"Less bass" Sunface Mod

Teahead

Member
Messages
1,375
I don't know, but I wish I had known about this mod when I had my Sunface. Excessive bass was precisely why it didn't work for me and I ended up with a Keeley Fuzz Head. Still, I loved the tone of the Sunface and the level of gain it had.
 

blueprint

Member
Messages
665
Teahead said:
... I ended up with a Keeley Fuzz Head...
:jo

:p

Mike suggest to change one cap. Just ask him, he will explain you.
By the way, the ones he is building now have this mod already, Sun Lions as well.
So if you buy one new, you won't have to change anything.
 

Teahead

Member
Messages
1,375
blueprint said:
:Spank

:p

Mike suggest to change one cap. Just ask him, he will explain you.
By the way, the ones he is building now have this mod already, Sun Lions as well.
So if you buy one new, you won't have to change anything.
So, he changed the bass response of the stock sound?

Incidentally, my Fuzz Head is a great match for my Vox, being more of a treble booster with balls than an all out fuzz, it suits the dark Normal Channel very well.
 

blueprint

Member
Messages
665
Teahead said:
So, he changed the bass response of the stock sound?

Incidentally, my Fuzz Head is a great match for my Vox, being more of a treble booster with balls than an all out fuzz, it suits the dark Normal Channel very well.
Yes, now the Sunface has less bass stock.
I bought one of the first Sunlion and didn't got the same fuzz tone at all compared with my old NKT Sunface.
I asked Mike if it was an issue...He answered me he had slightly modded his Sunfaces because a lot of his customers were complaining about the strong bottom end. At the same time, he explained me that only a cap has changed, and therefore it was easy to mod it back to "old" specs. He even gave me the values, but I've lost that email...
Regarding the FuzzHead, it's actually a "dirty treble booster" more than a fuzz, but this pedal has always been terrible with my rig.:confused:

By the way, if it works for you, fine! :AOK
 

Curt

Member
Messages
6,972
Here are the values if anyone with an older Sunface needs the mod.

Per Mike,

There may be a 104 (.1uF) at the bottom of the board,
try a 103 cap (.01 uF) instead.

If you need more, oyu can change
the big cap on top 2.2uF, you can put in the .1uF cap that you pulled
out.
 

cocheese

Supporting Member
Messages
2,550
Thanks for the info Curt. I'm going to try that on mine. I'd love for it to have just slightly less bass on it. GREAT pedal though! My fav fuzz ever.
 

jero

Member
Messages
619
does anybody know from when Analogman started doing this this mod stock on the sunface?
 

eric-d

Member
Messages
3,409
I didn't like the New stock/less bass version, I asked for more bass.... Sounds more like a fuzzface to me.
 
Messages
1,010
cocheese said:
Thanks for the info Curt. I'm going to try that on mine. I'd love for it to have just slightly less bass on it. GREAT pedal though! My fav fuzz ever.
If you only want slightly less bass, try a .047 uF cap rather than a .01.
 

cocheese

Supporting Member
Messages
2,550
Thanks Tom. I haven't done the mod yet, so I'll try the .047 first.

Is the .1uF cap the square red one? Also, where can I find replacement caps in the .047 uF values?

My brother got your book for Christmas and loves it. He has an old Sam Ash Fuzz Boxxx and he was surprised to see the Astrotone fuzz on the cover that looks just like his except it's brown. Good stuff! :)
 

stark

Supporting Member
Messages
3,243
I had my sunface made with .047 in both the input and output positions. This makes it like a germanium version of a TS 808.

Adam Stark
 

Curt

Member
Messages
6,972
cocheese

......."Also, where can I find replacement caps in the .047 uF values"?


Radio Shack (yes, Radio Shack)

.047 mfd Pt No. 222-1068 $1.29
.01 mfd Pt No. 272-1065 $1.29

Cheers.................
 




Top