Let's see those "back in the day" photos!

mikey

1983 with my first 'good' guitar. A Vantage Avenger.

Me.jpg

Cool! My first guitar was an Avenger as well, pretty sure I got it in '83. I don't have the original anymore but I picked up a twin to it on ebay a few years ago. ...Mine was natural with a single hum.

BenoA

Cool! My first guitar was an Avenger as well, pretty sure I got it in '83. I don't have the original anymore but I picked up a twin to it on ebay a few years ago. ...Mine was natural with a single hum.

Same here!!! "natural with a single hum" too!!! Do you have any pics to share of that guitar?

butnut

One of my first gigs....back in mid 1970's...my first Fender, $100 Mustang.
highway1970s.jpg

and last months gig...hehe, am I playing the same damn chord? LOL:D
hardrockj.jpg

DGDGBD

Silver Supporting Member
Can you tell us a little about the strat? Was it a nice one?
It was an E series with locking trem system - played very well, but I prefer the tradition six point trem. You can see that i removed the locking mechanism from the nut. I bought it from one of the shops on 48th st in NYC for like $350. Sold it in the 90s to a guy I worked with.

Bob Womack

1978 with '50s band Diamond Dan and the Cut Gems

ddboblp.jpg

ddallsm.jpg

Dig the Addidas Rom. The bassist used a Fender PS300 for the lows and an SVT for the highs. 3x18" and a single 4x10" box for the highs. I was running a stock '74 Les Paul small-script Standard through a '65 Gibson GA-55RVT Ranger with an external 2x12 cut down from a Hammond tone cabinet. Also dig the blackface Princeton Reverb for backup. I've still got the cab and the guitar.

Bob

FFTT

Warren Zevon anyone?

Actually, people told me all the time that I looked like a spitting image
of Greg Hawkes from The Cars.

Roxanne, my old high school friend was a professional Hollywood film & casting image consultant & hairdresser.

She came up with this look as something super practical that I could refresh
quickly between sets with a hand towel.

Back then I was also scrawny enough to wear 31 waist trousers and no shirt!

The rest of the band soon followed with the greatest improved image impact on Mike the guitarist with the long hair, bangs and beard going to a short layered cut keeping the beard.

I wish I had before & after pix.
Roxanne took him to more of a short hair Pete Townshend with a beard look
wearing a white jump suite with NASA logos.

Last edited:

FFTT

We finally had a slick polished act and wanted to look the part.
In our late 20's early 30's the garage band look, or the glam rock look was too far in either direction. We kinda wanted to outclass the joint just a bit where ever we went.

More avante guard I suppose.
The ladies seemed to appreciate how we cleaned up. :)

deanmass

Some of you with no scanner...iPhone/droid cams work great as"scanners" in a pinch..

Great thread. Digging out mine tomorrow.

Ascension

1987 playing an Aria Pro II Urchin
119AA9A0.jpg

Same band 1989 playing a Gibson showcase U2
5AAA6042.jpg

1990 with the U2 again
scan0001.jpg

1994 Playing a Carvin DC 200
scan0002.jpg

Playing a 1990 Carvin Ultra V at the Southeastern Carvin bash 2005
richard.jpg

Wailing on a Carvin bolt Playing with David Jones 2006
IM000298.jpg

Playing a 1990 Carvin X220C 2010
DSC01297.jpg

Playing "pinky" September 15 2012 Kelly Ingram Park Birmingham on the 49th anniversary of the 16th street Church bombing for Redigging the Wells.
DSCN0204.jpg

JDW3

1978 with '50s band Diamond Dan and the Cut Gems

ddboblp.jpg

ddallsm.jpg

Dig the Addidas Rom. The bassist used a Fender PS300 for the lows and an SVT for the highs. 3x18" and a single 4x10" box for the highs. I was running a stock '74 Les Paul small-script Standard through a '65 Gibson GA-55RVT Ranger with an external 2x12 cut down from a Hammond tone cabinet. Also dig the blackface Princeton Reverb for backup. I've still got the cab and the guitar.

Bob

Were the rolled up cuffs stock?

mr. moon

Fun stuff!!

First show I ever played in front of people other than friends, with my band that was named "Viper" "Warlock" "Fallen Angel" or some crap like that. I am the guitarist, stage left, sporting the taped Lotus running through a Peavey head into a Sonic 6x12 cabinet. I even have a recording of the gig!!

full

Trending Topics

Top Bottom