• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Let's See Your Bass Amps!!

LarryNJ

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of _Production/Buster_Bass_200/buster_bass_200.html

Mesa only built the BUSTER series for a few years-
IMO -everything RIGHT with tone, but not practical -
An all-tube combo is heavy and cumbersome, and bass gear was just starting to become "downsized" around that time.
However, the output and presence from (6) 6lGC6's- pretty outstanding.
My 210 Wedge is awesome as a standalone, and gets even more headroom and depth when I use it with a Diesel 15.

JAGUAR's Henry is a bass player himself who designed his one boutique amp entry into Bass Amplification around the BlueLine SVT's, and his Model 200 has a character all of it's own.
(4) KT-88's...

C'mon!

theecricket

JAGUAR's Henry is a bass player himself who designed his one boutique amp entry into Bass Amplification around the BlueLine SVT's, and his Model 200 has a character all of it's own.
(4) KT-88's...
C'mon!
Those look just amazingly cool. It has different controls than my Electric but both are HOT 4 KT88 amps. I'd love to check out a Jaguar in person!

Damn! That is suuuuweeeeet! 400 doesn't stand for wattage though does it? I don't believe 6 KT88's can pump out 400 watts, more like 270 max right? It's like my Mesa 400+ with all 12 6L6's it can only realistically do about 360 max with the right tube brand. Is my thinking right? I am seriously no technician.

My current amps; 1964.... meet 2010,

So cool seeing those two sitting next to each other.

Laced Senses

theecricket said:
Damn! That is suuuuweeeeet! 400 doesn't stand for wattage though does it? I don't believe 6 KT88's can pump out 400 watts, more like 270 max right? It's like my Mesa 400+ with all 12 6L6's it can only realistically do about 360 max with the right tube brand. Is my thinking right? I am seriously no technician.
According to the old Hiwatt catalogs, it has 400 clean watts RMS and 1000 watts max when cranked at 4 ohms. As loud as it when turned up a bit, I believe it. Amp is great for guitar but more practical for bass.

Alvis

According to the old Hiwatt catalogs, it has 400 clean watts RMS and 1000 watts max when cranked at 4 ohms. As loud as it when turned up a bit, I believe it. Amp is great for guitar but more practical for bass.
WoW! I imagine that rig could be used to power Florida's electric chair as well......

Alvis

Okay I give up...whatizzit? I have aN Ampeg-nut friend always talking about the "holy grail" Ampeg V-9. That's not one, is it?

Favorite analogy for this week: "boring , like a Stratocaster"

No ,not a V-9, I wish
It's a mid 70s solid state V-6B.Couple hundred watts.Got it pawn shoppin a couple weeks ago for 170 bucks.Very fat sounding amp ,someting about older solid state amps for bass .....fat
Rumbles through my SVT cab quite well!

LarryNJ

The Buster was also available as a head. Far more practical than the combos.
True, it was available as a head-at about 45 lbs. a little easier to carry around compared to either the 15 or 210 combos at 100+ and 95 lbs. respectively.

However- The 210 Wedge is loaded with EVM Basis drivers that are an excellent match for the all-tube preamp/ power section output of the Buster-something about how it all combines sonically- Very tight, focused, and PHAT as possible- Superb bass definition once you got dialed in on how the eq interacts.

I tried the head version with a number of cabs, including Mesa's at the time, and nothing sounded near as good to me as the 210 combo did...and still does.

I've had the Buster for several years now; and I'm very likely to get lazy and take a Neo-loaded cab like my Genz Neox 210 at 40 lbs with a TecAmp Puma 500 that weighs about 6 lbs; or even my heavier but easy-to-roll Mesa PH212 with a LMII to work-

Loading in/out with that 95-lb Buster wedge is a major PITA, even with the inline wheels, but when it comes to tone-
No comparisons to the Buster Combo from SMPS or Class D or anything else. IMO.

A lot of guitarists like the Buster head version...:sarcasm

Sweet! Show me the Tubage! Beautiful amp!

Ahhhhh. From what I'm seeing it's like the old amps that would put out 400 watts if you plugged in the appropriate speakers... Cool ass specimen for sure!
That's not mine- I had a 300PS for a short period- OT was shot. That ****er still weighed well over 60 pounds.

For my Stones tribute band the chrome grilles on the SWR cabs are a bit too bling, so I bought some Ampeg cloth and made up removable panels using some 3mm hardwood sheet, attached with tiny pieces of velcro. Sorry for the poor quality mobile phone photos, but I hope you get the idea.

LarryNJ

Nice work.
Looks a lot like the 'Peg Classic Cabs....

Bet that V4BH is working out pretty nicely, too!:dude

FFTT

Reeves Custom 225 through my '73 Ampeg SVT 8X10
with CTS AlNiCos.

Honestly, I've never been so happy with my tones.

mainsale

Here's my '67 B-15-N with two brand new Blue LEDs. Me likey! I'll take another one without the camera shake and replace this bad pic.

Last edited:

jamzcl

The middle amp/preamp has become this:

...and a driver shot :D

All shown:
SVT-450H amp head
SVT-610HLF cab
SVP-PRO preamp
SVT-808HE cab
BA-500 combo
(all Ampegs US made)
Crown XLS 602D power amp
ART SP4x4 power conditioner (replaced Alesis)

Last edited:

Trending Topics