Let's get this Van Halen thread started ...... Let's not stop soon ......

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I've been thinking about Van Halen a lot lately for some weird reason.
    I took a look back and made notes about my personal favorites, likes and dis-likes over the years. Feel free to try and correct me, or add your opinions if you think it's going to do any good... :red

Van Halen

1. Runnin' With The Devil
    2. Eruption
    3. You Really Got Me
    4. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    5. I'm The One
    6. Jamie's Cryin'
    7. Atomic Punk
    8. Feel Your Love Tonight
    9. Little Dreamer
    10. Ice Cream Man
    11. On Fire

Well gee, if the original debut VH was the ONLY album they ever did, I'd die happy because every song on it was just KILLER! :love: The guitar tone was something not heard before .... amazing tone, not that overdriven but sustain that lasted long after the album turned itself off and you passed out.

Van Halen II

1. You're No Good
    2. Dance The Night Away
    3. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    4. Bottom's Up
    5. Outta Love Again
    6. Light Up The Sky
    7. Spanish Fly
    8. D.O.A.
    9. Women In Love
    10. Beautiful Girls

Another Fantastic album. Mind boggling actually in how good these guys could play. I think any other band that was on tour with them were starting to get pissed off because VH was absolutely stealing the show .... a hard act to follow.

The only weird thing is the solo on Bottoms Up .... it sounded like someone threw a blanket over the cab or something ... the rest of the record sounded great!

Women and children First

1. And The Cradle Will Rock
    2. Everybody Wants Some
    3. Fools
    4. Romeo Delight
    5. Tora Tora
    6. Loss Of Control
    7. Take Your Whiskey Home
    8. Could This Be Magic
    9. In A Simple Rhyme

I suppose after VH and VHII, you've got to change it up a bit and try something else. :cry: I thought tracks 1,2,4,6,7 and 9 were the best off this album .... the rest was kind of weird, but interesting.

Fair Warning

1. Mean Street
    2. Dirty Movies
    3. Sinner's Swing
    4. Hear About It Later
    5. Unchained
    6. Push Comes To Shove
    7. So This Is Love
    8. Sunday Afternoon In The Park
    9. One Foot Out The Door

This album is a bit over rated IMO. I mean, it has some of the best tunes so far starting with the KILLER Mean Street, and they were all original tunes. My favorite tracks are 1,3,4,5 and 7. So 5 great tunes off this album .... the rest .... meh.

Diver Down

This album is UNDER rated IMO, Everyone whines about this album but it was nearly as good as Fair Warning. :red

1. Where Have All The Good Times Gone
    2. Hang 'Em High
    3. Cathedral
    4. Secrets
    5. Intruder
    6. (Oh) Pretty Woman
    7. Dancing In The Street
    8. Little Guitars (Intro)
    9. Little Guitars
    10. Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now)
    11. The Full Bug
    12. Happy Trails

Best tracks were 1,2,3,4,8,9 and 11. Gee, that's 7 good tracks where as Fair Warning only had 5 good (although more potent) tracks. Weird!

I loved this album. I even like Jump, so sue me. They were definitely growing and changing as a band, and that's usually a good thing. Really, there wasn't a single clunker on this album!

1. 1984
    2. Jump
    3. Panama
    4. Top Jimmy
    5. Drop Dead Legs
    6. Hot For Teacher
    7. I'll Wait
    8. Girl Gone Bad
    9. House Of Pain

A Different Kind of Truth

1. Tattoo
    2. She's The Woman
    3. You and Your Blues
    4. China Town
    5. Blood and Fire
    6. Bullethead
    7. As Is
    8. Honeybabysweetiedoll
    9. Trouble with Never
    10. Outta Space
    11. Stay Frosty
    12. Big River
    13. Beats Workin

Naturally this album was a surprise to most of us. I think most of the songs on it are good except the Stay Frosty clunker. Really, to me the best run of songs is Bullethead through Outta Space .... the album takes a break at Stay Frosty .... that's when you can get up and get another beer or take a bathroom break and then 12 and 13 are good. I kind of wish they would have left Big River as Big trouble… I mean, we were already used to Big Trouble :waiting

After listening to the new album for 3 weeks straight and then looking at their old stuff again, I think VH and VHII, or the cherry picks from Fair Warning will never EVER be beat, but I am certainly digging hearing something new and on fire from the boys! :hiP

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Ummm... correction sir "Dirty Movies" is in fact one of Van Halen's best songs. Carry on.

3. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for that, Tweed...:facepalm
    but I don't think there is a single clunker on any of those albums

4. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

OK, I see what you're going for. You left out a few (million) records!

Also, my CD of ADKOT has 13 tracks..."The Trouble with Never" is #9 :)

Also, Push Comes to Shove is pretty killer.

Also, did you ever notice how Dave's acoustic was out of sync in Could this Be Magic??? Yet I love that song.

Also, I never liked the line about a dirty faced kid in a garbage can, yuck.

5. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

:agree

and I've gotta say that Take Your Whiskey Home has some of my favorite guitar tone of the entire W&CF album

6. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Bottom's Up sounds like a cranked amp, with some over the top outboard processing (flange?) to mix it up maybe? :dunno It never bothered me, but it is kinda different & weird.

I'm with ya on Diver Down, I wonder what guitar was on Little Guitars (the chorused track), it almost sounds like a Les Paul.

7. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

I see! I fixed it, thanks. :)

Dirty Movies huh? I"ll have to give that one another listen .... :waiting ... it was a strange tune as I remember.

8. Lukeling

Lukeling Member

If I was complaining about music, none of the DLR Van Halen albums would feature. Awesome from first to last. Seriously great.:aok:aok:aok There is now way I would have thought in 2012 there would be a new VH album & it would be killer :huh;)

9. Ben R

Ben R Member

Thanks for creating this thread. Having said that, I have minor disagreements with some of what you said. (For example, with the new record... I LOVE "Stay Frosty" and I feel that the stuff outside of the range of songs that you prefered is best.) But, of course, this stuff is alll a matter of preference and personal opinion.

I ultimately love most of this stuff.

10. Stike

Stike Member

:agree

And while you're at it listen to that ripping lead on "One Foot Out The Door".

11. bsteff666

bsteff666 Supporting Member

Beaver, PA (That's just outside of Pittsburgh)
    I always thought it was that little guitar...the mini short scale Les Paul.

12. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

I'm a big fan of that tune as well, one of my favs. Only due to the fact it encompasses the whole EVH guitar technique playbook in one song, mostly at the intro. Tapped harmonics, slide (rare), pick scrapes, palm edge muting with hook, drop D grind, behind the nut rake, hammer-ons, pull-offs, dives..it's all there, not in that order though. I found it the more interesting song to work on once I had the Fair Warning tab book after wanking through the rest of the songs. Perhaps for me Dirty Movies (and One Foot Out the Door) were more interesting only since they are deep cuts and lesser known, IDK. :huh

13. Lukeling

Lukeling Member

How cool is it that you can say...."Tapped harmonics, slide (rare), pick scrapes, palm muting, drop D grind, behind the nut rake, hammer-ons, pull-offs, dives "

:omg:aok

14. ShomerShabbos

ShomerShabbos Supporting Member

15. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Uh-uh-uh!!!!!!
    Uh-uh-uh!!!!!!
    Uh-uh-uh!!!!!!

Uh-uh!!!!!!

Uh!!!!!!!!!

16. Sunburst

Sunburst Member

In an old GW that I have lying around, he said that it was an LP Jr.

17. monty

monty Member

Hell yeah! Its one of my fav on all their albums.

18. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

I love every tune on every record with DLR, and that definitely includes the new album too!

19. V-Type

V-Type Member

All the DLR releases with Van Halen are gold imo.
    Even the somewhat meh songs are more interesting than what most other bands put out.
    In the late 70's and early 80's No Hard Rock band could touch VH and for good reason.
    They had all the right ingredients for continued success:
    Top Tier musicianship
    Way out of the box song writing
    Amusement park like stage shows
    And a huge interest or fervor if you will in Every release after VH I

Only other Hard Rock band in the 80's with such pull would have been Ozzy and coincidentally he and Sharon used the same formula as VH and look how he blew up in the 80's.

I know Im alienating a few folks but honestly I had Zero interest in the Love fest/sappy writings that were ushered in when Hagar joined the group.
    Its like they traded in their shock and awe music(Roth years) for air play and top 40 status what with their over the top Love songs.

Dont get me wrong I like Sammy the solo artist but not Sammy the VH frontman.
    I always felt Hagar and VH dumbed things down too appeal too a larger and more pop oriented audience.

20. Ben R

Ben R Member

Ab-so-freakin'-LUTELY! :beer
    I remember the crowd for the 1984 tour. FUN, FUN, FUN! Full of generally cool people who love rock music and want to party. Then, Hagar joined the band. [​IMG]

The lamer crowd started to filter in and with each tour it got worse. Suddenly, I found myself looking around at a bunch of soccer moms, girls who didn't really like hard rock, and their lame boyfriends who were pretending that they were at a hard-core rock concert (none of whom had any clue).

I feel like I've got my Van Halen back. Finally.