“Lesser known” bands you love that should’ve sold out stadiums.

dohootowl

Silver Supporting Member
I had a friend who worked in Atlantic Records. I went to a party full of record execs. At the height of Kings X popularity, I was told that they would disappear. I thought bands were big because they were popular. Exec said nope. If they decide a band goes away, it goes away.
We should be grateful that the era of the big record label is ending.

dohootowl

Silver Supporting Member
It's a crime that The Tragically Hip never got bigger beyond Canada and a handful of border states..They have a rapid following of die-hards.
I took my then 23 year old niece to an outdoor summer concert, maybe 2 years before he was diagnosed and Gord Downie (RIP) was just "ON" that night with his showmanship. As well, the energy and crowd was fantastic..After the show, my niece, in one of those after concert trances, said to me "I've just been Tragically Hipped." She became a fan afterwards.
Agreed. Saw them once in the mid-90's and they were awesome. Same with Big Wreck. Some initial airplay, then nothing.

handyman11

Gold Supporting Member
+1 on the Good Rats .....was in college on Long Island from 75 to 78 , saw them many times, and they were always great ....still listen to them to this day .....love the Rock songs .....but the ballads they had (Songwriter, Advertisement in the Voice, Birth comes to us all ) would have been huge hits (in my opinion) if sung by a well known singer ....

Five Horizons

Silver Supporting Member
I love me some Pixies, but they’re not underrated. They’re pretty much considered one of the original alternative bands that influenced prominent artists like Nirvana.

To that end, you could argue the Meat Puppets. I saw the band literally several feet away from a small stage two years ago - I’m guessing nobody remembered how great they were.

The last time I saw the Pixies (about a year ago, they were playing a bigger stage and the show was sold out). That’s a small sample size, but could be a rough indication of popularity.

Outlaw

I bought the Hardline CD when it came out. Hot Cherie is a great song!
It’s funny that the only reason Schon joined the band was because he was dating Johnny & Joey Gioeli’s sister Dina whom he later married.

Didn’t hurt having Deen Castronovo beating skins for you either.

Turi

THE GOOD RATS ( in the late '70's, out of Long Island, I think)

We saw them a few times in Rochester in '79 and '80, and they were an incredibly powerful, talented hard rock band.

Amazing singer Peppe ( Pepe?) Marcello on vocals, brother Mickey on guitar and John Gatto on lead.
Never understood how they did not become huge. To me their musical talent was much better than the 'hair bands' or hard rockers that made it big.

I hadn't heard of these guys but checked them out because you said they're from Long Island, love it, as I expected I would.

IDK what it is about that region, but a disproportionate amount of acts I absolutely love hail from the same area.

Bluedano1

I hadn't heard of these guys but checked them out because you said they're from Long Island, love it, as I expected I would.

IDK what it is about that region, but a disproportionate amount of acts I absolutely love hail from the same area.
Now, this could be internet folklore, but maybe true as we are talking about the lowly Good Rats, vs. Van Halen, or GNR ( I'm just referencing huge bands, as example),

BUT I have read ( it would have been online ) that Twisted Sister ( I think they were friends of the Good Rats, or maybe just dug their music) got THEIR BAND NAME, from the lyric, "...twisted sisters..." from the bridge in the Good Rats song:

" Don't Hate the One's That Bring You Rock & Roll"

- now I can vouch for this Good Rats anthem ( you gotta listen!), and for the "twisted sisters" lyric, in the bridge.
You never know??

Trending Topics

Top Bottom