• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Less efficient Celestion G12H

Grenville

I'm running a Bogner International Series Mojado amp, 15 or 18 watts, and always wrestling with the sweet spot volume-wise. Gigs are fine, but in the rehearsal room, it's either too loud or not enough headroom when I turn it down.

I know the Celestion G12H30 speaker is very efficient, what would be a less-efficient but similar-voiced speaker I could substitute that would allow me to turn the amp up?

modernp

What do you do more gig or rehearse? If its an amp that you use for gigging and you like it why change it get another amp for the rehearsal space.

Grenville

That's not the question. Is there a similar-voiced speaker that's a 3 to 6db quieter?

EDIT: Yes, I have tried various small wattage amps for rehearsing that really haven't cut the mustard. I'm close with my current amp for rehearsing AND gigging, if I could just get the volume down a smidge for rehearsing I can turn the amp up more for gigs. Tried attenuators and that hasn't really worked in this context either.

Last edited:

joruke

Unfortunately, I don't think so. Heavy Magnet speakers are just more efficient/louder. A medium magnet speaker is less efficient/quieter but just won't have the tonal punch and boldness as the heavy magnet.

ianb

Unfortunately, I don't think so. Heavy Magnet speakers are just more efficient/louder. A medium magnet speaker is less efficient/quieter but just won't have the tonal punch and boldness as the heavy magnet.
This is true.

joruke

I forgot to add that you might want to try the Scumback J-Series speakers - might be a bit of a compromise, but it might get you closer to what you are looking for. Jim @ Scumback would be a good resource on your search

Trending Topics