Leslie West using Budda's now...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Andre357, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Interesting just found these on you tube.....Leslie looks great ( better than ever ! ). And sounds very cool in the interviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvjfinEk7gY

Saw leslie years ago in a small club in the Boston Area ( some tour in the eighties or early 90's ) and he was Kick Ass....

2. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

Wonder if his main sound will remain a Zoom straight to the FOH. Saw him a couple years ago and that was it. Amps were for stage volume only, no mics. Zoom 9000-something straight to the board (with octave below effect on the whole time) coming thru the PA. For a guy who was an absolute tone pioneer it was one of the worst live sounds I've ever heard.

3. soldano16

soldano16 Member

What a torchbearer for the spirit of 60's rock. That was so cool.

He's got soul.

4. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Yeah, I was just talking to Jeff Bober about this. He just got back from a photo shoot with Leslie in NY. Apparently Leslie talked to Jeff at NAMM and liked what he saw and heard.

I'd say it is probably a very big step in the right direction based on the last time I heard LW.

5. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Cool. Thanks for posting. LW is playing the SD30 in the vid, correct?

6. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Interesting that he is endorsing a boutique company........he has sworn by the marshals and actually was thinking about buying Krank amps for a while. I see him all the time at a coffee bar his brother owns in Ft Lee....... that actually looks like the John Harms theatre in Englewood NJ where they filmed this.....

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  7. pear gage

pear gage Member

budda is no longer a boutique company since it is owned by peavey

8. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Are those SD 30's?

9. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

That's great for Jeff and co. I just hope they are careful. I used to know Leslie back in the day when I worked up in NY. We loaned him a mint Marshall to use because he liked it so much and when it came back a few months later it looked like it had been dragged behind a truck for about 10 miles. No kidding, and he was like..."no biggie". He was definitely a piece of work. ;)

10. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

I saw Mountain at a small 300 seat theater about 1 1/2 years ago. I remember that annoying octave (low) effect being on all night long as well. I agree, it was an awful live tone. Rewind 20 years when I saw Mountain as opening act for Triumph; his tone absolutely ripped!!

11. angelo

angelo Member

I saw him playing bars in the mid 80's? late 80's?

They were Kitty Hawks and sounded GREAT for him. I went and checked some out because of that, but didn't agree with the feel.

Hopefully, he can still make a living at it ...

12. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

I watched all three vids and liked all his playing but I don't get the "delay on all the time" thing. Oh well, I guess no matter how much I wish for it next year isn't going to magically be 1970. :)

Jim

13. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Wow, those amps sound great! Do all Buddas sound this good? I've never tried one.

14. WILLIEKENDRICK

WILLIEKENDRICK Supporting Member

E Pluribus Budda! Very cool and I think it's a great match up. Thanks for the heads up!

15. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

At least the SDII series they do really sound that good, they have a great pallete of tones and are very responsive to the volume knob and type of attack.

He said that he was using SD30's, like the white color...

16. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

What?????

17. mitch236

mitch236 Member

I haven't seen anything that proves the rumor that Peavey bought Budda. But even if, who cares?

I talked to Jeff at Budda yesterday. He was saying that the company is getting ready to offer a complete custom shop. First will be custom tolex colors, then complete ground up custom amps. Pretty cool.

18. mitch236

mitch236 Member

BTW, check out the 2:00 mark when Leslie starts talking about Joe's tour manager! Is he giving him the salute????

19. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Leslie Weinstein sound has been way off since he and Felix Pappalardi (RIP) parted ways

Piece of work ain't the word

Nantucket Sleighride is a Symphony for Kids

20. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I think they're modded in some way ( it's mentioned on the Budda web page somewhere perhaps ? )....

I wonder if a Leslie West Signature is on the way.....

Also, is it me or does Leslie look/sound like a complete contemporary and modern man ?? Love people that keep up with the times :)....

And is it truth that Peavey owns Budda or just rumor ?? And if true , so what....

I had a classic 30 that ripped for years, was drenched in beer, dropped, sat on you name it and never missed a beat....great working musician man's amp at an affordable price....I put a celestion in it and it sounded better than some of the boutiques....

Plus Budda's been available at music store and Online retailers like MY for a while, I'm not sure if they we're ever a boutique or if they even care about labels like that....