Let's see some nice Archtop Guitars !

chappy

Gold Supporting Member
Beautiful, definitely lost twins here. You're L5 sig is awesome as well. Did you buy a wood bridge for your ES-5 or did it come like that? I've tried to find a wood bridge that's correctly compensated for a plain 3rd but have not come across one yet.

59burst said:
chappy -

I have the sibling - mine has P90s instead of alnicos. (The photo was taken with flash, so it looks double stained, but it's not - it has a lot of action and depth in natural light.)

59burst

Platinum Supporting Member
chappy said:
Beautiful, definitely lost twins here. You're L5 sig is awesome as well. Did you buy a wood bridge for your ES-5 or did it come like that? I've tried to find a wood bridge that's correctly compensated for a plain 3rd but have not come across one yet.
The ES-5 originally came with a tune-o-matic bridge, but that was replaced by a previous owner (a GP'er!) with the rosewood bridge. The Gibson P90 pickups were also replaced with Fralin underwound P90s. The intonation seems fine to me. I typically run TI .012 roundwounds on it.

Alainlafrance

There were two models: the Silver and the Gold, differences being purely cosmetic: bindings, plating..)
It's an all Brazilian Rosewood guitar; 160 (Silver+Gold) have been made during its short life -1969/1972-
It's main problem is the floating mini humbuckers ( no bass) and the neck to body joint at the 16th fret -just like the 330-ES-.

It has been the main guitar of Elvis Presley's rythm guitarist John Wilkinson who changed a mini humbucker for a real one (neck IIRC)

Crumblebum

Hi Alain,

No, it's just the fixing. It's not the original tailpiece or bridge. The guitar saw plenty of action during the late 50's early 60's and was 'retired' when I moved 'up' to a Futurama!! I had the REX refurbed about 5 years ago. It's exactly the same as the guitar that Paul McCartney first learned to play on. That one was recently auctioned for £330,000.

Alainlafrance

Crumblebum said:
Hi Alain,

No, it's just the fixing. It's not the original tailpiece or bridge. The guitar saw plenty of action during the late 50's early 60's and was 'retired' when I moved 'up' to a Futurama!! I had the REX refurbed about 5 years ago. It's exactly the same as the guitar that Paul McCartney first learned to play on. That one was recently auctioned for £330,000.
Ah the Czech Futurama, Selmer in Uk ? My dream guitar in late 50's.
You can try to sell it to the London Hard Rock Cafe which is specialized :AOK

Crumblebum

Alainlafrance said:
Ah the Czech Futurama, Selmer in Uk ? My dream guitar in late 50's.
You can try to sell it to the London Hard Rock Cafe which is specialized :AOK
Or swap it for one of these 'Blackies'!

bizzwriter

Silver Supporting Member
Alainlafrance said:
Opps.. forgot that Fender Coronado II (2 f holes means archtop, no ?)
Alain: How does the sound of the Coronado pickups compare to the single coil d'armonds on your Guild/Gretsch guitars? Thanks!

Trending Topics