Leslie 825 Solid State?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Cuthbert, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

Does anyone know if this is a bad sounding Leslie? Looking to get a nice sound. Obviously you lose the natural overdrive of the older tube model.

2. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

3. anibas

anibas Member

They sound fine for a single rotor model,and stay fairly clean at moderate to loud volumes.The ones I've seen have had a 12"EV speaker,and use the 9 pin cable rather than the 6 pin variety that the tube models worked with.Leslie offered a "Combo Preamp II" for use with guitar,and the Trek II preamps work with the 9 pin cabs too.If you can,make sure the speaker hasn't been swapped out of it,and it's worth checking the styrofoam rotor out to make sure it isn't falling apart.Good luck with the hunt!

4. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

I got one on Cl about 10years ago 300 cab cable and preamp. Was playing it the other night..it dont come easy, shine on you crazy diamond, do you fell like we do...the sound is so pure next to a stomp box even if it lacks the top roto. I run it with a 50watt Jmp or traynor bass head. Using a tube amp really opens up the sound, with the built in SS amp seems to get too many resonant peaks. So ran speaker wire from the speaker to aon the out sides and disconnect the internal amp. mine hasthe 12 EV. It's big and had to lash it in my trunk, about an inch too big to fit in the back seat, keep that in mind.