Les Pauls....Why oh why?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mikebriggs, Jan 7, 2006.

1. mikebriggs

mikebriggs Member

There's so many reasons not to deal with Gibson; be it poor QC, ridiculous business practices, better guitars on the market for the money, whatever....

And yet, I find there is no GAS worse than the LP lust.

I mostly lurk on here several times a day, and rarely post, but thismorning I had an experience that was really inspiring.

In a town about an hour from where I live, I had walked past the lone music store a few weeks ago and there was a guitar in the window that caught my eye. I kept walking, but wondered if my eyes had deceived me.

I was there again thismorning, and it turns out, my eyes were right. It was a Gibson Historic 1957 Goldtop. I actually had butterflies in my stomach just at the sight of it. I went in, and the clerk knows me, knows my tastes, and took one look at me and said, "You want to play the goldtop don't you?" I said "sorry" cause it was in the window, and involved a feat of acrobatics to dodge the 15 other planks that were in the window to get to it.

Anyway, I played it, and it's without a doubt the best guitar I've ever played. It just had THAT feel to it. I had to walk out empty handed today, but I asked if he could keep an eye on it, and not let the kiddies beat on it. Around here, a guitar like that will sit in the window awhile, so hopefully in the near future I'll be able to do it up, but for now, I just have to dream.

Why is it that Les Pauls seem to be able to do this to people? I am rarely impressed with guitars, and usually not attracted to Les Pauls. But something about this thing caught my eye in the window, sucked me in, and left me feeling like I just spent the day with a beautiful woman.

It's only a guitar!!

2. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

if you seen that guitar in canada it is more than likely wayyyyyyoverpriced......buy a 57 gt used 2001 or newer for way less bucks! like about $1600.usd up

3. mikebriggs

mikebriggs Member

haha, yeah, the ticket said 3599. The real price would be alot less I imagine, but certainly still not too reasonable.

Unfortunately, used gear seems to be a tricky deal out here in the Maritimes.

4. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

So True.[​IMG]

Probably why I get so pissed at Gibson and I'm so vocal about it. I know its a buisness and I gotta grow up.........but I really think the company has lost touch with how their product affects people and the emotions it evokes. Do they know how long it takes some of us to make $2000!!!? I just feel the company takes us for granted when they offer such defected Pieces of Crap for these large sums of money..............they dictate which ones we can or can not see.......... They screw my friends.........their long loyal dealers, it just pisses me off beyond belief. Don't even get me started on Tom Murphy. :FM [​IMG]

5. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

They are very expensive in Canada so I decided to build an lp copy from warmoth. It's cheaper and better quality than gibson. Plus I get to make it out of korina!

6. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

yeah a bolt on les paul!!!!!:jo

7. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

buy used from forums like this one...................you get some killer guitars with all the cool mods like cts pots,caps,wiring,killer paf clones etc.....way cheaper than new stock overpriced stuff in the maritimes.

8. Hoss

Hoss Member

i know exactly how you feel...there are soooo many great singlecut mahogany guitars with maple tops...tons of em...but...then you pick up a "good Paul" and there's just not much like it.

a great Les Paul and a great Tele...what else is there?!

9. Lestercollector

Lestercollector Supporting Member

One I guess could ask me a similar question. Why do I have so many Japanese Les Paul Clones? Well, when you find something that has true value, Craftmaship, and playability at a price that's 1/2 to 1/3 the price of Gibson USA (and some licensed in Japan by Gibson) why would not want to own a few? In the time that it would take me to save for one Gibson Les Paul, I could have bought one Orville, One Burny, and a Tokai.. I like Gibson Les Pauls, but I believe they are overpriced and the quality has gone down hill lately. My solution was to buy Japanese Les Paul Clones. It may not work for you, but it works great for me. The lure of the Paul is not limited by Gibson......

10. trisonic

trisonic Member

I can't get "het up" by Gibson practises (but I understand the intensity of the people that do).

My favourite saying about guitars is: "Buy the one that speaks to you when you play it". Yeah, OK, cracks about ventriloquist's dummies aside, you have to play a guitar to tell whether you ought to buy it - if it's the best guitar you have played, you're lucky and you should buy it!

