Leslie Sim. Woes

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by killermeteor, Dec 19, 2009.

1. killermeteor

killermeteor Member

I love the sound of a Leslie, but I'm on a tight budget, I drive a small car, and my back ain't what it used to be. I snagged a Line 6 MM4 awhile back and I've been using that for a Leslie, but the volume drop drives me crazy.
    A friend of mine offered me a hundred bucks and a Small Stone for it, so I took the cash and bought a used Boss rt-20 for $98.00. Normally, I steer clear of anything from Boss, but I figured since it was a stand alone effect, it would probably sound better than the MM4's Leslie- and it sounded pretty darn good in the store.
    I got the rt-20 a couple of days ago and since he hasn't picked up the MM4 yet, I've been A/B'n them.
    Other than the maddening volume drop, I think the MM4 actually sounds better. The rt-20's fast setting is pretty good, but the slow setting just kinda sounds like a Phaser to me. The drive, of course, is completely useless.
    I'm starting to think that I screwed up.
    Has any one else compared these two effects? Could anyone offer any good tips/ settings for the Boss?
    Thanks!

2. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

3. Marble

Marble Member

see why you use a real leslie now?

Leslie 120s are cheap and are only about 50 bucks. they look nice and work better than vibrotones.

4. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Leslie 120 for 50 bucks ... ???

5. Dave

Dave Member

Neither is perfect, but I think the RT-20 sounds way more convincing than the MM4 and the RT-20's got a brake. I had my MM4 modded by Keeley and it was an improvement. Not worth $100 IMO.

6. axemanjoe

axemanjoe Member

The Line6 Roto-Machine ain't bad for the money, used ones are always inexpensive. It's small too.

7. killermeteor

killermeteor Member

Do ya know where I could find one of those for 50 bucks?

8. Marble

Marble Member

ebay or craigslist. My drummer found one to match his minty Hammond L-102 which he got for less than $100. (which I swapped out all the ANOS tubes out of!). Its sitting in my basement and we haven't wired it up yet...

The Leslie 120 (I'm pretty sure its the 120 and not a 130), are short wood cabinet Leslies that have a single rotor at the bottom. Guitarists only need 1 rotor. Since Hammonds cover from 36hz to way up high, the dual rotor/horn thing w/ crossover works the best for those. My drummer's was pretty much mint, and had the original 12" Jensen in it. We got it on Ebay and drove 2 hours to get it.

You can spend $50-100 bucks on a nice guitar Leslie, but expect to do a little work to make it guitar friendly. The parts aren't that all expensive, but its not a "right outta the box" type deal. I reccomend having a little tube amp (i'm going to use a Blues Jr) to drive the speaker, becuase these have no amplifiers with them. It is very rewarding sonically, and on stage people won't forget that spinny little contraption!

9. dohootowl

dohootowl Member

I got a HK Rotosphere and I'm selling it. Keeping my RT-20. I don't think I'll ever be completely happy until I get the real thing. The Rotosphere is great, I just couldn't justify the extra cost. So I've got for sale in the forum.