Let's cry about amp sims

WildHair

Yo, I'm trying to record my first tune with amp sims, ezdrummer, ezbass, and studio one. Amp sims never sound right no matter what I do. I made this thread to cry about it. Perhaps you have the same issue. Let's talk about it. Maybe we can solve it.

List of sims I've got:
Amp Room
Stl amphub
Amped ml800
Amped roots
Amplitude 4
Guitar rig 5

Focusrite solo
Wolfgang special, Jackson soloist slx

Yes I'm setting the interface level right. Yes I'm changing the strings. Yes I'm restringing.

The only Sim that comes close is amp Room.

Last edited:

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
I tend to use amp sims pragmatically. I record guitar tracks DI'd through my pedal board. If I have time and inclination, when I come to mix the two I'll set up a few amps and re-amp such that it fits the mix, if it's a rougher track or I'm on the clock and trying to keep the cost down I'll use amp sims for the mix. I just use the one that comes with Logic and within the context of a mix I think they sound really good. But I think that's the rub, I'm choosing them to suit a mix rather than sitting down and trying to dial in a perfect sound before I perform, I just load them up and see what works with a bunch of other stuff going on around it.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Try running your fave OD pedal straight in, work with EQ's an IR's compression and ambience to force it to your will.
For clean, pick an amp sim that gets close and make it behave. The tone tools are more important than using a bad sim, no matter what they call the sim.
YMMV.

twoheadedboy

Yo, I'm trying to record my first tune with amp sims, ezdrummer, ezbass, and studio one. Amp sims never sound right no matter what I do. I made this thread to cry about it. Perhaps you have the same issue. Let's talk about it. Maybe we can solve it.

List of sims I've got:
Amp Room
Stl amphub
Amped ml800
Amped roots
Amplitude 4
Guitar rig 5

Focusrite solo
Wolfgang special, Jackson soloist slx

Yes I'm setting the interface level right. Yes I'm changing the strings. Yes I'm restringing.

The only Sim that comes close is amp Room.

When you say that Amp Room comes close, what is it coming close to?

WildHair

When you say that Amp Room comes close, what is it coming close to?
Generally 80s metal (Demartini, Bettencourt, EVH)

It's not necessarily that the tone is bad. It's just that it ends up losing the life of it when I try to mixdown, and ends up just being this brittle, thin sounding, non-punchy sound. I find amp sims to be natural flub meisters too. But this all could just boil down to my ignorance of, mixing/mastering, and dialing tone. So my only resort right now is to cry about it on the internet.

twoheadedboy

It's not necessarily that the tone is bad. It's just that it ends up losing the life of it when I try to mixdown, and ends up just being this brittle, thin sounding, non-punchy sound. I find amp sims to be natural flub meisters too. But this all could just boil down to my ignorance of, mixing/mastering, and dialing tone. So my only resort right now is to cry about it on the internet.

Have you ever recorded with an amp and a mic?

twotone

The distortions sound okay with most amp sims, but I've yet to hear a 412 cabinet sim that I like. Most cab sims are close miked sounds, and with close miking a lot of middle and bass is lost.

Ghostmaker

I tinkered with a bunch of Dual Rectifier sims until I finally accepted the only thing that would make me happy is a real one. Got it and couldn't be happier. I immediately got the tone I had wanted after all the years of sims.

I still use sims when I need to play quietly, record a thought, or achieve a certain tone. But I think tube amps have a warmth and dynamics that sims haven't captured yet. I'm probably going to sound like an old fuddy duddy, but I also think tube amps have a feel to them. If your heart is set on a certain amp, a sim won't be as satisfying to play or enjoyable to listen to, you're going to play and sound your best with the real deal.

art_z

Silver Supporting Member
Only amp sim I’ve found I liked was the Friedman BE100. PlugIn Alliance has all amp sims on sale today for $29

Rocco Crocco

It sounds like you don't have an amp sim problem, but rather you need to work on mixing.

Can you post a sample?

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
I've been using dedicated modelers with EZ Drummer and various bass VSTs (most recently MODO Bass) for years with great results. Must say though that getting a guitar track to sit in a mix right often requires a very different tone to the point of sometimes sounding bad on it's own than for general playing.

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member

Too much distortion is likely a big part of the problem. Try way lower gain settings and see how they sound in the mix. Add more midrange as well.

Too much distortion is likely a big part of the problem. Try way lower gain settings and see how they sound in the mix. Add more midrange as well.
This is bang on. It can be pretty jarring when you start getting into a full recording or band situation with how much you may have to adjust your amp/sim settings to play nicely in a full band/mix context as opposed to playing by yourself.

Ugly Bunny

Is it the tone you dislike or the overall feel/experience? Because latency that is present to some degree in ALL amp sims can be a vibe-killer, even if it sounds good.

Ugly Bunny

This is bang on. It can be pretty jarring when you start getting into a full recording or band situation with how much you may have to adjust your amp/sim settings to play nicely in a full band/mix context as opposed to playing by yourself.
I ruined two full albums because of this. I go back and listen and my guitar just sounds like paper static. I wish I would have used less gain :(

I ruined two full albums because of this. I go back and listen and my guitar just sounds like paper static. I wish I would have used less gain :(
When I got into my first serious band I remember when we started recording our practices and how eye opening it was for myself and the other guitarist. Just sounded like complete @ss. I’m glad we started doing that before we actually started playing any shows and didn’t subject our audience to it.

Watt McCo

Listen to tracks you are trying to copy and try to figure out how many guitar parts there are that make up the guitar tone. Listening to Round and Round right now and...there are a LOT of guitar tracks going on. All the time. Panned all over the place.

Top Bottom