Lets talk 335s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jrjones, Aug 17, 2019.

1. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I’d suggest Norm’s Guitars in Reseda if you’re here in LA. That’s where I bought my 335 as well as a handful of my other favorite guitars. There’s always a good assortment of most era’s to check out.

With that mentioned and 50+ years of guitar ownership, an ES model may be perhaps the most inconsistent guitar I’ve played with the exception of maybe old acoustics. There may be a consistency on neck sizes for given years, but two 335’s sitting next to one another can be completely different sounding and feeling guitars. I played about 8 different vintage 335’s and the player grade 67’ I left with just blew away all of them including a mint 61’ with Bigsby that was $19.5k. You really need to get your hands on one to know if it’s right.

That said, just about every new model 335 I’ve played the last few years has been consistently really good.

C-4 and ctreitzell like this.
  2. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

I'll be down there next week. My bro knows where to go, yet Norm's shall be on our circuit; thanks for the tip =-)

Again, I am looking at 355, specifically...I'll report back after I have seen as many as I can.

KennyM and JWhite like this.
  3. wmachine

wmachine Member

I think you make a very good point here. "Bonding" with a guitar (for lack of a better term) is not just sitting back and expecting the guitar to come to you. That's a pretty narcissistic approach to take. I think a real musician makes the effort to get whatever they can out of their instrument. Not to expect the instrument to yield to them.
    You are now reaping the rewards of making that effort.

Jayyj and romiso like this.
  4. OHSOFUZZY

OHSOFUZZY Member

I went with an 80s ES-347. Similar but has deeper bridge anchors and coil split switch.

ctreitzell likes this.
  5. christophervolume

christophervolume Member

Try checking out some 2010 and beyond Memphis plant models. Really great guitars. My 2011 is still my #1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

b80, budglo58 and mrsongbird like this.
  6. McGTR

McGTR Member

I would also consider the Reverend Club King as a 335 type guitar (semihollow w/humbuckers), and it's a hugely versatile guitar that can cop tele, LP and Gretsch type tones..

7. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

another vote for that combo here, that’s my normal double-bag picks unless i have tuning/slide related considerations that bumps one of them out.

hard to imagine much that two good examples of those guitars can’t cover.

8. Nacho8807

Nacho8807 Member

Ever since I picked up my Epi Dot a few years back its become one of my favorite guitars. It plays so nicely, and I've been putting off replacing the electronics because they aren't bad enough to be a priority, which for me speaks volumes. I'd love to get my hands on a nice USA built model though. As a traditionally hard rock, LP and Super Strat player I have a big appreciation for these things.

9. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later

This is how and where I bought my latest RI '63 335.

I previously had a '59 blonde Custom Shop RI, but I prefer my 335 to have the '63 dimensions and neck profile.

10. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    [QUOTE="KennyM, post: 29108609, member:
    That said, just about every new model 335 I’ve played the last few years has been consistently really good.[/QUOTE]

This is true. The Memphis 335's built between 2014 and 2016 got especially great cudos from most of the players who have one. I'm sure other years close to these mentioned are as good, but when I was buying mine, I took whatever CME sent me, and it turned out to be a stellar sounding and playing one from 2016. And, the hide glue makes a difference in sound transfer. MY 335 vibrates openly.

11. misterg71

misterg71 Supporting Member

I bought one of the CME Memphis blowout 335s’ back in early ‘18. It was an ES-335 ‘58 RI VOS model. And while I’ve always been a rock and blues guy who played solid body guitars, that 335 was magical. Not sure if it was the Hyde glue, or just the right combination of woods. That thing had such a pronounced and vibrant voice when strumming it while not plugged in. It would vibrate my whole torso when playing, it just felt alive! I’ve yet to find another 335 style that sounded nearly as good. I picked up a cheap Epi Dot, and while it’s fine given the price point, it can’t even hold the VOSs’ pick-bag. It truly sucked that I sold that VOS. I currently have a ‘19 Heritage H-535 which is very nice, but even that doesn’t move me nearly as much as the Gibson did.

12. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

13. Joe L

Joe L Supporting Member

gkoelling likes this.
  14. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I searched for years for a good 335. I found the one above used a while back. After tweaking the set up (fret work, neck adjustment, changed the nut and the saddles and top wrapped it), it is my main guitar now. I have sold off all of my other guitars except my Tele.
    It is a 2016 Memphis 63 custom ordered with a fancy flame and an over sized neck. The neck is basically a 59 shape. The pups and controls of these guitars are what i liked over some others i have played. I believe I read that they have low, or maybe no, potting, are fairly low output and have the 50s wiring harness. The knobs work as you expect and there is no mud. Just a monster player now with sublime tone.