The only time I have purchased a guitar I hadn't played was a bespoke guitar by Bill Chapin - and he knew what I wanted exactly and provided it.

Best, Pete.

11. guitarhurricane

guitarhurricane Member

There is just something about les pauls. I grew up lusting over them. Then when I got out playing all the time moved more toward strats because the versatility. I still like my strats, but here lately I will pick up is a les paul. Go figure, 17 years of playing and I have come full circle on guitar lust.

12. Chukster

Chukster Member

Lestercollector: We stumbled on the same "solution", so to speak - Japanese Les Pauls are, for the most part, outstanding instruments at a fraction of the cost of a Gibson, even if you need to add shipping costs from Japan. I have an Edwards LP90, an early 90's Greco sunburst, an Epiphone Japan, and justp picked up an Epi Elitist LP Standard, faded Cherryburst. I also have one Gibson - an LP Standard Limited Edition from GC that has a particularly great playable neck.

These days, though, when I leave for a gig, I take 2 of the Japanese LPs with me and don't look back. the most expensive one cost me $650, and I am always amazed at the quality and attention to detail.

13. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

I too don't like Gibson's business practices BUT we need to look
    to the box store retailers that have driven the "policy".
    If it weren't for their greed and wanting to own and not share
    the market, the Gibson issue wouldn't exist. I blame them more
    than I blame Gibson.
    We better look farther down the road. Other Guitar & Equipment
    manufacturers are in their sights too I'm sure.
    I won't support the box stores and never will and as long as others do
    they'll keep gaining market share and get stronger.

14. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

The old Love/Hate thing with Gibson. It will likely last longer than the universe. I wonder what the guys who actually build these instruments down in Nashville think. And I mean the the people who moved down there from Kalamazoo that are still alive and well.

Like Lestercollector said, does it have to have the Gibson Name on it. Greco, Tokai, Edwards, Burny, all make quality products. You can always get a Japanese GT and put a set of Gibson '57 pups in.

15. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

A great Strat,,,then you won`t need the other two. Remember the Strat was the new improved Fender back then. Can you remember when Fender only made a Strat, and a Tele, and a PBass, and a Jazz??

CT.

16. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I'll tell ya why.

I think we guitar players are drawn to Les Paul electric guitars because they are great works of art. Musical instruments must obey the laws of fractal geometry that govern string or air vibrations - so they automatically embody the Golden Ratio and mirror the the meta structure of nature. Thus, the form and design embodies what we instinctively think of as beauty. And they resonate!

The Lester design is a great - and I mean Great with a capital "G" - example of aesthetic design. It's peers are Classical Greek vases, Noguchi furniture, Raymond Loewy's vista-liner bus, and the Bauhaus appliances. These objects represent the merging of design and utility, form and function, into a seamless perfection. It looks good, and it plays wonderfully.

James Joyce said that proper art created "aesthetic arrest" in the viewer, and I think this why we are almost involuntarily drawn to gaze upon Lesters, Strats, and other archetypal and balanced designs. Not that lust, envy, or hungry ghosts don't play into Lester appreciation - but I think one of the big reasions they are popular and loved has to do with artistic design.

And that reminds me, it's time for me to SHOW OFF MY NEW LES PAUL SUPREME AGAIN!

[​IMG]

17. aroman

aroman Member

I have not found a Les Paul that sounds or plays better than my PRS Mccarty. However I am aflicted with incurable LP GAS. I look at the LP pics Post and drool !!!. :horse

18. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

I`ll take a good Tokai over any Paul any day!!

CT.

19. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I've had probably about a dozen LP's pass through my hands over the last 30 years and have only hung on to one.

Every time I'm traveling for work and I end up with a free night near a GC, I go in and plunk on a few and rarely find one that I bond with.

But everytime I see a picture or an ad in the Emporium, I get all fired up and the GAS pressure rises.

I'll buy Big Doug's theory. There's just something about the design that makes me want to grab one and start playing, even though I, too, have found other instruments that really do meet my needs better.

As a matter of fact, I'm gonna go drag the one I still have out and make a racket.

20. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I used to own 4 Strats and 1 tele............now its the other way around. My Favorite tele has a Tummy cut though.............:rolleyes: