Leslie effects: Analogman Chorus vs. Arion SCH-1

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PSaulino, Jun 29, 2008.

1. PSaulino

PSaulino Silver Supporting Member

Ok... which produces a more convincing leslie effect in mono? In stereo? Anyone compare?

Thanks..
    Paul

2. benabloom

benabloom Member

Well neither produces a sound true to a real leslie, however after owning both, I chose the Clone Chorus as it sounded more musical and lush. I use it to cop leslie-like tones . I find that paired with a phaser and or a tremolo you can get some awesome tones that put you in that leslie state of being.

-B

3. erksin

erksin Member

I don't know which AM chorus it was that I A/B'd my SCH-1 to, but both the owner of the AM and I agreed that SCH-1 sounded more convincing than the AM. The SCH-1 has a little bit of 'chug' to the warble that the AM doesn't.

There's a Greg V clip floating around here somewhere that accurately captures the Arion 'Leslie' sound (he's using an SCH-Z in the clip, but they're basically identical).

4. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i'm going to be cool enough to post clips in a couple of weeks. . .

. . . then i'll play you the dd20 set to my favorite leslie sound. knocked all choruses off my board. i only used them for that sound. . . . .

in stereo. . .

5. PSaulino

Thanks for the replies - looking for more opinions on this.
    Paul

6. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

no stereo option but the swirl of the dr. scientist cosmichorus is beautiful imo

7. tmuka

tmuka Member

i'm looking forward to the clips orogeny!

8. PSaulino

Is this what you are referring to? Hmmm....
    http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/bossDD20/bossDD20_review1.html

"Modulate is much like Pan except a sine wave modulates the delayed signal's left/right destination. It is much like a stereo tremolo/autopan/chorus effect, depending on how its parameters are set. The rate of crossfade can be set from 0 (about one crossfade per 1500ms) to 100 (about one crossfade per 50ms). The depth of cross fade (how hard to the left and right the signal is panned) can also be set from 0 (no panning) to 100 (maximum panning). As the rate and depth are increased beyond 30, a pitch shift becomes more apparent, generating a chorus-like effect. Curiously, Modulate affects a mono input but not a stereo input! Further, the effect is not a mono effect panned to left and right but a stereo effect applied to a mono signal. Staccato sounds played over time will appear as somewhat unpredictable random points in the stereo spectrum, while longer sounds will each have their own "swirl" depending on where in the wave the sound was played."

9. Metalhead Mike

Metalhead Mike Member

Can you share your settings in the meantime?