1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Leslie Sims

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by clothwiring, Jun 26, 2006.

1. clothwiring

clothwiring Member

If you had to list your top 5 Leslie sims...what would that list look like? I haven't tried the Boss... Feel free to include any other sims out there, this is a list of only what I've tried.

1. Korg G-4
    2. DLS Effects Rotosim (distant second)
    3. Option 5 Dest. Rotation (great fast, horrible slow, horrible options)

2. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

my guitar teacher has the hughes and kettner. that sounds pretty nice

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

I've had the H&K Rotosphere and the DLS Rotosim. I would rate the DLS high on features, but the H&K higher for sound quality.

4. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

5. drolling

drolling Member

I was spoiled by having access to my brother's rig (keyboard player) and he often loaned me one of his two leslies for recording, so when he left for the coast, I had to come up w/a reasonable facsimile.

I'd been dicking around w/flangers, phasers and chorus units w/uniformly dissappointing results. Some of these FX'll do a passable high-speed imitation - especially if you run 'em in front of a hot amp or OD pedal. But they all fall far short of copping the vibe of the slow speed setting.. for that purpose, I had better results from plain old amp tremolo, altho' a good univibe clone can sorta get it.. but not really.

Grabbed a Korg G-4 when they first came out, and still use it to this day. It's got its own built-in distortion (sounds tubescreamerish, to me) and any generic voume pedal can be used to switch speeds. Sounds best in stereo mode, but lugging two amps around's becoming more & more difficult for me. My biggest complaint w/the G4's the nonadjustable, undefeatable noise gate - it'll sometimes chop the tail off a decaying note in a very unmusical, unnatural sounding way..

Couple years back I stumbled onto a cache of NOS DigiTech RPM-1s that the store was blowing out below cost - wish I coulda bought them all. This puppy's got a THIRD channel for the rotor and a 12AX7A preamp tube for a more authentic sounding drive than the aforementioned Korg unit. It's also rackmount, which could be a deal-breaker for those of us who abandoned those winkin', blinkin' refrigerator sized monstrosities way back in the 80s. And it's noisy as he!! - no built-in gate on this baby.. Thing wheezes, grumbles & grinds so loud you'd swear there was a real motor somewhere in there - but above the rumble... it sounds celestial!

I recently borrowed a buddy's H&K Rotospher Mk II, and was totally knocked out by it! Don't know whether there's a tube inside - but it's got a warm, thick dimensional sound, even in mono operation. Very high noise-floor, tho'. Very. It's almost dead-silent in the effects loop of my pal's Lonestar, but just unbearable going straight in to any of my single channel non-master amps. If I ever step up to a fancy amp built after 1965, the Hughes & Kettner's going to be the 1st pedal on my list...

But to get back OT - haven't had a chance to try the RT-20 yet, but I've got to admit I've not been bowled over by the online demos I've heard - ESPECIALLY the one where he very sneakily turns on his guitar synthesizer - now that's just plain cheatin':MMM

6. tWreCK

tWreCK Member

What about the VOCE Spin II? Heard great things about it............

7. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

I have heard that the Dynacord CLS-222 is the best and is more realistic sounding than the H&K Rotosphere.

In fact, someone I talked to has both and only uses the H&K for a backup...

8. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

BTW-I don't know if the Dynacord is still in production, it might have to be purchased used.

9. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

Interesting to see all these opinions... Some I agree with, others not so much...

My "sim" isn't a sim - it's a Leslie 147 with a combo preamp. I either run the guitar directly into the preamp, or run a DI off my guitar amp (with or without a Hot Plate, depending upon how much clean tone I want to hear) and send its output to the Leslie preamp.

That said, I *really* like the Leslie effect and I've been searching for the past six years to find a pedal that gets "close enough". My favorites, in order of preference, are:

1) The Leslie mode of the Digitech EX-7.
    2) DLS RotoSIM
    3) Voce Spin II

... and the list pretty much ends there.

The Boss RT-20 is a strange beast. I wanted to like it (despite the spinning lights), but there's such a narrow range of settings that sounds OK to me. Stray from those and it ends up sounding like a weird mutation kind-of based upon a Leslie sound...

I've tried lots of others and none of them really convinced me that I was listening to a Leslie. Maybe a so-so recording of a Leslie, but not a Leslie. Of course, we all hear things differently. But I grew up around Leslies and have a visceral reaction to that sound. Recordings just don't do it for me...