1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Let's start another buffer thread!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teddy boy, Jan 28, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

I'm confused! I've got quite a few pedals on my board now and I'm beginning to wonder if I need a buffer to keep my signal strong. I already have a Boss TU-2 that has a buffer. Will that be enough for 8 other pedals and around 10 meters of cable?

I also have the option of a second buffer. My Voodoo-Vibe Jr. has both buffered and true bypass outputs. Actually it has two buffered outputs (!?!) and a true bypass output, which is a bit confusing. Will it help to use one of these buffered outputs to drive my cables or do you think I may need a separate unit. I'm hoping not to get another box for my board.

Also the Voodoo-Vibe is before my OD's, will the buffered output mess with them? Lot's of questions, sorry about that. Hope someone can help.

2. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

3. playon

playon Supporting Member

I exchanged some emails with Alan Durham, who builds the SexDrive and Mucho Boosto pedals, he told me he thought the TU-2 had an excellent buffer circuit, use it at the end of your pedal chain (last in line) and it should work great.

4. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Great! Thanks playon. In fact I use it in front of my Memory Lane. Does it really matter if it's there?

5. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I always liked the sound when using the TU-2, I did a little test with and without it and the signal seemed stronger with the TU-2. So I believe that it has a good buffer.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I actually try to NOT have any buffers in my signal path. I used them for years, Palmer, Axess, Klon, etc. and always heard this strange tone in the highend, which I hate. I started taking out all the buffers and love my tone.

7. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

First, plug your guitar into your amp and take note of the tone and signal strength. Then, put the buffer(s) at different postions in the fx chain and see what difference there is in the tone, and how close it comes to plugging directly into your amp. It should be obvious how much effect it's having.

I got great results using an Axess BS2, and then recently sold it and I'm now using a VHT Valvulator 1 with a NOS Tesla E83CC and it is killer! All buffers will color the tone somewhat, so the question is whether you like what they're doing to the tone. Both the Axess BS2 and Valvulator 1 are great, but I much prefer the V1 - the improvement is significant.

8. playon

playon Supporting Member

If all your other pedals are true bypass, you could try the Boss at the beginning of the chain.

9. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I had Mark Stephenson custom make me one with a tuner out, he supplied 12 volt trany. It is dead silent with about 7-10 db of UNCOLORED boost -made to run at the top of the chain to insure the original signal will met at the amp though 30-40 feet of cable and numerous pedals. It is like plugged right into to the amp with nothing in between!