Lets hear it for small pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nibus, Feb 26, 2008.

1. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Recently I've really begun to appreciate small pedals. Its gotta be more work to build them small but in the end I would rather pay more for them. In fact, I really won't even consider purchasing pedals that are over-sized anymore - I just don't have space for them.

I wish that all builders would take this into account and where possible offer pedals in the small Timmy sized enclosures.

Anyone else come to the same conclusion?

2. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

I'm actually coming to prefer larger pedals - mostly because there is more room for artwork. :)

3. rewog

rewog Member

I like the small boxes.

:AOK

4. playon

playon Supporting Member

I prefer smaller pedals too, but unfortunately some of my favorites are large, (one of them is very large). But they get the sounds that others can't so I'm stuck with them taking up space. I also don't normally like a lot of knobs and switches, for gigs you usually want to set it and forget it.

But even small pedals can take up a lot of space on a board if they have jacks on the side instead of the bottom.

5. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

As a part-time builder, I can tell you that smaller pedals are beautiful when they're finished. BUT they can be a royal PITA to build! Sometimes it's like building a ship in a bottle. And my wirings aren't that intricate.

Alas, the results are worth it....

6. plunderpot

plunderpot Supporting Member

I definitely love the smaller pedals, and the jacks on top if possible. Mmmm - I was stoked about that with the Nova Delay. Even the mini Catalinbread pedals are fun.

I'd love to get a Deluxe Memory Man but I'd need to get another pedalboard...

It's wonderful that there are great options both big and small! :)

J

7. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

i actually prefer larger pedals.

not huge.
    but if they have a good control layout then its totally worth it.

something TRex size
    or the size of the holy grail and small clone etc

however much i love the SCOD size pedals i do find myself nudging the controls. (thats why he made the AE ;), after i bought them...)

8. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I like medium sized boxes but will make room for big things when they are the best there is.

9. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

There is something really compelling to me about small box pedals. Like you can always fit one more in, even if you have too many already! ;)

10. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

i like moog-sized pedals... with moog-style knobs... and moog wood side panels... and moog cv controls. :eek:

11. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

12. starfish

starfish Member

'It's not the size that counts, it's how you use it.' Finally! That sentence can be used instead of being an outright lie. :D

13. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

i hate to rain on this parade, but I don't like small pedals at all. Every time I step on one, I end up knocking my setting off whack, which is really frustrating!

Smallest I can handle are Ibanez/Boss type boxes and Barber Electronics sized boxes.

14. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Yeah, with jacks on top, Its not just the real estate, also they look very cool snugged up with each other.

15. Alter

Alter Member

i am perhaps the laziest person alive, when it comes to carrying gear. but when it comes to actually choosing boxes, i 'd say go for the best sounding ones, regardless of size. this being said, if a small box does it for me, i do prefer it..

16. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

some pedals come in more than one size :)

17. zeta55

zeta55 Member

Building a ship in a bottle, agreed.
    I also find it a problem to get some nice gaphics on them when building them small.
    Here's a some picture of my latest DIY builds, my goal was to keep them small.

The Pearl octaver clone, here I had to use surfacemounted IC:s, first guts:

[​IMG]

and the outside:

[​IMG]

The Dr.Boogey, fiting them 16mm posts was a pain. If ever build one again I'd shure be using those Alpha 12mm.

[​IMG]

And the guts:

[​IMG]

/Krister