lessons help

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by mark23, Feb 15, 2008.

1. mark23

mark23 Member

Ok i just started taking lessons but this is becoming a pain trying to take the unreliable Sacramento transportation system, lost $25 because it was over 30min late today missed my lesson. Ok So i'm thinking of doing it on my own again. Im not to good but i have a abundance of books. The main thing i need to find is how to read through sheet music the rhymic notation, how to read all the start back over again stuff etc any good books for this? Most importantly my timing whats a good way to practice like odd timings like going from a 8th note to a 16th note. I can play 18th notes, quarter notes and whole notes in the same line but add a 8th note with a 16th note im lost. Any help would be great appreciated.

thanks
    mark

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

18ths huh? ;)

Teacher trumps the books by a large degree -- esp. if you're just learning how to read rhythm (ties and rests and all can be pretty daunting). I'd recommend sticking with a good teacher until you really feel comfortable moving out on your own. Books can be very overwhelming, confusing, and overall not that helpful (even with the best books on hand). A (good) teacher helps you focus and helps you prioritize. I think you'll get farther with a teacher, but that's just my experience with trying to be self taught.

Best of luck either way.

Dave

3. mark23

mark23 Member

Thanks for the advice i have 2 lessons left this month i paid for. I don't know if i could get any useful timing issues worked out during those lessons. If i do decided to go the self taught road it would only be for a few months and then i would resume lessons again. I would start up again after i finish taking my stateboards. It just seems like a waste of money right and i was wondering how i could figure some of the above things out on my own. Any suggestions anyone.

4. countandduke

countandduke Member

What exactly do you want to learn? I don't really know anybody that wants to work on their 8th notes and 16th notes, let alone 18th notes. :)

Learn some songs, figure out what makes you happy when you play the guitar and do MORE of that.

Good luck, tell us more.

Do you want to play songs for friends? Get into a band? Read through the Real Book? What are your favorite bands? What song do you REALLY REALLY want to learn on guitar?

Chris

5. mark23

mark23 Member

I guess in the immediate future i want to learn songs, its my long term goal to write songs and have a better understanding of the instrument. Why i want to improve my timing and all the stuff above is because i want to learn to play songs using sheet music and a metronome like in proper time. Favorite bands i'm all across the board in terms of classic rock i like bands like acdc, black sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, Tom Petty and the heartbearkers. Current bands, I like alot of indie rock, bands like the forecast, death cab for cutie, the shins etc. So I guess i want to learn to play the new and the old. A song i would really like to learn to play is little wing, Im far from that goal thou.

6. Kappy

Kappy Member

Great reading book that teaches lots of rhythm and some of the more common time signatures. One of the better guitar reading books out there, IME.

A great, great book for in depth rhythmic reading in 4/4. The next book by the same author for when you graduate from the first one and are ready to do it all in odd times. These two are just rhythm reading, no notes. They were standard text at GIT when I went, and still highly regarded by many great players on this board.

A great set of books bound into one for all kinds of techniques, but also lots and lots of reading in standard notation. I have that one and the binding kinda' sucks. I'd probably buy all 3 volumes individually if I had it to do again.

And get a good metronome.

That's about 3 years worth of work right there for just over $100. (arguably much more time can be spent on the Bellson rhythm books - and the metronome can lead to a lifetime of study). Have fun! ;)

Dave

7. mark23

mark23 Member

thanks for all the help, i think gc has the first book you recommend, I will stop by and pick that up on the way home from work today and get a start on this.