Lets compare Rocketfire and Sliders pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Myron Stratis, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

I have a set of Rocketfire Total 60's pickups. They sound really open, clear and percussive, just like an idealised mastered vintage Strat tone: great pickups.

Has anybody compared the 59 Sliders to Rocketfire? Do they share the same sparkle? Which one would you call "fatter" or "woodier" ? I am much more into the heavy overdriven Hendrix/Landau/Trower tone than the sparkly clean early Knopfler one.

2. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Haven't tried the 59 Sliders but LOVE the total 60's in my Dano Strat. The middle pup is surprisingly incredible. I'm in the same camp tonally too.

3. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Hard to go wrong with Nick's pickups. I've also tried his 69 pickups and they are also outstanding. Haven't tried the Sliders.

4. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

Have heard them both in different guitars, both great. Remember, Hendrix used guitars mainly that had plain enamel wire pups in them which tend to be clear, bright, and plenty of sparkle. It was the complete package. Try the Klein 65's for that or his Epic 59's for a bit more mids.

turtleboy3 likes this.
  5. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Supporting Member

Bump. Would love to hear how the slider 59's stack up with the Rocketfire 60's!

6. jojogun1957

jojogun1957 Member

I have the Slider's 59SRV's in one of my strats,and this demo is pretty much how they sound in my guitar.

The regular 59's have a little more sparkle but are still more mids heavy than the Rocketfire's.

I think they sound best for bluesy stuff as they have a lot of punch but aren't scooped enough to excel at the Hendrix/Trower thing.

Mine have very little quack in the 2/4 positions and make my Vibe pedal sound flat.

I second the Klein's,they sound real good and I plan on getting some next.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  7. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Supporting Member

Finally got my Rocketfire's installed. Holy Crap. These are the pickups I've been searching for. So much detail and chime in the notes. They actually sound like vintage pickups, instead of emulating the sound of vintage pickups. If that makes sense.

Only Sliders I've had are his 60's set. Which isn't really apples to apples as they were alnico 3 and wound in the mid 6's making them much warmer and strong mids. They were fantastic though. Obviously can't go wrong with either.

Let's see in this guitar I've had SSL-1s, Don Mare 50's, D Allen Echoes, Klein Jazzy Cats, Lollar Black Face, Lollar Dirty Blondes, Rumpelstiltskin CBS, Rumpelstiltskin Pre-CBS, Slider's 60's, Van Zandt Vintage Plus....finally set. There are excellent qualities on all of the previous sets depending on what you want. For The Rumpel CBS set was by far the best late 60's enamel set I've heard. But for late 50's, early 60's Formvar tones, the rockets are the dogs balls.

8. princetonhustler

princetonhustler Member

...butttttt it’s interesting, bc jimi’s earlier stuff was actually more PE considering his fave guitars were a RW 64 and 66, but in 68 (the black and white strats), SD actually re-wound some FORMVAR pickups to give to jimi.

when i hear early jimi, i hear mostly PE, but when i hear later hendrix, the BOG stuff, filmore, i’m hearing formvar.