Les Trem for my SG: opinions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by voided3, Apr 22, 2008.

1. voided3

voided3 Member

Hey guys, I have a late 90's Gibson SG Special and I am debating getting some kind of vibrato for it: either a Bigsby B5, a long plate Gibson Vibrola, or the Les Trem. I'm leaning towards the latter since it doesn't necessitate drilling and I was curious if any of you have experience with any of these on an SG. Thanks!

(one of these) http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges...remolos/Les_Trem_Stop-Tailpiece_Tremolos.html

2. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Looks somewhat similar to the Bowen Handle vibrato I have on my SG Standard. Also a drop-in replacement.

http://www.freedomguitar.com/products_bowen_handle.php?UID=2008042301112224.192.185.56

I have Graphtech saddles to go with it and it stays in tune OK. I don't find it to go out of tune after bending notes at the frets during solos, but since I don't play oblique bends, I can't say whether it sends the unbent notes flat or not.

It works well for slow Bigsby type shimmer and you can also do fast Ritchie Blackmore type quivers with it, but you're not going to get super deep detuning like revving-motorbike or divebomber effects.

3. Alvis

Alvis Member

It's an OK "on the fence " unit for when you're not quite sure.Yep,it almost does a Bigsby
    I've heard the Stetsbar is really good ,but it's a little more expensive and IMO an ugly piece of hardware
    I have a Les Trem and Maestros in a plastic bag ,but I have the Bigsbys on my guitars ........
    For my money ,the Bigsby is a perfect ,positive machine

4. modulusrules

modulusrules Member

Stetsbar Trem. They cost more but are worth it. They stay in tue amazingly well and feels more like a floyd rose than a bigsby. Check them out.

[​IMG]

5. 6789

6789 Member

I tried one on my SG and it seemed to work fine. It felt more like a bigsby - smaller surf guitar bends - NOT divebomb metal bends.

I took it off because I have an ABR Tune-o-matic bridge with the skinny Posts that screw right into the wood. When I would bend on the trem, The bridge would slightly move the posts back and forth and I was worried that I'd eventually wiggle them loose and make the hole loose. Maybe It would have been o.k.. I don't know. I liked the Les trem except for that one issue.
    [​IMG]

The nashville style bridge has a bigger post that screws into a metal holder part that is placed in the wood. maybe that would be more secure so the bridge doesn't move.
    [​IMG]

I bet some people would argue that it's best if the bridge does move because if the bridge was solid and did not move, then the string would have to rub back and forth over the bridge and that might affect tuning stability????

Maybe some kind of roller bridge might be a good solution to use with the les trem.
    [​IMG]

6. voided3

voided3 Member

Yeah, if I do decide to get one i'll definitely get a roller bridge.

7. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Graphtechs are working for me. I have the Schaller roller-saddle bridge on a different guitar that has a Palm Pedal, and that goes back in tune, so the roller saddles also work to prevent snagging. Either is effective, take your pick

8. DavidE

DavidE Member