Let's discuss the new Gibson V.O.S.-historics

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by teddy boy, Mar 13, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Guys,

The Gibson marketing machine has won me over. I love the look of those instruments. I'm really GASsing for a '58 Plain Top in Washed Cherry. The ageing on the parts and finish are excellent! The factory PLEKking is a real bonus.

What are your thought on these instruments? Worth the money? Another Gibson gimmick?

Anybody have one? Pics are welcome!!

2. HHB

HHB Member

I played a bunch in the Gibby trailer @ the Spartanburg show, I was impressed, I really want the 61 SG I played, the VOS finish looks just right to my eye, kinda like a closet classic Fender, not too much wear, just enough, and they played like buttah! too bad it's all farm wood now

3. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

I have interest in these...they are just so damn expensive! I think if the quality matched the price, I'd be more willing to shell out the cash. Gibsons are cool and all, but a list price of over 8 grand for a 59? Just my opinion.

4. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I agree on tghe '59 price. How can it be over half the price of a '58 plaintop? The difference in price can't constitute of just the figured top and Lifton case. I think the street price for a '58 is ok though... Apparently the PLEK does wonders to a guitar and the finishing is suberb on these beauts!

5. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I agree on the '59 price. How can it be over half the price of a '58 plaintop? The difference in price can't constitute of just the figured top and Lifton case. I think the street price for a '58 is ok though... Apparently the PLEK does wonders to a guitar and the finishing is suberb on these beauts!

6. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

I have played a few VOS's now, and can say I am very happy with them. They certainly are not "Relics" by any stretch of the imagination, but they do look and feel "broken in". Much like my 6 year old Strat feels after many long nights of playing.

+1 on teddy boy's comments though. I cannot bring myself to drop 3k+ on a '59 when I can find gorgeous '58's for just over 2k.

7. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

There's your answer. Check out the difference in the weight of an R8 and an R9. They started using heavier (read: less expensive) wood on the R8s sometime around 02.

8. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Is that it? Thanks for clearing that up! I was wondering about that. So the R9's have some sort of super-selected mahogany?

9. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

It's true that the R9 will get the lighter wood (as will the R0) but the difference in price is in the top (since R8s went to plaintops only in 2003) and that little number "9" in the serial number.

[​IMG]

10. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Did they do the top change first?

There used to be some really pretty and cool R8 tops in late 01-02. Mine's an early (January) 01, that AAA or whatever top is pretty weak as far as uber tops go- but it's cool in it's own way.

11. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

The VOS series has made a 100 % Fender dude go totally nuts, it's that good a marketing trick! I really like the R8, actually a plain top is exactly what I'd want. Don't get me wrong I love the flame tops, they are breathtaking, but I don't know if they'd work for me, they just kind of feel too luxorious and I feel more like a blue collar guitar player if that makes any sense, I like the keith richards visual side of things..

Anyway, the VOS series is really cool, they've got a bunch of guitars that've got me GASsing. The '57 Junior, the R8, R4, R7 GT, '61 SG.. Talking about Gibson Custom Shop, don't even start about the psychedelic Hendrix V.

The prices on R9's and R0's seems totally out of control when compared to R8's and the rest of them. Can the wood really cost that much? Seems a bit weird. The rest of the VOS guitars seem to have decent street prices. Actually when comparing to Fender CS the prices are a bit lower atleast here in Finland. I find that a bit odd. Think about it, an R8 with a mahogany body and carved maple top all with binding, a set neck with fingerboard and binding, the plekking, so much more work it's insane compared to the relatively crude Fenders.

I find the VOS finish to be the perfect compromise between the Fender CS closet classic and NOS finishes.

12. Thwap

Thwap Member

I haven't played one, but haven't heard of anyone who has played one not liking the feel. Looks like the attention to detail is there, guys are reporting they're set up lower than ever, with intonation spot on right out of the case. Nuts have been cut correctly, they look like the real deal IMO.

I'm just wondering if they're gonna be releasing an R7 blacktop...anybody know????

13. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

all gibson "historic" guitars will now be vos. there not called historics anymore. meaning all the "historic models from R4-R0 will all made to VOS specs. and i don't think they're doing the CA line either.

14. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Yep, I think I'm trading my Standard for a V.O.S. R8. Thwap, I've checking ut the LP-forum and you're right, no complaints there from anybody about setups etc. That guitar is sweet...

15. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

16. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

V.O.S = Vintage Original Spec

Last year it was CA = Custom Authentic

Next year! TRD = The Real Deal?

17. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

So...let me see if I got this right...

- No more Historics.
    - Replaced with VOS models.
    - No more CA
    - But VOS will have CA finish?
    - Where is TM in the mix? (Tom Murphy)

I've been so confused on the VOS since its introduction.
    I wouldn't mind having a '57 Goldie with the CA finish.
    Hopfully that is what the V.O.S. '57 Goldtop.

18. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

...so you can not get a "new" R8 or R9 and have the full gloss (none worn) finish anymore?

19. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

LOL. I paid an extra 2-300 for my CA GT. Now you pay more for a non-dulled finish? Strange days, indeed.

20. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Err-uhhhhhhhhnnnnggg...can't be original spec if there ain't no Brazillian fingerboards and last I checked,Henry said there would be no more Braz due to it being an endangered wood...and-they still hadn't gotten the dimensions identical to the 57-60,as of last year were still screwing around with it.