Leslie like pedal in small pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Webfoot, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Something like the ventilator but in a small boss pedal size and only a single switch (don't know that speed up/down thing).

Anything remotely exist?

2. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

line 6 roto machine. tech 21 rotochoir also isnt that big though.

3. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

The Strymon Lex is pretty small, and regarded as one of the top 3 leslie in abox units around here.

4. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

and of course theres always the behringer......

5. binge

binge Member

Vertex Effects "Landau Mod" Arion Chorus.

6. BoiceBox

BoiceBox Member

Keep in mind that an MXR sized pedal with jacks on the side takes up a lot of real estate. A larger box with top jacks can actually be more space efficient depending on the layout of your pedal board.

7. schultzvil

schultzvil In the Clean Channel Silver Supporting Member

BOSS VB 2-
    long discontinued, but you can find 'em...

8. MRCHILL4

MRCHILL4 Member

i am diggin my AM bichorus for this application.

9. davidl13

davidl13 Supporting Member

you can buy my lex if you want it...just cant fit it on my board

10. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

AM Bichorus for me, although I don´t think it sounds at all like a genuine Leslie (as if I would know what that sounds like!). But for a few slots in the set where it helps my parts jump out in the mix with that fabulous wobble, it works extremely well for me.

11. edgie

edgie Member

I'm waiting for this.:bounce

12. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I hate the sound of a chorus pedal run "like a leslie"...it never sounds right to me .

If you want roto sounds and space is a big deal the Line 6 Roto Machine is gonna be hard to beat...I'[m no line 6 fan but hey...it's gotta be better than a chorus pedal with the speed jacked up!

13. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Gold Supporting Member

I've got a real leslie and a rotomachine and the rotomachine is pretty close. Line6 got the EQ right on theirs. The fast speed is not quite the same but I haven't heard any leslie emulator that got the fast speed down really well. Ironically enough, the arion chorus (which I also have) does a reasonable facsimile of a leslie on fast speed.

14. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

I have an arion chorus mod, but my new line 6 M5 has the best leslie I have used. I also have the expression pedal so I can ride it pretty nicely....

15. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Gold Supporting Member

I suspect the M5 is the same circuit/software as the rotomachine.

16. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

Rotomachine is great. I wasnt a huge fan of the lex. Overpriced and over hyped, but it sure is pretty.

Rotomachine sounds much better imho.

17. torgeot

torgeot Member

Danelectro Rocky Road is very small, cheap and does a nice job.

18. g-nem

g-nem Member

Yeah but you gotta figure in the size of the bypass loop box. But it does sound alright!

19. HayekFan

HayekFan Member

I've got the Rotomachine. I sounds like a mic'd Leslie. I can't imagine any pedal being much better. At best it would be a small incremental improvement. The Rotomachine is nice because it's fairly small on a pedal board. It is however built like a tank. By far the heaviest pedal on my board. There's about a Honda Civic's worth of metal in it.

20. sladest

sladest Supporting Member

everybody's of course got their own opinions on this subject, however i had the same question about 2 years ago, and since then, just about every "leslie" box on the market has sat on my board for various amounts of time. i've ranked them and heres my opinions on each...

1. Korg G4 - the best of the bunch. however, we all know pedal board real estate is at a premuim and this guy take up a lot. i keep mine around to record with. also, i don't believe they make it anymore so...it cost me...

2. Hughes and Kettner Rotosphere - also very very authentic. but again, huge pedal and i bought it just after i got my g4 and it lost the shootout....so off to the buy and sell forum it went....

3. Strymon Lex - this sits on my board currently. very rich and thick sounding.. smaller and less expensive as the top two.

4. DLS Rotism - this guys cool, because of the multiple trim pots on the inside. also by far has the most dials and variance out of all the leslie pedals i've tried. also takes the most time to monkey with to find "your" sound.

5. Boss RT-20 Rotary - this one sounded a bit too fake for me (like chorus trying to do a leslie). it also didn't get along with the rest of my fuzz chain. but by itself plugged into my Dr. Z it sounded ok.

6. Fulltone Deja-Vibe - this has been on my board for awhile and i've noticed a can get a decent "fast" rotary sound out of it if i set it on vibrato and turn the speed all the way up......just sayin....

7. Mojo Hand Gyro - this pedal i thought at first sounded terrific. it's downfall was going to see gov't mule a couple days after i got it. after hearing warren's leslie tone it got the boot....and i went back to my g4....lol

8. Option 5 destination rotation single - i bought this pedal because of it's smaller size. but the tone i got was terrible. it squashed my signal, and sounded like a leslie recorded in a garbage can....

again....all my opinion. just figured i'd share since i've been on this same leslie trip forever. if you have the board room and the cash (short of buying an actual leslie) get a korg g4 or a hughes and kettner. if your short on space get a strymon.... hope this helps.