Lets get real about Cort guitars.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Yamaha 350, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

My first electric was a cheap Cort Les Paul copy with a bolt on neck

It did its job ... I learned a lot of Jimmy page licks on that thing

Then I made the mistake of loaning it to my cousin and someone stole it from him

Sorry to here about the worker complaints …

:munch

2. jester700

jester700 Member

I don't think that the cheap Cort guitars sucking "in the day" is much of a point. ALL the cheap guitars sucked before CMC machines allowed cheap production to turn out decent product. Other brands at the same price point were no better, and you had to get a pricier Japanese or USA guitar for better quality. And IMO at a given price point Cort competes well with anyone else. What's just as shameful IMO is the EXPENSIVE crap that Gibson and Fender have cranked out at various points in their histories.

I have a range of guitars including USA Parkers and Japanese Ibanez, but my Cort M800 and M900 rank among my favorites. I was looking to buy a PRS Hollowbody but actually didn't like the feel as much as my Corts - so I had steel frets installed on my Corts instead.

Of course, this says nothing about business practices. If what I've seen is an honest representation of the story, it is shameful - and if I wanted a cheaper Strat or LP copy or generic shredder axe, I'd likely go elsewhere. But for what I wanted, it was the Cort or a PRS at 5x the price I didn't like as much.

9fingers likes this.
  3. ooglybong

ooglybong Member

As was Joe Beck. I have one of his signature Cort archtops, and it’s a really fine guitar. (And I have a Hofner Jazzica, several upper end Eastman archtops, a Yamaha AEX1500 Martin Taylor, plus a few other quality archtops for comparison.)

That said, of course the company builds some lower end guitars. But really, though, what mainstream guitar company has not to some degree at one point or another?

4. ooglybong

ooglybong Member

Speaking of nicer Corts, I also have a great Neil Zara signature model (Duncan’s, Grovers, TonePros, the works, super quality and playability), and honestly it’s pretty much right up there with my several PRSes and USA Peaveys (best kept secret).

Oh, yeah. I also have a Triggs thin line arch top by Cort, single neck pickup. I use it exclusively for jazz. It plays and sounds wonderful and somehow even has all the “thunk” of most any ES-175 I’ve ever tried.

That said, I definitely feel for the workers at Cort, per the reports over the years.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  5. Bill Hershey

Bill Hershey Member

Hi guys,
    I have a Cort which I have had for 23 years or so. I gigged with it for years, dropped it off the stage, and played it so much there's a dark mark on the maple neck around 12th position. One of the knobs got disconnected, probably from years of doing volume swells. It's in the shop right now. It came with a Wilkinson semi-floating trem, and Sperzel locking tuners. I love this guitar! I will post a picture of it when I get it out of the shop. It's orange-to-red flamed maple. Beautiful. The hardware is gold and the gold is coming off from being played so much, so one of the projects on my list is all new black hardware. This is a fantastic guitar. I think it was about 750 new. My mom bought it for me because I was only 17. Stay tuned for the pic.!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  6. Bill Hershey

Bill Hershey Member

Yeah, Neil Zaza's pretty good. My Cort is super nice too! Their higher end stuff is tip top. I just found out they make sterling for Music Man too. I was thinking about buying one even before I learned that. I might get the Majesty John Petrucci 7 string. The one I want is like $1500. I cant afford the $3500 one. I bet it's nice though. If you want to deal with all the active electronics and Piezo system. I've heard Ernie Ball is pretty supportive, but I prefer some passive Duncans anyway.

ooglybong likes this.
  7. Bill Hershey

Bill Hershey Member

Check out what Target has to offer online. E.B. and LTD. Nice ones too!

8. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

My experience as well. I had one of those guitars it had coil splits....looked great.

Bill Hershey likes this.
  9. Bill Hershey

Bill Hershey Member

I'll post pics when I get it out of the shop

10. Bill Hershey

Bill Hershey Member

Mine has a push/pull coil tap. I think it's pretty standard on the good Corts.

11. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

Some will not buy from Target, Walmart or any other store. Sears and Wards sold guitars at one time in history. And guitars players and one's that was not born then have never gotten over it.o_O:facepalm:dunno

12. Babaji

Babaji Member

I was given a Cort Classic that was brand new. It was in a Pawn shop...Non functional. I said I would take it home and re-heat the solder joints. They said "Don't bring it back". It's actually a very good sounding/playing guitar!

fretless and Bill Hershey like this.
  13. TS808

TS808 Member

Sorry, but referring to Cort guitars in the 1980's isn't addressing the OP's original question. I owned a 1983 Fender Strat that was pure junk (one tone control, one volume contol and the output jack was where the 2nd tone control was supposed to go)...does that mean Fender is junk now?? Guitars made for Sears weren't marketed toward serious musicians....they were more for kids who probably wanted a guitar for Christmas. How about anyone with experience with a newer Cort guitar or reasons why this brand is overlooked NOW? I've seen a few posts on here about the Cort CR250 being a pretty good guitar.

14. Bill Hershey

Bill Hershey Member

[​IMG]
    This one looks ok, but the top looks kind of butchered to me. It's something new, and creates a more ergonomic shape. Probably. What do you think? I bet it plays well.

ooglybong likes this.
  15. ooglybong

ooglybong Member

Didn't know Cort made Sterling, but that also doesn't surprise me either, since I've long been aware they've been building for a lot of brands. Speaking of Sterling, I was recently able to try out their James Valentine model at a local store—but in both the original EBMM and the Sterling versions (both brand new, right off the wall). Just for fun, but mostly out of, er, "scientific curiosity". The Results (IMO): (1) Both are really nice guitars. (2) While the EBMM is about four times the cost of the Sterling, it's also not four times better. Really, I'd be totally happy playing either guitar on a gig, etc., although I will add that, in this 'isolated test' situation, the EBMM was the better guitar by a good smidge. Heh, it sure better be, right?

fretless and Bill Hershey like this.
  16. ooglybong

ooglybong Member

My first impression is "very cool!". Yummy, even. IMO. Surely influenced (IMO) by some other builders out there, but it still seems like a fairly original take, at least by degrees. That being said, it's, er, a bit too poynty (sic) for my tastes. ;-)

Have you seen this new Cort, their G Series G290 FAT?

Now THAT is something I could definitely get on board with.

17. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

Cort makes fabulous guitars and they are one of the best guitar factories in the world. The 80s are a long time ago and the Cort Guitars that were sold from the sears catalog at that time are far from what they are now. One of my favorite guitars that I own is a Cort CR300 which is one of the nicest Les Paul guitars that I have ever played. It has everything a Gibson does (it has the thick maple top not a veneer) for a fraction of the price.

ultradust, ooglybong and Bill Hershey like this.
  18. Agramal

Agramal Supporting Member

They were always a lackluster import brand for me - a reputation that was established in the '90s pretty much. I remember a buddy of mine had a Cort that we dubbed "the Cort Reed Smith" that played okay. Nothing special or memorable about them really, they were either cheap junk or just okay, a placeholder on the way to something better usually.

fretless likes this.
  19. LaXu

LaXu Member

The Cort M800 was a really nice guitar. I contemplated buying one several times. I also had a Cort Artisan bass that was heavy but otherwise very nicely made. I don't really have anything bad to say about their guitars.

Over 10 years ago when they were more of a thing at least in my country, I felt they were the best of the South Korean manufacturers. Samick was peddling those photoflame top pieces of crap under their own brand name.