Leslie / Rotating Speaker Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ThugLife, Sep 27, 2008.

1. ThugLife

ThugLife Member

Which one you all you's recommend? I've been getting the itch for something cool like this recently. So I says, "why not ask here"?

So . . . . :dunno

2. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Member

Rotosphere looks like a winner, it's on my want list! ;-)
    Rotosim looks good too.

Cheers
    Sean

3. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

There is a huge variety of options, which grows even bigger if you set some chorus pedals on high speed or even some phaser pedals (they give a similar effect). Univibe clones sound close, too, but if you want something tailored specifically for these sounds I have two suggestions: going the mainstream route with the Boss Rotary Ensemble (not my favorite, though) or the more exotic route with the amazing DLS Rotosim, which in my opinion sounds divine and has an army of internal trimpots for tweaking. I remember I was in a store trying it and people were coming to check it out.

You might also want to do an extra search for other options on the forum - I'm sure you will be reading 'till next week... :D

4. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I actually like the rotary simulation on the Dr. Scientist RRR. For more tweakable Leslie-tones, I prefer the Korg G4 (which is a bit harder to come by as they aren't produced anymore).

5. pitner

pitner Member

I have a real leslie and am using the MoJo Vibe for my pedalboard leslie simulator. It does the job and can be controlled with your feet. $269 and a 3 month wait

6. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

Lots of threads on this topic.

What kind of rig are you all playing through? (Stereo or mono)

7. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I ended up with an Option 5 Destination Single which is a Fender Vibratone/single speaker Leslie simulator. It does not have a seperate speaker and horn setup but rather a single speaker design. That is what Clapton and George Harrison used on tunes like "Badge" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and I think it was what SRV used quite a bit on songs like "Cold Shot" and others. I really dig the sound of the Option 5 plus with it running at 9v and having a small footprint, it fits nicely in my overcrowded board. If I had to pick another it would likely be the H & K Rotosphere but I was put off by it's huge size and the need for 12v (I think! Mainly I didn't have enough room on my board for an effect that I use sparingly anyway.

8. edwardz

edwardz Member

I had the H&K Rotosphere, the Option 5 Destination Rotation, and the DLS Rotosim. Now I have the Option 5 Destination Rotation Single for several reasons.
    • small footprint
    • ability to run on 9V or 1 Spot
    • fast and slow speed controls
    The other pedals were all good, but not great when you consider those 3 things. I really like the DR Single and would recommend checking it out.

FWIW.. Vibe pedals, while being a great flavor, aren't the really same animal.

9. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

I know I am in the minority, but I like the BOSS RT-20.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

one caveat,

i had the option 5 for a bit, and it was great, BUT, i run my OD pedals in front of the swirly stuff like the option 5, and found that it sorta kills the overall vibe of the OD. makes everything really small feeling. the option 5 has its own overdrive circuit to mimic that extra gain some lesile get for that bit of grit, and it did bring some life back, but it wasnt quite there for me.

course, running the OD after the option 5 was fine, and especially into my cranked sommatone 40.

just something to keep in mind.

11. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

arion sch-1
    destination rotation
    hughes and kettner rotosphere

12. Seegs

Seegs Member

I would highly recommend the original Destination Rotation over the single...more realistic...woody and organic sounding...od circuit is pretty useless though...

Chow,
    Seegs

13. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

The Arion is great , as is the Rotosphere. Did not care for either option 5 for a number of reasons, also did not like DLS. Dynachord is awesome but a rackunit. I just happen to have one of these little gems which are pretty sweet as well. Getting ready to post in the emporium for cheap.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9166401200945127755

14. wahwah

wahwah Member

I really like my Korg G4. Here's a short demo of it that I recorded direct, with a MP Little Green Wonder providing the drive...

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6437056

Cheers.................................. wahwah

15. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

The Rotosphere is hands down the best in my opinion. But it's also expensive, big and noisey in some rigs.

The Destination Rotation Single I thought was going to be perfect for me, but I really didn't like the drive/gain on it. It didn't produce the grind I was looking for.

I did just get a Digitech EX-7 which has a leslie sim on it. It's better than what I expected. Here's a clip (recorded in mono) of what the leslie on it sounds like: http://tinyurl.com/3uaxeg

16. axemanjoe

axemanjoe Member

I didnt care at all for the BOSS RT20, I went with the DLS Rotosim. Havent tried the Option 5 DR.

17. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Came down to two for me...DLS RotoSim and Option 5 Destination Rotation Single. For me (emphasis on me) the RotoSim was the easy winner. To my ears, the Option 5 was way too phasey and made my sound smaller...like it took everything and compacted it into the mids. The RotoSim, while not perfect, just sounded more real and WAY bigger. At least that's how I hear it.
    Greg

18. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Member

I just got an RT20 - I haven't tried it on guitar yet but it does the job on my Roland keyboard. Really nice Leslie sound!!! Well worth the money!

(I'm using the Boss Expression pedal to control the speed - that helps too...)

19. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Retrosonic chorus' vibrato mode is fantastic for this.

20. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I really like my Mini Deja Vibe for Leslie tones. Just dial the intensity a little back from maximum and throw it in front of a germanium fuzz with the volume knob rolled back on the guitar a little bit so it's not so fuzzy and BAM. I can get almost any Leslie sound I desire from that combo that can be controlled with your foot.