I will say that the set up on it when I got it sucked. Its truss was out of adjustment and there were high frets. The nut and saddles were poorly cut as well. Some of this may have been the previous owners fault but some of it was the manufactures fault. I would not have been happy to custom order such an expensive guitar and get that set up (that may be why I was able to get it fairly reasonably). All that said it is now a stellar player with 11's.

15. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

I love the es-335. I had dreamed of having one ever since seeing Pete Hayes of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club playing them live all the way back in 2007. Fast forward to three years ago, my godmom started telling me that one day she was going to buy me one for getting clean... i shrugged it off. That following year she passed, and I was contacted by an insurance company out of the blue...had no idea about it. Anyhow, she did buy me one... a 2000 black Dot. It's an amazing guitar. Neck is perfect, has a nice weight to it, and rings like a bell. It handles everything you can throw at it. Awesome guitars, can go from sweet to brutal on this beauty. Get one if you can.

[​IMG]

b80, Urobouros, SgtThump and 7 others like this.
  16. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Great story, that's one you never sell.

Lung plunger likes this.
  17. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Love this statement! I end up buying quite a few guitars sight unseen, thanks to the UK essentially having the dregs of what vintage guitars are out there combined with ridiculously high pricing, and it's rare I feel like I made a mistake. A few it was love at first sight, but not all of those guitars worked for me straight out of the case - most of them needed set up work, often I need a few hours to get familiar with the neck shape, some didn't work with my usual choice of string gauges or didn't work with my usual amp and pedal settings - but sooner or later, a light bulb goes on and I get it.

Guitars have personalities, and sometimes you have to get to know them a bit before you get on - but it'd be boring if they were all the same.

romiso and JumpinBradFlash like this.
  18. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

I visited LA Guitar Center (North Hollywood) yesterday. They have a walnut 1973 ES-355 and 74 345. I should start by saying the service that Whitney honored me with yesterday was simply perfect; kind and informed. He didn't treat me like a tire kicker and set me up while helping others at the same time. Great service!

The 355 has a snapped off headstock repair (and not a pretty one), Bigsby replaced with a basic trapeze; I opted to not even play it.

I auditioned the 345 and a 1980 347.

345 neck is too much of a baseball bat for me. Sounded good, altho I believe it has been repotted. For $4K, I didn't love it.

The 347 ticks A LOT of boxes for me. I played it for about an hour thru an old Fender Pro and Friedman Buxom Betty. The main negative for me is the weight; it's much heavier than I expected. Neck is a bit fatter than I prefer, but really nice 5pc maple which you don't typically get on a 355. The boost toggle is cool. The case for this one at Hollywood GC is an Epiphone o_O.
    Electronics are stellar, almost as clean as my Byrdland.

OK, that said, the 2018 330 and the 2019 335 Blueberry I auditioned earlier this year both sounded much more lively and dynamic than the 345 and 347 I auditioned yesterday. The 330 had the nicest feeling neck of all of them; the 335 was the worst...it actually felt dangerously unfinished (sharp fret ends in fretboard edge). The 2019 335 Figured Blueberry definitely sounded the best, tho:crazy

I didn't audition anything else at GC yesterday, cuz I am looking for a 355. I want the headstock parallelogram and a high end Gibson case.

Search continues..

19. singlecutarmy

singlecutarmy Member

I came REALLY close to selling my EC256 shortly after buying it because I wasn't used to the single cut fret access.

Somewhere along the line, I clicked with it, and it was, probably, the most comfortable and responsive guitar I've ever played, or at least tied with all the other great ones (I feel like I've played a lot of 10/10 guitars, no point in saying one 10 is better than another.)

I did eventually sell it, because I'm a superficial bitch who couldn't get over the LTD inlays and headstock. But it was years later after thoroughly falling in love with it, and it being a catalyst to a lot of practice and improvement in my playing from the joy it brought me.

Jayyj likes this.
  20. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I’m a relative noob to ES-335’s, I’ve played mostly Les Pauls and Fenders forever. But I picked this one up last year, and it’s been one of the most versatile and best sounding guitars I’ve ever owned...I took a chance buying online (from what I’d heard, ES-335’s can vary pretty wildly, but the specs seemed to tic all the boxes), and I’ve been very pleased with it :)

DV52, TA22GT, JumpinBradFlash and 2 others like this.