Let's hear your steal of a deal stories!

DrewJD82

I REAAALLLLLLY Shoulda kept this one. Got it for 600 bucks, an original Jem FP from 1988 in the correct case. The guy just wasn't a good player, and was done with it. I flipped it for 1300 to buy a new computer.
They are fetching a mint, right now.

View attachment 570900

View attachment 570902

Trust me, I know. I’m a HUGE JEM fan and have moved a few of them over the years and regret it more than most other things I’ve taken the idiot route with. Really, any 80’s/90’s MIJ Ibanez, but JEMs in particular. I sold or traded two FP’s in the 90’s, one being so mint it still had the plastic on it.

DrewJD82

I walked into Sam Ash in ‘03 and saw a TC Electronics G-Force sitting in a rack for $500 and the tag said G-Major. G-Forces were still selling new for around $1200 and the one in the rack looked to be in mint condition. I told the salesman I wanted it and he had to get the sales manager to punch in a code to sell it to me. The manager looked down and said “Shiiiiiiiii…..this isn’t a G-Major….you know what? IDGAF. It’s your lucky day. Enjoy.”

Tele-Vision

Silver Supporting Member
Sure, they are just Squiers…but…

Top right: $50 with molded fender case. Still has plastic on back covers and the rounds on the tuning machines. All mahogany, carved top, set neck.

Bottom Left: $185 came with brand new Fender tolex case, SD Antiquity P90 in the neck, SD Broadcaster in the bridge, and set up perfectly.

44B5C7D8-25EC-4E55-A5DB-D02E9CADE014.jpeg

Both are great players. The Double Fat (blue Tele) sounds like crap clean, but great with OD and especially distortion.

edward

Silver Supporting Member
I've had the very good fortune of finding great deals here and there, many off this board from you fine folks!

But scoring that one killer deal in these decades of playing... I was perusing GC's "used" site and found a Yamaha DXR15 speaker for $99. What?! Gotta be thrashed, right? I called and asked the sales guy in the PA dept (very nice and helpful, btw) to put eyes on it and he said it looked perfectly fine (and quipped that it was definitely my lucky day). I pulled the trigger immediately and when I received it I was gobsmacked: perfect! Plugged it into my PA ...perfect! A DXR15 shipped to me for maybe a buck fifty ...yeah, that was a very good day! Gigged with it a bunch since then ...amazing!

Edward

James Tyler Burning Water for $2,000
Kramer Nightswan $350
Peavey Wolfgang $350

Flipped the Kramer and Peavey, kept the James Tyler

Brian N

I just got another steal of a deal this past month, so thought I'd share. I purchased a strat neck on Reverb for a little project I've been working on. The guy shipped it the next day, and then somehow it just disappeared from the USPS system. Two weeks passed and it still hadn't moved. I let the seller know, but also told him I'm ok waiting.

The seller messaged me every week to check in, and I kept saying "meh, let's just wait another week". I've ordered well over 1,000 packages and never had one not show up, so I was fairly confident it would turn up eventually. After about a month, Reverb stepped in and just refunded me for the neck. The very neck day, the package reappeared in the system, and a week later I received it.

100% discount. Not a bad deal, I'd totally wait a month for that kind of discount. Thank Reverb and USPS.

Lately. $560 for a 2021 PRS S2 Standard cherry red.
20220326_113325.jpg

$800 shipped 2017 PRS S2 SC with a full set of fishman classic pickups.
20220226_083334.jpg

2021 g&l tribute commanche $360 shipped
20220422_105615.jpg

3940bigdaddy

Silver Supporting Member
I had a lot of good deals and trades over the years. Once I traded a SG for LP Standard. Somehow the other guy was gassing for an SG. First he offered me a JCM 800 and a USA Strat Deluxe for my SG. He had the Amp head covered with some pink fuzzy stuff ala ZZ Top. If not for that I would have taken the deal instead I traded for his LP Standard.
The most memorable one I had is when a guy in CL wanted to trade his Fulltone Clyde deluxe Wah for a Ernie Ball Wah Pedal and he was adamant only an Ernie Ball would do. So I called Best Buy (they were selling gears back then)if they had one on stock. They had one on stock for $50. I set up a meeting with the guy an hour later at his house. On the way there I stop at Best Buy to pickup my Wah. I almost messed up the deal because of time constraint I didn't have time to check the Wah that I just bought. He plug the Wah and strum his guitar and it pick up a Mexican Station. I almost died laughing. Luckily it was just a weak battery. Then he was having second thoughts. He was like " I got an American made Wah while you have an Indonesian one its not fair". I told him but my Indonesian Wah has the sound that you want. So we made the deal.

3940bigdaddy

Silver Supporting Member
Way back then I was still guitar Noob. I was in GC and I saw a USA Parker NiteFly for $400. So plugged it and started playing but every time I flipped the switch to the Acoustic pickups there was no sound coming out from the Amp so I brought it to the attention of the Sales Associate. So He checked the guitar and told me it was defective. That I could have it for $200 instead as long as I don't mind not using the Acoustic pickups. Little did I know that youre supposed to used a Stereo cable for it to work. A year or 2 later I traded that guitar back to GC for a $400 credit towards a $800 EVH Wolfgang Peavey.

ducker 1

The 2005 Les Paul Standard 5a top used (in my avi)for $1250 in perfect condition back in 2018.

Attachments

• les paul.png
    les paul.png
    458.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

m00n

Not me, but an old guy in my town died and he owned several expensive guitars, including custom shop Les Pauls, vintage Hummingbirds, and so on. His wife didn't know their value and sold them for $500 each. Whoever bought them was the luckiest guitarist alive.

NunoVanbamsteen

Tone Seeker
Silver Supporting Member
Trust me, I know. I’m a HUGE JEM fan and have moved a few of them over the years and regret it more than most other things I’ve taken the idiot route with. Really, any 80’s/90’s MIJ Ibanez, but JEMs in particular. I sold or traded two FP’s in the 90’s, one being so mint it still had the plastic on it.
You'll appreciate me flipping these two fellas, then...

:facepalm

Attachments

• DSCN8043 (1).JPG
    DSCN8043 (1).JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 11

DrewJD82

You'll appreciate me flipping these two fellas, then...

:facepalm

Ugh!!! I’d still love to get my hands on a 2027, or better yet, the less than likely RG7CST. I got to play an RG-ART at, actually, seeing you‘re a Treml-No guy as well, Kevan Geier’s house back in the day. I crashed there over night before I saw Dream Theater the next day and was like a kid in a candy store, jumping from J-Custom to J-Custom and repeatedly going back to the JEM10….and watching the prairie dogs do their thing.

NunoVanbamsteen

Tone Seeker
Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, Kevan's ART was the inspiration for finding this one, I pined for that guita so much, then when I got it, the tone was SOOOO bright, I decided to let it go. I really, really shoulda kept that one. it played like melted butter, it was so smooth and comfy. I shold've just changed pickups.

DrewJD82

Yeah, Kevan's ART was the inspiration for finding this one, I pined for that guita so much, then when I got it, the tone was SOOOO bright, I decided to let it go. I really, really shoulda kept that one. it played like melted butter, it was so smooth and comfy. I shold've just changed pickups.

Hahahah much like Kevan’s search for the RG-EGYPT! Spent years pining for it and once he got it I think he sold the majority of the J-Customs off, including the EGYPT.

Beautiful guitars though. I mostly played the ART and the other one that had the laser cuts across the top, I think the RG-GEAR?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom