Lets talk 335s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jrjones, Aug 17, 2019.

1. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Very nice! With those two it's hard to imagine a base you couldn't cover.

2. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Did you try one with a Schaller roller bridge? I find that makes a vast improvement in tuning stability. Locking heads and plenty of graphite in the nut slots help too.

3. HTSMetal

HTSMetal Member

That CME sale will live on in the annals of GAS history. I picked up the beauty below, love it from tip to tail and it'll be the last guitar in my collection I ever part with!

[​IMG]

b80, Windup 43, C-4 and 5 others like this.
  4. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier

Don't play mine as much as I should. I find it a little large uncomfortable compared to my others, but there's no questioning the tones or versatility of a 335. '84 RI with push/pulls on both pups

[​IMG]

HERSCHEL likes this.
  5. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

I aspire to be the latter

6. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

Geeze. I'm not even a 335 fan but this thread is awesome. Lots of great info!

HERSCHEL, jrjones and JumpinBradFlash like this.
  7. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

Were all the vintage 335’s and similar models solid top or where some laminates?

8. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Here’s my CME sale 335. The necks are larger than previous 335s with the slim taper neck. More like a 50s neck on a Traditional. I love mine and don’t have a LP any more. The best of the best of the 335s I have had over the years.

b80 likes this.
  9. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

I want the new charcoal sparkle.

10. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

335s 345s 355s have always been laminates.

ctreitzell and JumpinBradFlash like this.
  11. Gilky

Gilky Gold Supporting Member

Nothing like a great 335! Gil Yaron content...

[​IMG]

gkoelling, C-4, Voxshall and 2 others like this.
  12. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

Thanks.

I’m weighing up laminate and solid top options from Eastman ATM. A 335 is out of my budget ATM unfortunately

The main difference appears to be the potential for more feedback in the solid top? I assume there’s other differences in tone, etc

13. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Somr might think I'm crazy, but I hear a funky kind of quality often in the laminates. It's a big part of what I love about them. Not always and using effects can kill it. Generally the cleaner and quieter, the more I hear it. I can be elusive but to me it what a 335 is all about. The solid tops IMO tend to have a purer sound, whether that's better or worse is a matter of taste. The one carved top semi I had was a CS336. Those do have a smaller body and that's gotta be a factor, but I thought it had a really different character. Very nice, but I'll take the lams. A lot of people would prefer the solid carved top though.

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  14. dwk302

dwk302 Member

I love my 63 Reissue.

15. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

Thanks ! Not sure what the asterisk means( original mid 60's 3*5s) but I do know that in terms of how they originally sounded the varitone apparently tends/tended to drift over time plus Gibson tried a few things to eliminate some of the weight. It's interesting that a number of 345's made it to the U.K as used by everyone from George Harrison to Tony Hicks(Hollies ) and many other British Invasion players - far more than was seen here in the U.S.

Jayyj likes this.
  16. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

*It's just an lazy way to avoid typing out all three models whenever you want to say 335s. 345s and 355s!

Yeah, some old varitones sound better than others these days - the one in my '65 355 is pretty useless but I've played others I enjoyed messing around with. There's a few other issues with the vintage ones, such as pickups out of phase (which sounds pretty cool but means you don't have the classic 335 twin pickup tone), a weird loading issue when you use a stereo to mono lead or rewire the jack to mono and the vintage varitone isn't true bypass. Still, it's kind of cool.

I always think of the 355 as the Brit model when it comes to 3*5s - Johnny Marr used one on a lot of early Smiths TV promos then Bernard Butler and Noel Gallagher both adopted the model. I find whenever I get talking 355s on Instagram it's not long before one of us says so, hey, are you a Smiths/Suede fan? Me too! And there's a few Noel guys on there too. So if we get to claim one 335 model for the Brits I vote 355!

17. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Lot of 335 love but I have to be in the try one first category. I gigged my 335 last week and while I am tall, I still find it to be an awkward large platform. I play standing and between the strap button on the heel and the size of the guitar, the neck and knobs felt out of reach. I realize there is an element of familiarity with other guitars I use and I would get used to playing the 335 if I invested the time. But I am just having a much more comfortable ride on other guitars. Sonically it is just fine and covers the music I am playing no problem. Maybe if I played sitting I would like it better. I have had one for years and it has never stayed my gigging guitar for long. Like more than a couple of shows. I have also considered having the strap button moved to the "ear" but that is kind of an involved no going back process.

I have wanted to like the 335 for a while now. And I haven't quite given up. But I am beginning to get a message that they may not be for me. As for gotta be a Gibson? Nope. There are a lot of brands that scratch that itch once you open your ears.

They do look good though.

hunter

[​IMG]

Average Joe likes this.
  18. Trickyrick85

Trickyrick85 Member

I myself have been on hunt for a 335 as of late. It's a sound that has resonated with me for many years. I've been researching in an effort to do my due diligence prior to committing, what to me, is a rather large sum of money. I've tried to heed what many others have said about playing before purchasing, but given my geographic location, it's near impossible to find one in any local music shop. I've decided to take the risk of purchasing online. I was quoted a good deal on a brand new figured 335 and told they had a no questions 45 day return policy. Have any of you had much experience buying online? Anyone have any info to share regarding the new run of 335s? I've heard that the Memphis factory has been recently shut down and the new/current production guitars will be manufactured in Nashville once again. Any information you could share with me would be vastly appreciated.

19. romiso

romiso Silver Supporting Member

I had a moment of doubt with my CME-blowout '58RI recently. I was finding it really difficult to play and was considering either selling it outright or trying to trade it for one with a smaller neck. I decided to work on the setup instead and realized I could lower the action significantly without buzzing and now it's playing really well. I have flatwound 11s on it currently so I take a different approach to it than my other guitars but it has now rejoined the "never sell" list.

b80, Jayyj and zhivago like this.
  20. Yooper

Yooper Member

For what it's worth, I really prefer the Heritage H535 with the input jack on the edge instead of out in front on the top.

[​IMG]

gkoelling likes this.