Leslie Pedal... Destination Rotation Single

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GTRJohnny, Feb 3, 2008.

1. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I've been looking to get the sound of an old Fender rotating speaker cabinet in a pedal. I remember the Stevie-like tone it did, with the magic swirling harmonics. I also remember the weight and squeak of the belts and styrofoam disc thing inside. So, I know I don't want to lug and care for the real thing.

When I saw the DR SIngle pedal, I thought it might be the thing. I have tried all the vibes, phasors, and modulations pedals I could get my hands on and none of them sounded like a leslie to me. The Nebula was close and cool, as were several of the vibes, but nothing nailed it.

I need something really small, with "that sound". Is the DR-S the best one out there? Any comments welcome... :cool:

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

ill say this:

i was in the same boat as yourself....and i got a DRS and it kills. i love it, and most of the guys on here that have one will say the same thing. a very nice appoximation.

i think you'd dig it.

3. burner

burner Member

So far the Destination Rotation is the closest thing I've heard.
    If I had the $300 to blow, I'd jump all over one.

4. gen-x

gen-x Member

I've got the original one and it is great. The best Leslie simulator that I've heard. I have not heard the newer single though.

5. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

I wasn't fond of the single. The slow speed was way too slow, IMHO, and was barely adjustable.

6. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Have you looked into the Boss RT20? I'm very pleased with the fooling around I've done on mine, Leslie-wise.

7. mr.blacksummer

mr.blacksummer Member

the pedal is just fantastic, that is really what I think...
    oh by the way, which ones pink?

the DRS kicks buns...and the adjustability and selectable drive is tops.

it's a winner, for sure.

8. bilbal

bilbal Member

I owned a single for about 2 months and it was great except for the fact that I wanted the ability to ramp the speeds up and down. I sold the single and just went without for some time. One day I was reading a thread that our own Lucidology (Joe) posted. In that thread he raved about the new Tonelab LE. Taking his suggestion and his feedback, I went out and bought a Tonelab. Not until I started fooling around and tweaking things, did I discover the rotary effect it had on board. This effect is THE BEST Leslie simulator ever!!!! By assigning the expression pedal to it, you can ramp the speed from slow to fast and EVERYTHING in between. Like I said, it is the best Leslie sim short of the real thing. If you have 300 dollars to spend on one pedal, you owe IT to yourself to wait and throw in the extra 100 dollars and buy the Tonelab LE. This way you get the best Leslie sim and hundreds or more options withd the most versatile multi-effects processor/modeler available IMO!!!!

check it out,
    b

9. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Love the DR single. Does a great job.

10. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

There's also a Vibra-Tone pedal project that sounds pretty good. It almost has a kind of tremolo sound which adds to the doppler effect. A friend of mine built one and I just ordered an etched board from John Lyons. $15 for the board, probably about another $40 or so for parts (enclosure, pots, switches, resistors, caps, etc.) and a few hours with the solder iron.

11. lakesider

lakesider Member

Wish you could use this pedal w a 9volt battery.
    my light/fly/travel board is batteries only.

12. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

Hughes & Kettner Tube Rotosphere...AWESOME!!!

13. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

I would love to hear some sound clips from fellow members of the Destination Single. I have listened or watched all of the clips on the web site, but always enjoy hearing from you guys out there.

14. mprvise

mprvise Member

Another +1 - I own three sims and have played through a friend's 120 several times. Of the sims I've owned the DR Single comes closest to what I'm looking for. I also dig the (not currently made) Whirligig (with ramp switch). I didn't bond with the RT20.

15. lakesider

lakesider Member

I liked this thing but it is pretty noisy and takes up a lot of pedalboard real estate.

16. iualum

iualum Member

...yes, the RotoSim IS a great one...

17. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I have been through them all and none sounded as great as the H&K Rotosphere to me. It was huge and didn't have a regular 9v tap, so I tried the DLS Rotosim because it had the right features. I didn't like that pedal at all, though the slow speed was pretty good.

I've had a couple of Whirligigs which sounded really good but they weren't quite there. In its defense, I also noticed that the Whirligig sounded A LOT better live than at home and really filled up the stage. I see the single stompers for cheap around here, so keep an eye out. I think this is the 2nd best one.

I've tried or owned the Boss, Line6 and Damage Control Glass Nexus versions of this effect. All were good, with the GN being the best, though none were in the Rotosphere's league.

So I picked up a Destination Rotation Single from the emporium and it should be here later this week. It is my final stop. If it doesn't work out I'm either getting another Rotosphere or one of the Motion Sound speaker cabs.

18. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Yeah I'm with you. I bought one of the new ones when they first came out and it didn't float my boat at all. It sounded like a sick phaser/tremolo. The H&K Tube Rotosphere does a far better leslie imitation imho.

19. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I think the size limitation thing will win out. Most of the the other sims mentioned are not exactly "pedal-sized"...

20. Dave

Dave Member

I've had the Boss RT-20 for a while and I like it a lot. I recently picked up a DRS and it's not at all what I was expecting. I realize they're not imitating exactly the same thing, but I much prefer the RT-20. The DRS is too "swooshy" for me, it's almost like a Univibe, even with the Mic Placement control all the way down. Also, it doesn't have a brake and the ramp time is not adjustable. I appreciate the fact that the DRS is true bypass, but the RT-20 doesn't seem to suck tone. The overdrive on both pedals is useless to me. I was aware of the DRS's limited features before I bought it, and I could live with that if I liked the way it sounded.

The RT-20 is a cool pedal and shouldn't be overlooked simply because it's a Boss. It sounds great and has all the right features.