.

17. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

I've got all three and really don't have a preference. I am really into my Chambered R8 lately though. My CR8 sounds nothing like a semi hollow. FWIW the chambering is different on the Historics than the USA's, less wood taken out.

18. geekocaster

geekocaster Member

i have had one of each.
    Swiss cheese/weight relieved one is light
    my Chambered is a little heavier, but still comfortable
    and my non weight relieved was too heavy@ 10.5 lbs after long sets ny shoulder would get tired...

19. shane8

shane8 Member

pick one you like and forget about what's inside it - gibson says they are all les pauls

20. spence

spence Member

I've been playing Les Pauls since 1975. I just got a new limited edition LP Cutaway with P-90s. It's chambered and it feels solid as a rock. It also sounds like a million bucks. I'm sold.