Let's Start an Xits Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thrustmag, Dec 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. thrustmag

thrustmag Supporting Member

2. thrustmag

3. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I love the grill cloth! Anybody know where it can be aquired? Not to mention the tolex?

4. antbosca

antbosca Member

Could be, but I ordered my first Xits amp direct from Mike and I talked to him on the phone a lot. (Partly because even then, before all the Fat Sound hoopla, it took months to get anything from him.) Mike was always super nice and totally passionate about music and gear of all kinds. He’s a very interesting cat who created some unique designs. But his life was definitely somewhat chaotic during that time. I know he was going through some personal stuff, in addition to being under incredible pressure due to all the attention his amps started getting. So I didn’t have a hard time believing he had an accident in his shop.

michael.e likes this.
  5. antbosca

antbosca Member

It’s from a company called Chillewich. They make placemats and stuff - it isn’t designed for guitar amps, though it works really well for them.

6. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

What a saga. I had an X10. Seemed to check lots of boxes. Portable combo. Vox chime. Reference on his site to Paul Weller. So I jumped on the nice price via fat sound. Tone was underwhelming. Buzzed and fizzed and swapped the 84s with no improvement. Sold it here quickly as the hype wave was huge. Then it all crashed. Pathetic.

7. antbosca

antbosca Member

They were an internet sensation a few years ago, then the company disappeared.

I bought one, sold it, then bought another one of the same model, the X10.

That’s the only model I have any direct experience with. There’s a Premier Guitar review of it that gives a very accurate description of the amp.

What makes it cool?

- Great design. A totally unique, laboriously crafted look. Mike (builder Michael Koski) really obsessed over details and had his own vision.

- Unique sound. They’re from an AC-15 type heritage, but really different than anything else out there.

- Great build quality. The wiring is gorgeous. Good craftsmanship all around.

- Very dynamic, if you play with enough dynamics to make the most it. There’s a lot of gain there, though, so you have to play pretty light to stay on the cleaner side. You can also reduce gain by turning UP the treble. (??!!)

- There is a LOT of bass and a LOT OF high end. And the bass is not punchy, it’s more growly. Or some might say woofy, but it can be a cool sound. Again, a truly different flavor.

- The X10 does have something kinda magic about it. It feels alive. When you play light it can sound deliciously ethereal. When it is raging it’s one of the angriest amps I’ve ever heard, but in a totally different mode than a Marshall or any Boogie-type metal amp. In between there’s a broad range of really rich, 3-dimensional drive and drivish sounds.

Some things that are maybe not so cool, but are just part of the weirdo left-field vibe of this thing:

- The controls are NOT intuitive. Again, the treble affects the gain drastically, reducing gain as you turn it up. I generally have the bass control near zero. The sweep of the volume knob goes from barely audible to near max almost immediately. It changes the feel of the amp a little as you turn it up from there, but it is not effective as a master volume. I have a Dr. Z Brakelight in the back of mine.

- They can be very noisy. Plug in a tele bridge pup or a P90 and add a little RF interference and...wow. Am I having my teeth drilled?

I don’t use mine live, it’s just too odd to try to dial in. But I don’t think I’ll ever sell it either.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  8. michael.e

MikeJ45 likes this.
  9. thrustmag

MikeJ45 likes this.
  10. thrustmag

@effectsman Xits made Vox style amps - great chime and crunch. Build quality absolutely amazing. Think hi-fi build quality from Mcintosh or Valve Amp Company.

MikeJ45 likes this.
  11. rustolium

rustolium Member

So weird to see this thread pop up. I just pulled out my Piper X30 for some stuff. I also have an X50. I'll say, if you ever see me selling one of these things, buy it. They are nuts. AC style circuit on the edge of exploding. Seriously, unique and fun as hell. As others have said, super quirky and you have to understand Michael's little symbols and crap, but that is part of the journey. I dare anyone to come play thru these things and not smile a lot!

All drama aside, I was early in before folks got really hit by what ever happened, but Michael was a good guy and had a great sense of building something old but new. His amps are the only ones I might be able to put in the great room of the house they look so good. Don't let that fool you though, the ones I have are ruthless with harmonic sexiness oozing out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

michael.e, thrustmag and MikeJ45 like this.
  12. thrustmag

@rustolium Is the X50 the brown one and the X30 the teal one? Alnicos in the cabs?

13. rustolium

rustolium Member

X30 = Brown
    X50 = Blue

ASW Elegante Alnicos in all the cabs. 2 1X12s, and 2 2X12s.

I originally only had a 1X12 in brown with the X30 and it sounded so good I wanted a Blue 1X12 and found one used. Unfortunately, the grill cloth was a slightly different blue. Oh well, it works. I always have to put my OCD to the side with that one.

14. thrustmag

15. michael.e

16. michael.e

17. michael.e

@rustolium What serial is your X50?

18. rustolium

rustolium Member

Its a bit hard to read:
    S# - X5000308
    dob - 10-29-08

The 8 could be a 3, no telling as it's hand written. It was a bit of an interesting adventure. I had to send it back originally because it did not sound like the prototype I had played. Some components where not to original spec, but all was resolved.