• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Let Us Now Praise Cheap but Excellent Guitars

beanoboy

I prefer the overall feel and quality of my high end guitars. The notes bloom more, I never fret out on a big bend and they play/stay in tune much better. My cheaper guitars, which I bought for variety and vibe, are cool but needed fret work, in most cases new tuners and were subject to dead spots. Both cheap and high end have benefitted from pickup upgrades. Added benefit for cheaper guitars; it's like running with weights, everything feels/sounds better when I go back to the quality guitars.

mikebat

My avatar is a 2013 LPJ in wahed out white. The finish is obviously it's weak spot, as all the 2013 LPJ's and SGJ's were. The back is the most appalling to those who like slick looking guitars, they did not fill in one pore of the mahogany. That said....for the $425 Canadian I paid for it, at Best Buy...it is hard to beat the price.

Thick maple cap, 2 piece mahogany back, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, 490R 498T pickups and 50's profile neck with medium jumbo frets. Great spec

I have played it for a year, on stage and at home and it made me smile with it's thick tone, and easy playing neck. The fingerboard has shrunk a touch, so I am having a luthier file the fret ends, remove the pickup covers, re-wire, and set it up. I am certain it will come back better looking, and even better playing.

I doubt I could have gotten a better spec'd LP type, that plays this well for that money.

I also have a Baja Tele. Super guitar. BIG fat neck. Great value.

Both were presents from Mrs. MikeBat

LionVerse

Anhedonic Misanthrope
Silver Supporting Member
All the newer Epiphone "Pro" model guitars are great guitars for the money. Much better than the previous Epiphones. Love my Epi 1956 Les Paul Pro.
I think they caught on that the VM Squires have been getting such praise (and sales) that they needed to step up to compete with them.

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
I don't own any guitars that are over about $700 new and because I've bought most of them used I payed $500 for most of them. And I've generally been extremely happy because there are many very solid guitars out there that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Peace,

Adagietto

Pending
Silver Supporting Member
I found this for a measly $250 in Sam Ash a few days ago . . .

easyace-albums-bohemian-boho-surf-wax-guitar-picture74314-boho-surf-wax-guitar.jpg
easyace-albums-bohemian-boho-surf-wax-guitar-picture74310-boho-surf-wax-guitar.jpg
easyace-albums-bohemian-boho-surf-wax-guitar-picture74311-boho-surf-wax-guitar.jpg

I admit it: when I saw it, next to two other similar guitars from the same maker, I thought at first a) that it was just a novel way to display parts necks; and, b) realising these were actual guitars, I laughed hysterically for about five minutes. Then I got curious about the P90 model you see here. Plugged into a Fender Deluxe Reverb and gave a try. Sounded so good I bought her. And she turns out to be a perfect guitar for playing slide, too, which I've begun teaching myself to do. (I had to buy the case separately, though, it should be coming in a couple of days . . . )
I like this one!

amstrtatnut

I have an american deluxe strat and it is very nice. My parts caster arguably plays and sounds better.

My Agile AL 2000 and Epi Dot are my main gigging guitars right now.

I also have a Squier cv 50s tele. Awesome guitar!

Ive owned a gibby les paul and a few different american strats.

I think for me what the deal is..is I can set up my guitars the way I want. I can do a fret level thanks to Ron Kirn. And in most cases can and do upgrade pickups if needed.

I just know more now about getting the most out of any guitar.

cardinal

I prefer the overall feel and quality of my high end guitars. The notes bloom more, I never fret out on a big bend and they play/stay in tune much better. My cheaper guitars, which I bought for variety and vibe, are cool but needed fret work, in most cases new tuners and were subject to dead spots. Both cheap and high end have benefitted from pickup upgrades. Added benefit for cheaper guitars; it's like running with weights, everything feels/sounds better when I go back to the quality guitars.

I've had the opposite experience when it comes to dead spots. The "expensive" guitars I have experience with do tend to have more "bloom" and mojo, but they've also been more likely to have a dead spot. But I have reams of cheap guitars, and once you sort the fretwork, they seem much less likely to exhibit a resonance-based dead spot.

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member

I think a lot of it depends on the guitar (on both ends of the spectrum). While I don't own any expensive guitars, they were all pretty carefully selected and they are outstanding instruments. I know I've said this before, but I play in a band with a guy who plays a Gibson LP and I wouldn't trade it straight up for my Epi LP. Mine holds its tune better, has had far fewer problems, and sounds as good or better. And I've gigged mine harder and a ton more. That doesn't mean that Epiphone > Gibson, but in this case I would take my Epi every day of the week. I also have a Yamaha acoustic (that I paid about $400 for) which sounds beautiful. It was my primary gigging acoustic until it had a run in with an amp (it lost). I was in the studio about a few years ago and I brought my Yamaha to record the acoustic parts. The producer (kind of a jerk) told me to keep in the case and go find a Martin or Taylor. I recorded my parts with the Yamaha and they sounded great. He actually apologized to me when I was done, because "that guitar sounds a lot better than it looks."

Peace,

Last edited:
My most awesome guitar that I didn't pay a lot of money for is an early 1980s Yamaha SHB400. My second most awesome electric guitar that I did not pay much money for is a late 1970s or very early 1980s Peavey T-60. My early 1960s Danelectro-made Silvertone single cutaway single pickup electric guitar with dolphin nose headstock is awesome too. It cost more when i bought it than the SHB400 or T-60. But it was still relatively inexpensive.

I have one particularly awesome Danelectro-made Silvertone that was fairly inexpensive and cost less than the Yamaha SHB400 but a little bit more than the T-60. It is a 1448 that used to be owned and played by Dexter Romweber. It is also the only guitar I have that was modified. Instead of a rosewood bridge it has a brass bridge. The volume knob is changed. The tuners were changed to Klusons. And the guitar has strap locks. I think the strap that came with it used to be a belt. This guitar plays excellently, stays in tune surprisingly well, and has a lot of sustain. It still sounds good and stays in tune although the strings, 12s, have been on it for three or four years.

RockinRob

I bought a Gretsch electromatic from Musicians Friend using the july4 coupon, and I couldn't be happier. I simply can't believe this is a sub 1k guitar. I can't find a flaw on it. It came from MF in great shape. The neck was perfect and needed no adjustment. The action was easily lowered a bit on the bridge. The intonation was way off but easily remedied as well. Just love it.

DustyRhodesJr

I have one particularly awesome Danelectro-made Silvertone that was fairly inexpensive and cost less than the Yamaha SHB400 but a little bit more than the T-60. It is a 1448 that used to be owned and played by Dexter Romweber. It is also the only guitar I have that was modified. Instead of a rosewood bridge it has a brass bridge. The volume knob is changed. The tuners were changed to Klusons. And the guitar has strap locks. I think the strap that came with it used to be a belt. This guitar plays excellently, stays in tune surprisingly well, and has a lot of sustain. It still sounds good and stays in tune although the strings, 12s, have been on it for three or four years.

That is awesome!

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
PRS SE
Epiphone Nighthawk, Crestwood and Wilshire
Seagull dreadnought
Alvarez Parlor
Fender STarcaster Jazz Bass

All bought for less than $400 and all great sounding guitars in their own right (although some have been moved on: donated or sold).

Jonathan

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm a 7-string guy, and for whatever reason these Squiers really work for me, even over much more expensive guitars.

IMG_1566_zps1759f2bf.jpg

IMG_1674_zpsbe3bc4ca.jpg

Very nice. I picked up my Squier Strat VII for about $200. I replaced almost everything on it, but it was a great sounding guitar for almost nothing.

My main gripe was they put the neck pickup in the wrong spot to really sound "Stratty." I just whipped out my Dremel tool, hogged out the cavity towards the neck, and remounted. Much better. ;)

tverb.jpg

monwobobbo

affordable guitars have come a very long way since the 60s. i have a 95 MIM strat that has been modded and a BC Rich NJ classic series Eagle that are my current main guitars. both play and sound great. a real shame that BC Rich can't get it together as they cancelled the classic series along with the exotic series. both were really nice guitars that could hold their own agains more expensive competition. they also looked sharp and didn't have widow headstocks etc that branded them as "metal" only guitars.

sleepingtiger

I have 30+ guitars, some pricey, some not. The cheaper ones I have tend to be on the quirky side. My most recent purchase was an Epiphone 1962 Crestwood Custom RI. It's a really sweet, versatile guitar & cost me $153.xx with a case, COA, candy etc., delivered from MF. I got WAY more than my money's worth!

Tony
Crstwood62_Splash.jpg

navin johnson

I love this Westbury Standard. It's really an SG killer. Great balance, nice neck, sounds like a good SG without the long feeling neck.

i had a deluxe. you do realize that's a matsumoku guitar don't you? when it was new, it wasn't a "cheap" guitar. look at what it cost new then convert into 2015 dollars. they came nicely equipped and were well built. easily as good as any gibson i ever played. i sure wish i could find one during a time when i had the $$ to buy it. i'd trade my strat for one in a blink.

HipKitty

Gold Supporting Member
I have a MIJ Squire "Wayne's World" Strat that I picked up new at the store for $99.00...no one wanted them so they were blowing them out. It has been around half of the world with me when I was a road tech and just about every artist guitar player I was with tried to buy it from me. Sure, I replaced the electronics, but that goes with the price of admission. I refinished it about 15 years ago from white to gold sparkle nitro. To this day, it beats my MIA strats hands down.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom