Leslie emulator pedals: Let's hear clips

Calebz

I've seen 10001 threads on TGP about rotary/leslie sim pedals and which one is the best, or how a chorus or vibe can be made to emulate certain aspects of a leslie.

Like with most of the in-depth gear discussion I see here - there's nothing but words. Words are great. I make my living with words.

This is music. Show me your uses for leslie pedals. rotary sims. Swirlies that make your heart go pitter patter.

Classic rock. New Wave. EDM. I don't care. I just want to see/hear some of the incredibly talented people here show us the different ways they hear this glorious effect in use.

This post is devoid of my usual snark. There are some exceptional people here. I really am interested in how y'all use this one effect (except for that one dude that called me out for using "y'all" recently. That guy can go **** himself).

EDIT: Seriously - don't worry about audio quality - this is not a TGP cork sniffer thread. Not here to judge your recording or playing skills. I am genuinely curious about how people use this thing.

Last edited:

Calebz

This could be a pedal. A really big pedal, but it would still fit on one of the bigger boards and have room left over for a half dozen overdrives.
Could be fun to build a cab for it and take it out to gigs.

Without the cab, it would look too much like a spinning Turkish toilet on a stick. Cool, bit not quite the visual I usually go for.

Could be fun to build a cab for it and take it out to gigs.

Without the cab, it would look too much like a spinning Turkish toilet on a stick. Cool, bit not quite the visual I usually go for.
It would definitely need a cab. Not just for aesthetics but for safety as well. There is a big, square, sharp edged piece of steel counter-weighting that Turkish toilet. At creates so much wind at high speed it could double as a fan.

TheSpricket

I recently discovered this band The Analogues on YouTube. They're Dutch and they do very very detailed live presentations of Beatles albums. They have a few things up but you can watch them do all of The White Album and Sgt Peppers all live.

The lead guitarist who does all of the George lead stuff does a really amazing job and completely nails those tones and overall vibes of those George parts. He's using a variety of drive pedals and a Strymon Mobius for all the modulation. It was pretty spot on.

When I think about using a Leslie sound I always think of the Beatles. That's one of the only "effects" you hear them use because that's basically all they had, along with the manual flanging (a term perhaps invented by Lennon).

I just use a CE2w for all the swirl.

Calebz

:nono

no stereo, no good!

:BluesBros
It has stereo out. Missed opportunity. I'll do better next time. :D

EDIT: You gave me an idea. Stereo out to my fake Marshall on one side and fake orange on the other.

Give me a couple days. I'll see what else this thing can do and post something

This thing will get used mostly for stuff played in drop C. Slowish. Heavy-ish. I know I'm not in the majority here.

And it's nice to hear about your favorite underground band that does...stuff.

I'm really curious what y'all TGPers actually do with them. They're cool. They're versatile.

Let's hear some of the thousands of dollars of cool Leslie pedals floating around TGP

Last edited:

Calebz

Really? None of you guys have ever just grabbed your favorite leslie-o-matic and just riffed around?

TGP is a strange place.

Calebz

:nono

no stereo, no good!

:BluesBros
Damn you. I took some tracks to my co-producer last night. One of the songs has a single octafuzzlie track buried in the background.

3 seconds into the song, he solo'd it out, looked at me and basically said 'no stereo. No good'.

Crap. Screwing up and missing something obvious is part of life. Doing it twice and being called out by two separate people is downright embarrassing :D

My apologies as I misunderstood the concept of the OP's post. He wanted leslie simulation in the context of a song not a demo. With that in mind, below is how I use leslie simulation in a song.
My apologies again to the OP since this is not exactly what he is after, as I am using a mechanical leslie simulator, and not an electronic pedal. Skip ahead to 5:30 to get the full effect of leslie and guitar.
Maybe if you guys see me making a fool of myself you will be more comfortable posting your own stuff and the OP will get what he is after.

Junta

Damn you. I took some tracks to my co-producer last night. One of the songs has a single octafuzzlie track buried in the background.

3 seconds into the song, he solo'd it out, looked at me and basically said 'no stereo. No good'.

Crap. Screwing up and missing something obvious is part of life. Doing it twice and being called out by two separate people is downright embarrassing :D
Well, you are taking it well I would say! :D

OK, here is the thing, I may be only an advanced beginner, but i know my tone, and my stereo and w/d/w routing btter than most professionals. Here is my w/d/w set up today:

and here is my stereo set up diagram from two years ago, before I went w/d/w. The difference today is the 'dry' amp i the middle (the Carr - and I replaced the mini jube with the EVH). I should really update this diagram. Will do, I promise, for stereo and w/d/w lovers!

So, wanting to integrate a leslie simulator to my current Strymon Volante and EQD Pyramid super powerful stereo imaging shenanigans, i tried everything. Strymon, Lex, The Fender Pin wheel, etc. The Lex did the most accurate 3 dimensional imaging, but sounded like crap with high gain... Remember, with my right and left cabs placed in a triangle set up from where I am playing, my stereo image monitoring is as good as it gets. Anything better, you are talking high end home hi-fi...

And to record this stuff, I would recommend identical near mic placement PLUS room micing.

So yeah, Lelie's are mono in real life, but for close to authentic as possible imaging, you need stereo!

Good luck - fantastic playing by the way!

Well, you are taking it well I would say! :D

OK, here is the thing, I may be only an advanced beginner, but i know my tone, and my stereo and w/d/w routing btter than most professionals. Here is my w/d/w set up today:

and here is my stereo set up diagram from two years ago, before I went w/d/w. The difference today is the 'dry' amp i the middle (the Carr - and I replaced the mini jube with the EVH). I should really update this diagram. Will do, I promise, for stereo and w/d/w lovers!

So, wanting to integrate a leslie simulator to my current Strymon Volante and EQD Pyramid super powerful stereo imaging shenanigans, i tried everything. Strymon, Lex, The Fender Pin wheel, etc. The Lex did the most accurate 3 dimensional imaging, but sounded like crap with high gain... Remember, with my right and left cabs placed in a triangle set up from where I am playing, my stereo image monitoring is as good as it gets. Anything better, you are talking high end home hi-fi...

And to record this stuff, I would recommend identical near mic placement PLUS room micing.

So yeah, Lelie's are mono in real life, but for close to authentic as possible imaging, you need stereo!

Good luck - fantastic playing by the way!
This is just me, but I would substitute a Leslie for one of the three amps in your rig. Then you could have wet/dry/swirl.

Trending Topics