• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Leslie type audio crossover

HawkeyeKane

I've got the hinkering to try and put together a very simple passive rotary speaker cab. Just something that can take the speaker load from an amp and run it through. I've got a lot of ideas I'm still mulling over, but the one thing that kind of eludes me is the crossover. Does anyone know if someone sells a simple one that splits the low and high from a speaker load of say 5 to 20 watts? Or does anyone know how to construct one perhaps?

I may not even do the split, I haven't decided yet. May just do the driver & drum and leave the tweeter horns out.

HawkeyeKane

LOL...yeah. I stumbled on that one not long ago. PE Tech said it should work fine, and be able to handle a variety of output powers.

HawkeyeKane

As for the low and mid inputs...I'm not planning to use it with a Hammond or anything. More as an effects unit for harp amps. You really think I should leave the low input out?

dtube

Silver Supporting Member
You're actually referring to the outputs as the input is coming from the amp mono. Just use the low and mid outputs on that crossover. The mid output doesn't have a low-pass on it. Besides, 5k is well above anything coming from a harp.

HawkeyeKane

Hit a problem last night. The speakers I planned to use for this thing are the woofer and tweeter out of a busted JBL EON 515XT powered PA speaker. The speakers are fine, it's just the amp is crap. I checked impedance on them last night with my multimeter. The woofer read at 2 ohm and the tweeter at 4 ohms. The crossover is only meant to handle 8 ohm drivers. PE told me they don't carry any crossovers premade in stock to handle something like that, but one could be built custom by either a manufacturer or myself.

Here's a thought I had...

Get the 100W 8 ohm crossover. Then get a series of wirewound resistors to amount 100W at 6 and 4 ohms respectively, and wire them in series with the speakers to make each load 8 ohms. Meh?

TimmyP

Just run the woofer full range and forget the tweeter - should be fine for a harp. (I used to work with a guy who ran a Twin into an ampless 145/422 - I never needed to put a mic on the horn even with the crossover rolling the top off of the woofer.)

HawkeyeKane

Yeah....I'm starting to lean that way. Still have a number of design ideas to thrash out as well. Just have to see what I can come up with.

Top Bottom