Let's have a crazy vintage pricing thread

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve been watching the prices of various ‘65 starts since I bought a very nice one about a year and a half ago. It’s been interesting watching the asking price of these skyrocket but I’ve noticed that these dealers are not actually selling any. There are a few dealers asking over 30k for sunburst ‘65s in good condition … it’s ridiculous. I realize everything is open for negotiation but I have to wonder what planet the are on when you can find some really nice ones (comprable) in the 19-24k range and even those seem to be sitting ….

I wonder if others are seeing the same out there.

Gear sales always slow down in the summer, and it was inevitable that sales would slow down this summer as COVID has loosened it's stranglehold on us and many are excited to take that vacation that they did not take the last 2 or 3 years. Not to mention the uncertainty over the economy...

I did see '65s selling earlier this year with asking prices in the $22-$25 range. But yeah, $30k for a '65 seems to be pushing the limits of what the market will bear.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
I'm left handed but was already fairly far down the road with violin before I took an interest in guitar so I had left hand dexterity and it didn't occur to me to consider playing left handed.

I get it, and I hope I did not come across as rude or condescending to left-handed players. That was not my intension.

Sampler

Gold Supporting Member
Saw that one and it struck me that it has a pickguard with mother of toilet seat on the back… I always thought this was a late 60s thing. Me 65 has the same guard and I always thought it was a replacement…I wonder if they were using this material during that era?

LesterSays

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve been watching the prices of various ‘65 starts since I bought a very nice one about a year and a half ago. It’s been interesting watching the asking price of these skyrocket but I’ve noticed that these dealers are not actually selling any. There are a few dealers asking over 30k for sunburst ‘65s in good condition … it’s ridiculous. I realize everything is open for negotiation but I have to wonder what planet the are on when you can find some really nice ones (comprable) in the 19-24k range and even those seem to be sitting ….

I wonder if others are seeing the same out there.
30k for a 65 is bonkers. You can get a 58 for that

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
I know of one ‘58 for sale at $30k, but for the most part asking prices for a ‘58 are more like $40k right now.

Jorge E

Oh wow I remember asking about this guitar and find out it's just across the bay now

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
Oh wow I remember asking about this guitar and find out it's just across the bay now

Nice guitar but that's not a name I'd associate with a big mark up for player connection.

Mr. Mercy

Somewhat puzzled by OP. Very cool iconic vintage ES-335 guitar and a truly great musical artist - especially liked his time with guys like Nick Lowe and Billy Bremner. At the end of the day, guessing that Jay might come off the price a bit.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
I think it's just one of those Venn diagrams where you have fans of the artist and people with the budget to get into blonde dots, the crossover is surely fairly small. All power to Jay though if he gets close to this, the only real way to value something like this is float it on the market and see what response you can get.

I advised a dealer friend a couple of years ago in selling a blonde dot with some issues, we agreed the way to price it was to float it higher than we thought it would probably sell for, gauge the response for a month or so and then adjust accordingly. I remember the guitar being discussed on here and people grumbled a bit at the price but it worked well, I think after getting some initial offers he adjusted it down a bit and it sold fairly quickly after that.

crashbelt

Silver Supporting Member
I really liked Dave Edmunds work over the years - especially the Rockpile era. A real musicians' musician if that makes sense.

But I can't see his former ownership adding anything to the value of a rather scruffy snakebite '60 blonde 335. $20-30k overvalued in my very subjective opinion.

Cody

Well, look who’s undead!
Dave Edmunds is awesome, and I’ve coveted his blonde dot since my teens.

That said, I can’t see myself paying a celebrity premium for any guitar.

Liquid

Silver Supporting Member

Anyone care to pay about 10,000 dollars more than these were last year? (Or 15,000 more than pre pandemic?) The sickest part is i don't even know if this is market anymore.

Late 66 telecaster blonde, nineteen thousand dollars

magnus02

Silver Supporting Member

Way out of my price range but damn would I pay for a repro that looks similar. What a vibe. Not exact, just in that ballpark.

KFBR392

Silver Supporting Member
Anybody got $50,000? He accepts offers. Maybe you can get it for 49999.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom