Let's have a crazy vintage pricing thread

sws1

To be clear, vintage guitars are expensive by nature. Not interested in talking about guitars that are simply expensive, but rather those who asking prices have become....lets just say..."outliers" in the normal year over year price evolution. There has definitely been some WTF prices in the past few months.

I'll start.

1954 Strat w/ repro case- $130,000

(Side note - interesting that the name in the URL is "copy of fender strat 1955")

Heinz W

Genuine '66 Relic
Platinum Supporting Member
Also 130k:

Buddhist#6

Courtney DIDN’T Kill Kurt!
Silver Supporting Member
There all overpriced for some piece of wood, and some old demagnetized pickups? Ugh… it’s an “electric guitar” people are paying for old wood? And you need to rewind the pickups… for that price? C’mon now! The prices aren’t the crazy part, it’s the people who buy em that are!

Space Jazzer

1640262345430.gif

SushiPowPow

I pick Jerry Cantrell's "Wino". He's an absolute fav of mine but this thing...

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic

He’s a fave of mine too, Sushi - but his new Gibson sig isn’t an old guitar.

I think @sws1 is going for outrageous asking prices for vintage guitars.

sws1

10 million? No matter fake or real?

More and more...

Let's keep celebrity instruments out of the discussion. That's a whole 'nother ball of wax.'
The point is to highlight things that have gotten crazy in the past year for vintage guitars (which IMO is a different category than celebrity memorabilia).

Not a vintage guitar.

BRumbler

How about a 1952 Mickey mantle baseball card selling for 50,000 usd. I had a lot of those back in the fifties . Rick Harrison is a multimillionaire buying and selling. guitars Are no different. People are no different. Money keeps adding zeros

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
Prices for refinished Fender's have me scratching my head...

$28.5k for that one. I could see that price for a body-only refinish will all else original. But that is not the case. Not only is this a body refinish, but also a refinished neck with replacement decal, non-original tuners, replaced plastics, and replaced pots.

TrueFifth

Let's keep celebrity instruments out of the discussion...

OK. I don't have very recent examples, but give you these just because I remember them:

I followed these cheapos that Fender itself listed as 'certified vintage' some time ago, and there still seems to be one left, down to $38,700 from $43,000:

But gone are these:

A '54 strat sold it seems, after slight reduction from $85,000 to $76,500 - but I guess these are cheap compared to some of the above mentioned examples...

This '57 Strat sold also, down from $50,000 to $45,000

I think there was a very early Tele as well, but can't find it anymore.

There also is this rare bird listed for only $40,000:

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
OK. I don't have very recent examples, but give you these just because I remember them:

I followed these cheapos that Fender itself listed as 'certified vintage' some time ago, and there still seems to be one left, down to $38,700 from $43,000:

I have questions about that one. Am I crazy, or does it like like it has been refinished? It looks like it was a sunburst in the neck pocket. I suppose it's possible it was finished LPB over Sunburst at the factory, but I'm not willing to bet on it.

ftoxwsnn6p1p4tbrd6al.jpg

Last edited:

BlueWolf

Mutations Expert
How about a juicy ‘60 Les Paul for the low, low price of $255,710.10. I’m thinking about making an offer of $255,710.09. I mean, after all, “this guitar ticks all the right boxes.” The only thing that bothers me a little is that for $255k, I wouldn’t even get free shipping.

Last edited:

TrueFifth

Is that actually from Fender? It's listed as Chicago IL.

I have questions about that one. Am I crazy, or does it like like it has been refinished? It looks like it was a sunburst in the neck pocket.

I remember the sales pitch as Fender selling these after having used them for producing custom shop guitars or something - I found it again it seems, text with video and all:

With regard to the sunburst, if it is: Fender could paint over bad sunbursts, or for delivering custom colours, if I got it right, so it doesn't have to be non-factory, if there is a sunburst underneath...

TooMuchFiber

Silver Supporting Member
$78,000 for a first year LP Gold Top ('52). I saw this in a local shop in Atlanta. Seems like a great deal in comparison with some of the posts above! It was really in great condition, they say it's likely the best first-year LP in existence, and I wouldn't doubt it.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
I remember the sales pitch as Fender selling these after having used them for producing custom shop guitars or something - I found it again it seems, text with video and all:

Yeah, I edited my post while you were quoting mine. I see this is offered from Fender.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom