Leslie Sims

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by clothwiring, Jun 26, 2006.

1. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

If you had to list your top 5 Leslie sims...what would that list look like? I haven't tried the Boss... Feel free to include any other sims out there, this is a list of only what I've tried.

1. Korg G-4
    2. DLS Effects Rotosim (distant second)
    3. Option 5 Dest. Rotation (great fast, horrible slow, horrible options)

2. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

my guitar teacher has the hughes and kettner. that sounds pretty nice

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

I've had the H&K Rotosphere and the DLS Rotosim. I would rate the DLS high on features, but the H&K higher for sound quality.

4. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

5. drolling

drolling Member

I was spoiled by having access to my brother's rig (keyboard player) and he often loaned me one of his two leslies for recording, so when he left for the coast, I had to come up w/a reasonable facsimile.

I'd been dicking around w/flangers, phasers and chorus units w/uniformly dissappointing results. Some of these FX'll do a passable high-speed imitation - especially if you run 'em in front of a hot amp or OD pedal. But they all fall far short of copping the vibe of the slow speed setting.. for that purpose, I had better results from plain old amp tremolo, altho' a good univibe clone can sorta get it.. but not really.

Grabbed a Korg G-4 when they first came out, and still use it to this day. It's got its own built-in distortion (sounds tubescreamerish, to me) and any generic voume pedal can be used to switch speeds. Sounds best in stereo mode, but lugging two amps around's becoming more & more difficult for me. My biggest complaint w/the G4's the nonadjustable, undefeatable noise gate - it'll sometimes chop the tail off a decaying note in a very unmusical, unnatural sounding way..

Couple years back I stumbled onto a cache of NOS DigiTech RPM-1s that the store was blowing out below cost - wish I coulda bought them all. This puppy's got a THIRD channel for the rotor and a 12AX7A preamp tube for a more authentic sounding drive than the aforementioned Korg unit. It's also rackmount, which could be a deal-breaker for those of us who abandoned those winkin', blinkin' refrigerator sized monstrosities way back in the 80s. And it's noisy as he!! - no built-in gate on this baby.. Thing wheezes, grumbles & grinds so loud you'd swear there was a real motor somewhere in there - but above the rumble... it sounds celestial!

I recently borrowed a buddy's H&K Rotospher Mk II, and was totally knocked out by it! Don't know whether there's a tube inside - but it's got a warm, thick dimensional sound, even in mono operation. Very high noise-floor, tho'. Very. It's almost dead-silent in the effects loop of my pal's Lonestar, but just unbearable going straight in to any of my single channel non-master amps. If I ever step up to a fancy amp built after 1965, the Hughes & Kettner's going to be the 1st pedal on my list...

But to get back OT - haven't had a chance to try the RT-20 yet, but I've got to admit I've not been bowled over by the online demos I've heard - ESPECIALLY the one where he very sneakily turns on his guitar synthesizer - now that's just plain cheatin':MMM

6. tWreCK

tWreCK Member

What about the VOCE Spin II? Heard great things about it............

7. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

I have heard that the Dynacord CLS-222 is the best and is more realistic sounding than the H&K Rotosphere.

In fact, someone I talked to has both and only uses the H&K for a backup...

8. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

BTW-I don't know if the Dynacord is still in production, it might have to be purchased used.

9. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

Interesting to see all these opinions... Some I agree with, others not so much...

My "sim" isn't a sim - it's a Leslie 147 with a combo preamp. I either run the guitar directly into the preamp, or run a DI off my guitar amp (with or without a Hot Plate, depending upon how much clean tone I want to hear) and send its output to the Leslie preamp.

That said, I *really* like the Leslie effect and I've been searching for the past six years to find a pedal that gets "close enough". My favorites, in order of preference, are:

1) The Leslie mode of the Digitech EX-7.
    2) DLS RotoSIM
    3) Voce Spin II

... and the list pretty much ends there.

The Boss RT-20 is a strange beast. I wanted to like it (despite the spinning lights), but there's such a narrow range of settings that sounds OK to me. Stray from those and it ends up sounding like a weird mutation kind-of based upon a Leslie sound...

I've tried lots of others and none of them really convinced me that I was listening to a Leslie. Maybe a so-so recording of a Leslie, but not a Leslie. Of course, we all hear things differently. But I grew up around Leslies and have a visceral reaction to that sound. Recordings just don't do it for me...