Lets have some fun. Speaker mixing death match in a 4x12

john l

Silver Supporting Member
Hey fellas. I know a lot of people have luck mixing and matching speakers and while I dont generally get into this Ive ended up in the position where I have a few pairs laying around that Id like to combine in an Empty Rectifier 4x12. Would love to pick the forums brain about different combinations and just as importantly their locations in the 4x12. My goal here is to come up with a good combo and sell off the rest.

In 16 ohms I have the following pairs...
G1265s from the 80s
Uk Vintage 30s
Alnico Golds
Greenbacks
Red Fang Alnicos
G12T 75s

In 8 ohms I have pair
Scumback M75s
Uk Vintage 30w

So far Ive tried and didnt really dig....
GBs (top) and V30s (bottom) ala Friedman
V30s and T75s (X Pattern) ala Bogner Uberkab
Golds (top) and Fangs (bottom) that was just a bright mess.

EDIT ******THE ONLY THING I ASK IS THAT YOU PLEASE ONLY SUGEST THINGS YOUVE ACTUALLY TRIED******

Last edited:

V-man

I would play w the 65s

W v30s
W GBs
W 75s

Bet you get something interesting w 1 of those 3 mixes.

john l

Silver Supporting Member
I didn’t include and amp in this because I play everything from vintage Marshall’s and bassmans to BE100s and Uberschalls. Heavy overdrive would be the only commonality.

john l

Silver Supporting Member
I would play w the 65s

W v30s
W GBs
W 75s

Bet you get something interesting w 1 of those 3 mixes.

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have said this in the OP but for anyone that wants to throw their hat in please only do so if you've actually tried and like what youre recommending

V-man

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have said this in the OP but for anyone that wants to throw their hat in please only do so if you've actually tried and like what youre recommending
Yes, you should have. That aside, I have done V30 and G12K100 cabs against a GT65 IR with interesting results (for me- i can also do 65/blackbacks but haven’t yet).

It’s Not the same as loading 2v2 in a 412 but probably better and more relevant than most of what you’ll get in this thread with that new qualifier you just added.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a Two Rock 2x12 with a Gold and greenback mix, but was the WGS Invader version of a greenback. Was a nice mix, but I like the Gold alone better than the mix. If you're greenbacks are Celestion RIs, they will probably sound good, but you're still diluting the wonderful (and expensive) Gold vibe.

At one time or another, Ive owned all of those speakers except the Red Fang Alnico and G12T 75. I appreciate your review as I was considering a Gold Red Fang mix, and will pass on buying one.

Funny, I have a 16 ohm Gold and 8 ohm Scumback M75 too (my M75 is LD). Frustrating having different ohms and not being able to mix. Both excellent speakers. :messedup

Maybe you need to sell the 4x12 and get some 2x12s. :aok

Last edited:

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
If it were me, with my rig, and my taste, I’d go with the M75’s and Greenbacks. Unfortunately you don’t have them in the same impedance. I have a cab with M75PVC and G12M25. Love it!!! Greenback tone is ma jam. Have em in a 212 but currently looking for a 412. Scumbacks on top, Greenies below.

I’ve never tried Golds but, FWIW, I would go Gold/Greenback. Call me crazy.

Last edited:

john l

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, you should have. That aside, I have done V30 and G12K100 cabs against a GT65 IR with interesting results (for me- i can also do 65/blackbacks but haven’t yet).

It’s Not the same as loading 2v2 in a 412 but probably better and more relevant than most of what you’ll get in this thread with that new qualifier you just added.
Yeah sorry for the confusion. I wasn't implying anything or trying to be little you . I edited my OP.
I bought a Two Rock 2x12 with a Gold and greenback mix, but was the WGS Invader version of a greenback. Was a nice mix, but I like the Gold alone better than the mix. If you're greenbacks are Celestion RIs, they will probably sound good, but you're still diluting the wonderful (and expensive) Gold vibe.

At one time or another, Ive owned all of those speakers except the Red Fang Alnico and G12T 75. I appreciate your review as I was considering a Gold Red Fang mix, and will pass on buying one.

Funny, I have a 16 ohm Gold and 8 ohm Scumback M75 too (my M75 is LD). Frustrating having different ohms and not being able to mix. Both excellent speakers. :messedup

Maybe you need to sell the 4x12 and get some 2x12s. :aok
Yeah the M75s are hands down the best sounding speaker Ive ever used in my life and there isn't an amp I own that they dont work just fine in. Thats what my daily driver 4x12 is loaded with. Kinda hoping too get a little diversity from the outcome of this project. Im not opposed to giving the gold/GB a shot I think lll have to try that one later. Thanks for the suggestion
If it were me, with my rig, and my taste, I’d go with the M75’s and Greenbacks. Unfortunately you don’t have them in the same impedance. I have a cab with M75PVC and G12M25. Love it!!! Greenback tone is ma jam. Have em in a 212 but currently looking for a 412. Scumbacks on top, Greenies below.

