• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Lesson: Solo Guitar Concepts Part 1 - Whole Step Contrary Motion

Double V

Hey Everyone!

Here's a lesson I want to share with you. Using a Whole Step Contrary Motion approach to harmonizing the melody of the A section to "Autumn Leaves".

Stay tuned for part 2 where we'll explore some cool voicing's to use with this approach.

Enjoy!

dingusmingus

Thanks! You were getting some cool sounds. I would be interested a little in the "why" along with the "how." In other words, how did you decide the lower voice would move only in whole steps?

M

Member 995

Pretty cool.

I couldn't help but think that if I were playing bass on a gig where someone called "Autumn Leaves" and I played a whole tone walking part, I'd probably not get called back. :)

dsimon665

Silver Supporting Member
great idea...thanks for the lesson. I like your YouTube channel. I'm into those MG cycles as well. Nice guitars too!

Dajbro

Great way to come up with some different sounds. I've always enjoyed your clips so it's nice to hear about your concepts/thoughts on music making.

Double V

Thanks! You were getting some cool sounds. I would be interested a little in the "why" along with the "how." In other words, how did you decide the lower voice would move only in whole steps?
Hey DM, thanks for watching.
To answer your question... basically I just dig the sound of moving whole steps under the melody. No rhyme or reason to it really, other than having a descending contrary line. Could have easily been half steps in the bass, which would sound pretty cool too!

Pretty cool.

I couldn't help but think that if I were playing bass on a gig where someone called "Autumn Leaves" and I played a whole tone walking part, I'd probably not get called back. :)
Ha! Yep, you can count on that. ;)

Very cool Harvey. It's fun seeing how you think and how you get to your end result.
Thanks so much, Jim!

great idea...thanks for the lesson. I like your YouTube channel. I'm into those MG cycles as well. Nice guitars too!
Cool,thanks for watching. Hope you have some fun trying it out!

Great content and delivery. Thanks.
Thank you!

Great way to come up with some different sounds. I've always enjoyed your clips so it's nice to hear about your concepts/thoughts on music making.
Hey Dajbro! Good to bump into you here. Thanks for watching and for the kind words!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom