Let’s compare all the versions of the mighty Fulldrive!

Played a few. All "meh", sorry to say. I know folks really like 'em.

The OCD, otoh, resides permanently on my board and sees frequent use. If I had to pick just one stompbox, it'd be a tossup between the OCD and the Klon KTR. Love the FT wah as well.

I must be missing something on the fulldrives, given all the love ...

I have a large collection of Fulldrives. 75% of them I bought new.

Hammond versions and the TR100 version are the only versions I don’t have….or at least I know of.

I don’t have multiple colors of the same version…but I do have examples of the circuit changes over the years…..or at least I know of.

Over the years the Fulldrive version differences in my opinion is probably the truest definition of “Same smell different flavor” in a dirt box.

My favorite for years has been the long switch 10th anniversary version. Works for me no matter what amp I feed it into. For me that version has all of the best attributes of versions proceeding it ….but more.

The short switch version is really good but there is just something sonically balanced with the long switch version. The short switch version to my ears sounds exactly like the blue mosfet version that followed.

With the Fulldrive 2 v2 I think he has again captured the best attributes of previous versions….but more. The jury is still out with me. More and more it’s looking like the Fulldrive 2 v2 might be kicking the old mule out of the barn.
How is CompCut on the v2 compared to pre-mosfet and 10th anniversary versions? Does it still have that amazing silky amp-like feel and dynamics?

Amish Mafia

I have owned 3 or 4, I like the older ones.

Orange - This was my first boutique pedal, it was great, but then I tired of it.
Blue - This is the voice I really like
3 way toggle - This is what I have now, seems to combine the best of everything, doesn't seem to have as much volume as others, but could be this pedal
Mosfet - Tried a long time ago didn't like it at all, didn't seem as organic, and the high end and response was not at all like the older units.
Later versions - haven't tried any, but it seems like most don't like them.

One I'd like to get is the TR100

Sweepsr

I have had one of the original blue FD back in the early 2000s and regret selling it. I bought the FD2 Anniversary Mosfet about 12 years ago and love it. In fact Ive had it out of my board for about a year now trying other things like the Xotic SL(nice in a Deluxe), Boss SD-1, TS-9, SD 805 or boost pedals into my DSL50. After getting frustrated with my drive I pulled out the FD2 and put it back. It was just a breath of fresh air. Like "Oh. there it is!!" Sweet warm drive. My DSL has never sounded good without it to be honest. Everything else Ive tried is buzzy, processed or metal. Im not a metal guy, I like it but cant play it at all. I like the Black Crowes organic amp sound and the FD2 gets me close.
The drive does kick in around 10 oclock and the boost is not drastic. I can get more control with my Xotic EP in front of FD2.

el34junior

Silver Supporting Member
To me the FD3 & FD2 V2 pick up where the FD2 Mosfet left off.
On the Mosfet FD2 the Comp Cut is the best of all Full-Drives.
The FD3 is a different beast with especially after serial #2548 w/the JFET op-amp buffered bypass.
Channels are independent. Boost cuts thru and is very useable. Drive channel is great in all 3 modes.
The FD2 V2 is unique in that channel 2 has an independent volume and gain control. As long as you leave
channel at a lower volume than 2 you can get tons of extra volume on channel 2 (channels are not independent).
The FD2 V2's tone reminds of the original non-mosfet FD2.
Are the FD3 & FD2 V2 better than the originals? That's for you to decide.
I think both of them are more useable in a live situation.

JoeYello

Gold Supporting Member
I have a late 90’s blue push/pull comp cut. I’d hit it with a Klon. Crazy good tone.

25 years later and 100 or so ODs is my tone better? Probably not…

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
So, is there a big difference in the full drive 3 L version? I’ve always wondered about that, but I’ve never heard anyone who has compared to them both. I really liked my old three way switch models, but I wonder if the full Drive three might get me those tones, with that nice clean boost. Interested if anyone has had both versions of the three?

csanford

Silver Supporting Member
I have an early FD2 - red case with no comp/cut function. Anyone have details? I know nothing about the various models as this is my only reference point.

Thanks!

-chris

Strat58

Hi I use a yellow (customshop)FD into a OCD 1,7 awesome sound, people said it sounded like Gary Moore but more bluesy wich can't be wrong because I play in a Blues-Rock band.
Peace Strat58

So, is there a big difference in the full drive 3 L version? I’ve always wondered about that, but I’ve never heard anyone who has compared to them both. I really liked my old three way switch models, but I wonder if the full Drive three might get me those tones, with that nice clean boost. Interested if anyone has had both versions of the three?
Only had the JFET version of the FD3, I liked it, but after using it for about three years I just ultimately preferred my old toggle version blue FD2’s (especially preferred the CompCut on the older ones) but the independent boost side of the FD3 is a thing of wonder and I’d highly recommend the standalone 2B boost for anybody, it feels like having an extra tube in the chain.
I did really like the wide-asymmetrical setting on the FD3 though, I think this is also on the new FD2v2. Just when I thought I didn’t need another overdrive, I’m now thinking about the FD2v2!!

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
Soon can I ask what you like better about the three-way switch models? That seemed to be my preferred favorites as well. Just curious,

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
Geez, my typing was horrible there. I meant to say what do you like better about the three way switch model? That was my favorite as well over the years, but it’s been a long time. I really really want to find one of the early 10th anniversary mosfet models to try. I did read somewhere that the latest mosfet models were supposed to have a less bright circuit compared to the ones in the middle. I wonder if anyone has tried the different versions of that? Is this just Mike Fuller‘s way of getting us to buy more full drives? Kidding! I wish I had access to a bunch of different versions to actually compare them all side-by-side

Geez, my typing was horrible there. I meant to say what do you like better about the three way switch model? That was my favorite as well over the years, but it’s been a long time. I really really want to find one of the early 10th anniversary mosfet models to try. I did read somewhere that the latest mosfet models were supposed to have a less bright circuit compared to the ones in the middle. I wonder if anyone has tried the different versions of that? Is this just Mike Fuller‘s way of getting us to buy more full drives? Kidding! I wish I had access to a bunch of different versions to actually compare them all side-by-side
All three modes are great for different applications and it just sounds so juicy. Even just in Vintage mode; It’s all the best parts of the SD1 and TS9 with a fatter tone than either. Flat-mids is perfect for tracking rhythms or smoother leads that don’t need to poke through a mix.
It’s simple to use and yet capable of a ton of sounds; extremely robust; works great with any amp and guitar combination. It’s basically just very musical.

CompCut mode takes me to the fair though. Into a good tube amp that’s near the top of its clean headroom or just barely breaking up is something to behold. With just the green channel, it’s sort of silky/fluid, very dynamic and basically feels like an extra preamp tube stage but with the boost engaged it becomes an absolutely huge sounding, harmonically rich SD1/TS like beast with a singing top end and phenomenal string definition. The CompCut setting sounds best to me on this version, compared to either the “pull CompCut” that preceded it, or the FD3.

I’ve far less experience with my mosfet version, I picked it up locally a few months ago in basically mint condition. It’s serial no 35934 but I don’t know where that falls in the “early-middle-late” categories of the mosfet but I hear no discernible difference in standard mode or running CompCut (CompCut is the same no matter where standard/mosfet switch is placed) between it and the earlier two FD2’s.
I’d also offer that mosfet mode is something I really like so far; especially with the vintage clipping; two more very useful varieties of the same flavour.

dangtr

I really like Fulltone gear, and I have a lot of it.
I have and like
FullDrive 2 mosfet
FullDrive 2 V2
FullDrive 3.
Each of those are outstanding for different reasons.
Get any of those FD's and be happy, or get all 3 and be even happier.

I also have and really like:
Clyde Deluxe Wah
Supa Trem Jr
Mini DejaVibe MKII
OCD v2
ABY Switcher

Sold:
PlimSoul

Great gear from a great manufacturer.
Always built like a tank, with great tones, and great features.
He's a guitarist who knows TONE.

Yam the BOMB

Blues Dentist
Platinum Supporting Member
Long switch/cream board/switches are mounted on the enclosure with nuts.

2 examples:

Short switch/green board/switches are board mounted. No nuts on the outside of the enclosure for the switches.

OK I bit and bought that long switch version you linked to even though they wanted a CRAZY amount of shipping (I got them down a bit). It arrived yesterday.

Yes it’s a great one. I’m not sure if it knocks out my blue (pull switch version) one or not yet. I love them both.

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
Can you compare the mosfet and the push/pull? I’d really like to know how they differ and how they’re similar.
Thanks
CC

Yam the BOMB

Blues Dentist
Platinum Supporting Member
Can you compare the mosfet and the push/pull? I’d really like to know how they differ and how they’re similar.
Thanks
CC
So far I would say they are very, very similar. The 10th Anniversery mosfet is very slightly more defined in the highs and upper mids. But the older blue one is very close and just has a slightly grittier character that I favor. But in my opinion it’s really splitting hairs. They are so similar that either is totally acceptable.

Just as they sit I would say I slightly prefer the blue for playing at home but if I was playing with a band the red 10th MAY cut through a slight bit better.

But in the real world just by tweeting the amp’s EQ settings would probably make them equal.

My advice is to not get caught up in all my Blues Dentistry. Just buy either and play the he11 out of it. Both great!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom