Let's not squeeze our own community for "deals"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Bossanova, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

With people struggling to make rent and cover bills during the pandemic, I've been hearing of lots of folks aggressively being lowballed out there.

I'm lucky not to be having to sell anything right now, but remember that you're dealing with lots of businesses and families in need. It's one thing to try to get a nice deal, but it's another to be predatory.

2. DGA

DGA Supporting Member

We’re already planning to exploit the local real estate market after the fallout. I doubt you are going to people to worry about solidarity for little things, like guitars.

3. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Yep - I'm seeing it on my Reverb and Craigslist postings. I'm very fortunate in that I don't have to sell anything right now, but I feel for those of us who do. Definitely some questionable morals out there . . .

David MacNeill, PBGas and Steadfastly like this.
  4. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Double edged sword. Gonna ask someone who never dreamed they could ever afford a $2000 guitar see it come down to $1,700 and offer $1,500 because that is their real limit?

I need to get rid of gear (we're talking stuff valued at $1000 or lower. Okay maybe one $1000 thing and 2 $450 to $500 things :D. And have no need or desire to buy, so I'm philosophically on your side, but I'm a realist too.

5. Bossanova

definitely not. i'm not trying to be the deal police, either.

I'm saying let's all think about it before trying to squeeze every last cent out of someone for sport. these people are out there. usually same guy who brags he got a $0.50c discount on knick-knack while on vacation in jamaica...

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  6. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Ok, I won’t.

derekd, Alb1441, FiestaRed and 4 others like this.
  7. misterg71

misterg71 The premier Hack Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I sold a Les Paul this weekend, but not because I had to. I did wind up taking a little bit less than I wanted too. I’m looking at not just the virus, but also the down economy. Seeing as the market over is saturated with gear already, I was ok with the selling price.

Bonhoeffer likes this.
  8. Bossanova

good. proceed.

8nthatK likes this.
  9. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

Lots of crap that perpetually resides on Reverb and Craigslist is WAY over-priced. So during times like these you're more likely to get something for what it's actually worth rather than whatever insane price a seller might typically be asking.

Sure the greedy low-balling sharks out there, slithering around with no empathy and care for a seller's personal situation. But it's always been that way, they've always been there.....there's just more chum in the water now, so it appears worse.

10. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

If someone needs $1000.00 and could normally get $2000.00 but you have the $1000.00 and no more and they need the money now, then it's a win, win for both. The one thing you could do is tell them when/if things get better you'll come back and throw in a few more hundred.

Lt Dak, Billy Van Beck and DGA like this.
  11. GibsonGeek

GibsonGeek Member

The real scumbags just post an add for buying gear. Sort of a catch-all for the desperate. “I pay better than what a pawn shop will pay”. No, he doesn’t.

EL34, JMP99 and NortheastHick like this.
  12. Sweat

Sweat Silver Supporting Member

Yes this is sad, I am selling a few things not out of necessity but too much stuff and reorganizing my room.

If I get a low ball offer I just ignore it.

Batch and Bonhoeffer like this.
  13. svl

svl Member

This. You can always say no.

14. Gig Young

Gig Young It's not about the clown Silver Supporting Member

I have just too much empathy to do that

...yea that's right. empathy

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    candid_x, hobbes1 and FiestaRed like this.
  15. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

my buy/sell philosophy is the same - it's just that my situation/future is a bit trickier these days, so i'm sitting it out for a while until the picture clears up (i hope)...greedy weasel bastrds were greedy weasel bastrds 2 months ago

16. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Right, I did that last week when some douchebag from NYC offered me $150 for the $300 MIJ drumset I have for sale. I told him to take a hike. He was so brazen, that he said, "Plenty of used sets out there. I'll just find someone who's desperate to sell."

17. racecarracecar

racecarracecar Member

Takes 2 to tango. If the seller does not like the offer. They can always say "no."

Srdjr, Lt Dak, musicman1 and 11 others like this.
  18. Bossanova

You should have suggested he go look on a local cruise ship for extra special savings.

DrumBob likes this.
  19. Bossanova

Except when they can’t.

20. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

Not condoning it, and it's a gear logjam out there right now. I'd expect to hear typical negotiation on listings, but if someone's in need, they might mention that and empathetic users may actually decide that helping someone out leads to a purchase.
    In the past, I've bought fair-priced emporium gear on impulse because someone needed $ for a family member's medical bills and another where the entire proceeds were going to charity. Empathy works both ways, but times are gonna get tougher and there will be a surge of distress selling resulting in a new valuation for used 'anything'. There will always be give and take which takes place, but Karma is in effect so your call.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020