Lets here them...your favorite Vintage Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FXMonkey, May 25, 2008.

1. FXMonkey

FXMonkey Member

I've tried out a lot of pedals over the last several years, but never any vintage pedals. Just trying to see what is out there and if there are any that must be tried. It can be anything OD, delay, chorus..whatever... lets hear it.

***What's the one vintage pedal that you would never part with b/c you haven't found anything that beats it?

Thanks

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I don't own any pedals (I don't think) that are considered vintage, but have played a bunch and my good friend has a bunch that I get to use whenever...

That said, here are some vintage pieces I don't think can be beaten:

Ibanez AD-80 analog delay (okay, I've got this one, but I don't know if early 80's is vintage now...). There's nothing out there like this delay, IMO. It has this beautiful quirky/warm analog sound to it that nothing else has. Perfect short-medium time delay. I love it.

Big Muff- Nothing beats the first and second issue BM's for me. They're just soooo 'wall of sound' sounding and thick and juicy I love it. I've played many, but never pulled the trigger, as I'm afraid of them crapping out.

Whammy 1- Sounds margins better than the current production one, IMO. I've got a current production model and played my friends and it was night and day, IMO. Just something about it...

Boss CE-1- I've had a few chorus pedals, but nothing beats the original CE-1, IMO. Another pedal I've lusted after for a long time, but due to fear of it breaking down (which I know it won't- great build quality) I haven't gotten one yet.

There are MANY others, but I don't wanna' write a novella here! lol

For the most part, it's just the reliability I'm worried about and that prohibits me from pulling the trigger on vintage pieces. I LOVE them when I play them, I just can't seem to do it... That said, I'm working on some vintage fuzz pedals and another AD-80 and a CE-1, etc...

Cool thread!

3. monk

monk Member

My Digitech WH-1. It´s retired because I´m afraid it might get stolen. I´m using a WH-2 live. Close but not as good as the original. WH-4 is a joke.

4. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

My mid-70's EH Small Stone - I have been through most of the "boutique" phasers - and while many of them were great units (especially the Shannon Phaser, Retro Sonic Phaser, Red Witch Moon Phaser, and the Toneworks Nebula) none of them quite matched the mojo of my Small Stone. I will never sell it because it is trashed looking and isn't worth much money to sell, and because nothing I have found can whup it!

5. LarryN

LarryN Member

DOD Mini Chorus. I've had it for 30 years and still use it for a definite unique ambience or pseudo organ textures.

6. monk

monk Member

You´re right. I´ve had two EH Small Stone phasers from -77. I still like my Retro-Sonic but I miss the deep phase of my EH.

7. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

I still love my old Yellow DOD 250 Overdrive Preamp. I haven't stock piled too many vintage pedals over the years but I've never been able to part with this one. It's noisy as heck, but I still love it.

8. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Boss Dimension-C. Bought it over 20 years ago, and have been using it subtly ever since. A great 'magic dust' pedal.

9. gregory49

gregory49 Member

EP3 and any old 60's crybabies or vox's

10. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Anything made by MU-TRON is unique-sounding and retro-looking, and has not been duplicated, IMO.

11. silverface63

silverface63 Member

The Mu-Tron III is the last vintage pedal remaining on my board. I really don't think I could part with it. It's married to my Octron II.

12. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

My vintages pedals were traded/sold long ago but if I could have only one of them back, it would be the Ross Compressor. I bought it brand new back in the 70's - little did I realize what a gem it was...

13. gururyan

gururyan Member

vintage MXR DynaComp - It's been my comp forever. The Diamond and Keeley had very short visits on the board for fun but took the walk of shame. My old DC IS compression to me.

vintage MXR Phase 45, 90, 100 - I foolishly sold my 45 & 100 years ago to feed the GAS monster. The 90 is still with me, but I frequently have seller's remorse over the other two...particularly the 45.

vintage MXR Envelope Filter - I've had well over a dozen envelopes spanning the entire spectrum, the vintage MXR is just perfect. It proudly sits on it's permanent spot on my board.

vintage MXR D+ - My first pedal, love it. It's not only distortion but can also give a nice fuzz tone.

14. Scottone

Scottone Supporting Member

Big +1 on these two. A few years ago, I was able to score an original CE-1 at a pawn shop (Canadians may remember the Cash Converter chain) for $75.00. Mint condition with the original box, and instructions....the protective plastic was still on the knobs.

I eventually sold it on eBay to a collector for a pretty high price, but in hindsight, I should have held on to it.

15. FXMonkey

FXMonkey Member

Thanks for the great info/suggestions guys ....it's always nice to learn about pedals

16. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

My TS-10 original is so sweet! However, my new Jersey Girl is even sweeter!

Mike

17. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

18. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

My long dash silver screw CE-2, best chorus I've ever heard.

19. jcs

jcs Member

my;

smallbox rat (with clip mod)
    boss ce2 chorus
    vox cry baby-made in italy for thomas organ model 95-910511
    marshall bluesbreaker 1st issue black box version
    yamaha dds-20m digital delay sampler (okay its digital but extreme long delays etc)
    ross phaser

20. teleman55

teleman55 Member

I've got an old CE-2 chorus. Best chorus pedal around. Got it new in 1980 and it's stuck around. Used it today for 7 hours. Built like a tank. Originally was a silver screw but that got lost so then it became a hardware store screw, Then I got a black screw from Boss but it sounds the same as when it was a silver screw. I've got two old DOD pedals that are real nice. Ones a fuzz and theother is a FX 65 chorus.