les pauls - what are the sound differences?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sf audio, Jan 29, 2008.

1. sf audio

sf audio Member

Maybe this is stupid, but being a lefty, I don't get to play many les pauls....so what are the main differences between standard, deluxe, historic, reissues, etc. Select woods? pickups? I have a standard les paul - would the Jimmy Page model sound that much better? They are all very good guitars...Always wondered about this....:cool:

2. buffbiff21

buffbiff21 Member

Have a go at this:
    http://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/interviews/MrX.shtml

Tonally, no relation between price points in my experience as well. I've played some killer Studios and Faded models, and also some crappy Standards and Custom Shop models. For the most part I like the Gibsons coming to my local shops though (even GC). And yes, the main difference between Standard, Classic, Studio, etc... basically the select woods and finish. For example a Les Paul Supreme or Custom will have binding on the front and back, with a flame top and back. Inlays are different too. Pickups can be different as well, Burstbucker or 498T/496R. LP Classic uses 500T bridge p'up I believe.

3. auffredou

auffredou Member

interesting read. i just tried it, and my studio is doing that thing where it gets a tiny bit sharp on higher frets. do most guitars do that to an extent?

4. sf audio

sf audio Member

I kinda thought so...you can paint it up, select the best woods, and build it to perfection, but it may not have that certain "something". I paid $1200 for my used LP standard. I'm happy.

5. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

You just have to play a bunch, when you come across "the one" you will know immediately.
    It's instant love..... and most of the time it's an expensive reissue unfortunately.

;)

6. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

+1

On average the historic resissues are the best IMHO, but there are plenty of great sounding studios, standards and other LP models to be had.

And you may prefer the sound of an LP that is not a historic anyways. You are entitled to your own opinion.

Good Luck

:dude

7. MetalHeadd

MetalHeadd Member

It's all over the map quality wise, regardless of price range, so it's hard to give a specific answer, other than that they all sound different. I got my Les Paul early on in my playing days when I knew nothing about guitars, so I asked the repair guy at the store I was shopping in which was the best sounding Les Paul they had, and I bought that one. Still my #1 to this day.

When I helped my friend hunt for Les Pauls a year or 2 ago, we went to the local GC and tried many of them, same amp, same riff. Amazing the difference in sound. The best of the bunch was an older standard with 498/490 pickups and a 50s neck carve. It just had "it".

8. CGrisamore

CGrisamore Member

Try setting intonation by using the fretted note at the 5th fret and the 17th fret instead of the open string versus the 12th fret. Got this tip from the Peterson Strobe Tuner forum and I liked it better.