Let's see your live FRFR videos!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by dbagchee, Aug 15, 2016.

1. dbagchee

dbagchee Supporting Member

Inspired by @victim5150's killer live videos, please share any live footage you have of you using your FRFR setup - I'd love to see more "on stage" footage with your CLR/Friedman/Alto etc!

Hearing this stuff in the mix really inspires me to keep trying full FRFR (I still run into power amp/cab or just amp + FX live) and I'd love to see more of it showcased, bring it on!

2. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Hmmmm. If the video is taken from the audience, won't you just be hearing the PA mains? (Unless you use a modeler and don't run it through the PA --- I would think that would be an unusual situation).

dbagchee and SkyhighRocks like this.
  3. 3dognate

3dognate Member

Most FRFR is for personal monitoring and not used as back line amplification... you'll not find many examples of what you are after

dbagchee and MrLahey like this.
  4. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

I use mine as my back line, but I don't have any videos good enough to post.

dbagchee likes this.
  5. dbagchee

Valid points - I'd be happy to see your videos with FRFR coming out the mains too.

I play a lot of tiny venues - dive bars, 100-200 capacity clubs etc - 80% of the time I don't get my guitars in the mains (does everyone here play huge clubs/arenas?) That said, I'd still love to see more live videos with modelers.

6. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

That's my use case as well.

dbagchee likes this.
  7. 3dognate

3dognate Member

I mostly play small clubs too... 200 concurrent patrons is a good night most joints. By keeping my stage volume effectively zero or at least just for me... I always have my guitar in the mains... ain't nobody gonna hear me otherwise. (See what I'm doing there. Putting FOH first instead of my own personal experience... ;) )

Bishop5150, MrLahey and dbagchee like this.
  8. rocketboss

rocketboss Supporting Member

Here's a fairly recent clip of my FRFR live.

Atomic AmpliFire, Eventide H9 in the loop controlled with a Boss FV-500L, BBE Ben Wah, EP Booster and a Fuzz in front. Not the best footage, but my Atomic CLR is pointed right at my head. It's located directly under the guy shooting the video. It's pointed away from him, but it's "LOUD" ! The guitar tone you hear is what he's picking up with the camera's mic (iPhone 6 plus) from the CLR. The EV monitor is our keyboard players. He's located behind me, to my left.
    And the best thing is, it sounds nearly exactly the same through the front of house from stage to stage, night after night!

Phnurt, Mandrax, Jdstrat and 14 others like this.
  9. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Yeah, me too. If you've got a PA, and a device (modeler) that's designed to very easily send a signal directly to it, why wouldn't you run guitar through it to optimize your band's sound to the entire audience? Heck, even when I used an amp, I mic'd it at just about every gig - certainly at every gig at which we had a soundman.

dbagchee and 3dognate like this.
  10. dbagchee

Yes! This is exactly what I'm talking about! Sound great man, I'd love to try out a CLR at some point.

11. dbagchee

Believe me, I relish the opportunity to run my stuff into the monitors when I can - I'm the singer too so I'm stoked if I can hear my own vocals let alone anything else. Many times I need to turn up just so the drummer can hear me but otherwise I'm very conscious of our stage volume. My Mark V:25 has a nice direct out too so I use that when possible.

3dognate likes this.
  12. rocketboss

The CLR is an amazing piece of gear! It, along with AmpliFire, an H9, a two guitar gig bag, make for an extremely compact and powerful rig. Through in a Variax and the options really start to multiply!

He's another clip that captures the front of house tones.

13. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Member

Freaking awesome man.

14. Weegie

Weegie Member

Is the Boss just used to bring the H9 in and out of the loop? H9 always "on" that way? Thanks

15. rocketboss

The Boss is the expression pedal used for the H9. I'm currently using 6 patches for verbs, delays, phaser, harmonizer, etc. The H9 is an amazing tool and the expression pedal literally turns it into a musical instrument! So much you can do with the expression option and its plug and play. Just a TRS cable and it works. Bluetooth patch building with my iPhone, iPad or Macbook. The simplest editor I've ever used, I absolutely love it!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  16. Weegie

Weegie Member

What amp model are you using in that first video? Sounded very good. I'll have to look at the H9 again. I kind of wrote it off due to only being able to do one FX at a time.

17. zentman

zentman Member

18. rocketboss

Michael Britt's Champ patch #2. Which is a Deluxe, boosted with the Tube Screamer.

If you don't have Michael's AmpliFire Pack your missing out, total game changer! I tweak them a bit, but try to leave the amp EQ and compressor settings alone, because they set so well in a live mix and the compressor just makes it feel right!
    The H9 is pure quality, thats what you get for the coin! I have two H9's but don't feel the need to add the second to my board. I gig a lot and want to keep the board compact and powerful. I'm currently running the H9 with the pre/post wiring configuration. Works great!

Weegie likes this.