I’ve never tried Golds but, FWIW, I would go Gold/Greenback. Call me crazy.

Alight 2 recommendations for this in a row. Definitely batter on deck.

I just got done rigging this up. Ill definitely report back. I have high hopes

V-man

I think that’s a good start. The V30’s can be spiky and tiresome but the highly-acclaimed 65’s have some bothersome mids blanket (on the IR) i have a feeling the pairs might complement each other in the mids (that, or go like tuna fish and mustard)

john l

Silver Supporting Member
I think that’s a good start. The V30’s can be spiky and tiresome but the highly-acclaimed 65’s have some bothersome mids blanket (on the IR) i have a feeling the pairs might complement each other in the mids (that, or go like tuna fish and mustard)
Yeah thats kinda what Im thinking as well. I personally dont have a problem with V30s at all. When theyre good and broken in they sound great. I actually find 65s more finicky to use. They sound great with bright amps but they can get pretty wooly with anything else.

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
My favorite mix is the G12-65 and G12H-30 anni's. The G12-65/V30 is just too much mid punch. With your group Id go with the G12-65 and G12T-75's suggestion.

john l

Silver Supporting Member
Ok thanks guys! appreciate it. I wasn't able to really turn up with V30 & 65 set up today but tomorrow is wide open for playing with this. I have to say I liked it better then any of my previous parings at moderate volume and am pretty optimistic about it working well at volume.

So far my take away from messing with this is that when dealing with a big difference in efficiency the X pattern is a no no. Its always been better to go with X model on top and Y model on the bottom keeping the more efficient speakers on the bottom.

Im definitely going to play this whole thing through so even if I like this current set up Ill keep going and and try the other recommendations as well.

mcdyas

Gold Supporting Member
You did not have any Creamback M65s in your stable but they pair well with the V30 in a 4x12 or 2x12. M65 top, V30 bottom.

john l

Silver Supporting Member
You did not have any Creamback M65s in your stable but they pair well with the V30 in a 4x12 or 2x12. M65 top, V30 bottom.
Yeah I just have whats listed unfortunately. I only play 4x12s so Im bound determined to put something together with what Ive got. The rest are getting the axe lol

TP Parter

Hey fellas. I know a lot of people have luck mixing and matching speakers and while I dont generally get into this Ive ended up in the position where I have a few pairs laying around that Id like to combine in an Empty Rectifier 4x12. Would love to pick the forums brain about different combinations and just as importantly their locations in the 4x12. My goal here is to come up with a good combo and sell off the rest.

In 16 ohms I have the following pairs...
G1265s from the 80s
Uk Vintage 30s
Alnico Golds
Greenbacks
Red Fang Alnicos
G12T 75s

In 8 ohms I have pair
Scumback M75s
Uk Vintage 30w

So far Ive tried and didnt really dig....
GBs (top) and V30s (bottom) ala Friedman
V30s and T75s (X Pattern) ala Bogner Uberkab
Golds (top) and Fangs (bottom) that was just a bright mess.

EDIT ******THE ONLY THING I ASK IS THAT YOU PLEASE ONLY SUGEST THINGS YOUVE ACTUALLY TRIED******
Sensitivity wise and eq curve wise the 65's and T75's make the most sense. V30's need something warm and smooth with a more relaxed midrange and some solid lows like G12H(55hz)'s, G12H100's, or G12K100 from Celestion. EVM12L's also work well with them if you are more into modern metal tones, but be careful that combo can get cold and clinical sounding. Personally i have come to terms with my general distaste for V30's. For the same basic EQ curve and sensitivity imo V30 < Creamback 75 < Heritage G12H(75hz).

The GB's and T75's should also pair up well eq wise, but the GB's will be breaking up quite a bit before you get the 75's warmed up.

Sorry I can't be more help, but i have focused on and mostly stuck to high efficiency/high wattage drivers.

Editted: I was kinda tired and had been drinking, meant Heritage G12H(75hz) are close to V30's EQ wise.

Last edited:

M@tt C

Silver Supporting Member
OP, Just curious- what did you not like about the GB/ V30 mix?

john l

Silver Supporting Member
OP, Just curious- what did you not like about the GB/ V30 mix?
They really just didnt go together in a pleasing way (or pleasing to me anyway). I found I wanted to hear more of one or the other but not both and I love both of those speakers by themselves. If the greenbacks had a little more high end then it may have worked and thats why I think Im liking the 65s a lot more with the v30s.

gunslinger

I'm real happy with my Marshall 1960A cab with four G12T 75 speakers along with my Marshall TSL60 head.

Trending Topics