Let's See your Fancy Wood!

How about it? If fancy wood is the same price as plain wood...

• I love it! I can sit and stare at it for hours!

Votes: 118 78.1%
  • I hate it! Pretentious showing off!

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • I like pretty wood - but not on my guitars

Votes: 29 19.2%

• Total voters

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
I don't get the attitude I see among some folks that seem to hate figured wood. Now that builders are sourcing lots of flamed and quilted maple for those gorgeous and luscious - I wanna roll around in that chatoyance field of wonder wood grain - why not enjoy a pretty top? Here's some of mine - let's see yours!
View media item 19746View media item 19741View media item 19749View media item 17455View media item 19736View media item 19744View media item 19756View media item 19754View media item 19757View media item 32298View media item 48935View media item 47290

-CM-

Something Clever Here
Gold Supporting Member
index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

P1010002_zpsacjpfqad.jpg

P1010003_zpsz3pbfklm.jpg

melancon-1789_6__zpsd9axxqph.jpg

omv10kwoodrow_zpsr9s5smre.jpg

Last edited:

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
I hate to be that guy right off, but overly fancy wood isn't my idea of something special and I absolutely abhor quilted anything.

Ha, then you are really gonna abhor the first (figured mahogany) and last one (bicolored quilted maple...possibly done by water? This is a clear coat) :p When Mother Nature makes such beauty, I definitely think it should be appreciated (just like looking at a beautiful woman...Mother Nature's goodness for our eyes ;)

Actually, you probably shouldn't look...:eek:

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
While I don't like or dislike figured wood...every once in a while I'll see a guitar with figured wood that I feel is stunning. But, while it's mostly about the tone & feel for me, eye candy doesn't hurt if it all comes together in one guitar...which it seldom does ;).

However, my homebrew Tele is probably the fanciest hunk of wood in my harem:
exdpgufLj

Last edited:

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
I also am not "wow'd" by flame or quilt at all, it looks a bit tacky. I cant stand quilt tbh.
But I do have two guitars with deep flame. They are both sensational sounding and playing guitars. It was hard to buy them, I wanted something more plain but nothing else stood out during the time I was looking.

Man you and @Flyin' Brian probably really dislike peacock feathers and nice sunsets too :p

Trending Topics

Top Bottom